Canadians! NCL does not accept mixed doses of vaccines

Hadacareer

7 hours ago, GeriatricNurse said:

I feel extremely fortunate that I received (BOTH) doses of the (SAME) Covid-19 Vaccine, 'Pfizer', (nine weeks apart), at the (SAME) Health Care Facility, by a Registered Nurse, at both times!  I can hardly wait to book a cruise and will have absolutely NO concerns with the possibility of having to wear a mask and socially distance during the cruise; (with NO desire to go ashore at ANY Ports of Call)! 😁

It is very frustrating I know.   The fact your shots were more than 42 days apart is unfortunate and does not meet the US FDA requirements. Hope things do change in the near future so we can all go back to cruising.   

15 hours ago, gardening_guy said:

The whole situation is a mess and due to my delayed second shot (thanks Ont government) and my wife’s mixed shot (thanks Ont government) it seems both of our future cruises may get cancelled.  These were planned to be my last but it’s very disappointing to have to cancel them.  I guess we will save the money for retirement or home renovations.. I’ll say one thing, neither Ford or Trudeau will ever get a vote of mine that’s for sure.  When we took those shots who knew we could be setting up a barrier to travelling to many countries.  So disgusted by it all.

I think you have every right to be frustrated.  I agree things haven't been handled very well.   I'm not a fan of Ford or Trudeau, but at the same time, I'm not sure who would have done a better job?   Let's be honest, this whole pandemic is a poop-show.  Still, I hear what you are saying and I don't disagree with your feelings of frustration.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, armwinder said:

However, Royal Caribbean will accommodate guests who are vaccinated with mixed mRNA vaccines, such as 1 shot of Pfizer and 1 shot of Moderna. The doses must be separated by at least 28 days and not more than 42 days.

So, I understand this to be MIXED DOSES must be no more then 42 days apart.

Ugh, clarity is needed here. Also, this is only RC right? 

I had 2 doses of Pfizer but unfortunately I'm 52 days apart. Just assumed I was good to go. We dont sail until March. Hopefully there will be some changes before then. 

Edited by son3cruisers

6 minutes ago, son3cruisers said:

I had 2 doses of Pfizer but unfortunately I'm 52 days apart. Just assumed I was good to go. We dont sail until March. Hopefully there will be some changes before then. 

• Like 1

What vaccines will be accepted?

For ships embarking or disembarking at US ports, U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) and/or World Health Organization (WHO) authorized single brand vaccination protocol will be accepted. Including, J&J Janssen, Pfizer-BioNTech, Moderna, AstraZeneca/Oxford. Mixed vaccination protocol will not be accepted (i.e. Pfizer + Moderna or AstraZeneca + Pfizer, etc).

All Other Vessels departing from a non US port will accept any U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA), European Medicines Agency (EMA), or World Health Organization (WHO) authorized single brand vaccination protocol. Or a mixed vaccination protocol of only AstraZeneca-SK Bio, Pfizer-BioNTech or Moderna combinations.

Vaccines received via clinical trials will not be accepted as they do not specify vaccine received.

Cruises with embarkation dates through October 31, 2021: 
All guests sailing aboard cruises with embarkation dates through October 31, 2021, are required to be fully vaccinated, at least 2 weeks prior to departure, in order to board. Vaccines combined with multi-layered and robust preventative health and safety measures, including universal COVID-19 testing prior to embarkation, will help us provide a uniquely safe and healthy vacation environment that we believe exceeds all other vacation choices on land and at sea. Each guest must present proof they have completed the full cycle of required doses for the vaccine administered at least 2 weeks prior to their sail date. Guests who are not old enough to be vaccinated will not be allowed on these sailings.

Cruises with embarkation dates beginning November 1, 2021: Given the ever-evolving nature of the pandemic, the accelerating rollout of the vaccine, and the speed of scientific learnings, it is premature to make decisions on our health and safety protocols for cruises with embarkation dates beginning November 1, 2021. We will continue to evaluate our health and safety protocols and rely on science and our expert council as we make decisions and evolve our policies and procedures.

Nowhere does it mention any time span required between the vaccinations.

And as you said this could well change by the time you cruise.

I'm faced with a 19 day cruise out of England for which I will (so far) have to quarantine for 14 days. Which will cause us to cancel.

There's lots of crap going on out there & it's changing on a daily basis.

Cheers,

Sandy

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Samstress said:

I'm faced with a 19 day cruise out of England for which I will (so far) have to quarantine for 14 days. Which will cause us to cancel.

Cheers,

Sandy

Thats disappointing. Im sorry to hear that. Thanks for posting. I thought for sure I read over NCL policy and it did not mention the time span between doses.

Edited by son3cruisers

2 minutes ago, Samstress said:

Cheers,

Sandy

That really sucks.  Are you able to rebook for perhaps next year?  Might be a bit more stable then (maybe?)

44 minutes ago, Samstress said:

Cheers,

Sandy

Timing of Your Second Shot

The timing between your first and second shots depends on which vaccine you received. If you received the:

Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 vaccine
Get your second shot 3 weeks (or 21 days) after your first

Moderna COVID-19 vaccine
Get your second shot 4 weeks (or 28 days) after your first

You should get your second shot as close to the recommended 3-week or 4-week interval as possible. However, your second dose may be given up to 6 weeks (42 days) after the first dose, if necessary. You should not get the second dose early. There is currently limited information on the effectiveness of receiving your second shot earlier than recommended or later than 6 weeks after the first shot.

However, if you do receive your second shot of COVID-19 vaccine earlier or later than recommended, you do not have to restart the vaccine series. This guidance might be updated as more information becomes available.

Cases of myocarditis and pericarditis in adolescents and young adults have been reported more often after getting the second dose than after the first dose of one of these two mRNA COVID-19 vaccines. These reports are rare and the known and potential benefits of COVID-19 vaccination outweigh the known and potential risks, including the possible risk of myocarditis or pericarditis.

Scheduling Your Second Shot

• P

Checkmark-250x250-1.png

lanning for your second shot is important.
  • If you need help scheduling your vaccination appointment for your second shot, contact the location that set up your first appointment.

• If you are having trouble or have questions about using a vaccination management or scheduling system, reach out to the organization that enrolled you in the system. This may be your state or local health department, employer, or vaccination provider.

• Scheduling an appointment for your second shot at the time you get your first shot is recommended, but not required.

• If you need to get your second shot in a location that is different from where you received your first shot (for example, if you moved to a different state or attend school in a different state), there are several ways you can find a vaccine provider for your second dose.

Vaccination Card and Your Second Shot

BC’s current approach: BC Centre For Disease Control  

 The goal of BC’s COVID-19 immunization program is to minimize serious COVID-19 outcomes. To achieve this goal, BC has adopted the recommendation by the Canadian National Advisory Committee on Immunization (NACI) to extend dose intervals.

 Providing a first dose faster to as many people as possible saves more lives and avoid cases, hospitalisations and deaths.  Completion of the COVID-19 vaccination schedule (currently set at 2 doses) remains important to provide long-term protection.

How BC’s approach aligns nationally and compares internationally:

 In Canada, most jurisdictions have adopted NACI’s recommendation and extended the interval for the second dose to up to 4 months.  In the United Kingdom, Quebec, and Finland, the practice of extending the interval to the second dose up to 12 weeks (or even later) after the first dose has been in place for months. Argentina, Estonia, and Hungary also switched to this approach relatively more recently.  European Medicines Agency and World Health Organisation support using a longer interval up to 6 weeks. 

The US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has recommended that manufacturer’s schedule should be followed whenever possible, but administration of second dose could be extended up to 6 weeks. In conclusion 

On balance, using a longer interval between the first and the second dose is ethical and justifiable public health policy to maximize population level benefit in the context of limited supply and relatively high community transmission of the SARS-CoV-2 virus. 

• Like 5

35 minutes ago, Samstress said:

Armwinder.  Where does this information come from?  I cannot find anything on NCL site that says anything about the time frame between shots?  

NCL is complying with the US FDA requirements as are some other cruise lines and businesses.   The FDA follow the manufactures guidelines regarding each vaccine manufacturer. Mixing of vaccines just one of them,  receiving  the full cycle of required doses is another. The over 42 day cycle is not one of them.   Lets hope things do change. CTV showed a couple out of Chilliwack BC who have the timings issue.  CBC also have a story on it.  Each cruise line has a different take on things. I hope it gets sorted out in the next few months, not holding my breath though. 

Edited by armwinder

Been fortunate to have the double Pfizer doses, but have been waiting for the time interval between shots to rear its head.  Hopefully as stated above that the continued research shows/proves that deployment strategy was valid.  If not hopefully the proposed Pfizer booster shot will be adopted by Canada and deployed in a prudent manner and is sufficient for all agencies to accept as fully vaccinated.  I'll snag the booster asap, but am a bit concerned on the Moderna research, that is what wife was double dosed with.  We fortunately have time on our side as we do not sail until 2023.

5 hours ago, Samstress said:

When we were first offered a Covid vaccine in March of 2021 I wouldn't have cared what type it was.  At that point we were just so happy to have something that would give us a modicum of protection.  And I felt that same way about our second vaccine shot which was administered in June of 2021.  

If someone had told me there was a possibility that I might not be able to cruise due to mixing of vaccines I would still have chosen the vaccine in a heartbeat.  

Mine & my family's health and well being are worth more to me that any trip.  

I don't blame any presently in power party for the situation.  Our Government owned Labs, which were meant to produce vaccines in Canada,  but were privatized & eventually sold to a foreign Company many years ago.  

Now...don't talk to me about Canadians having to quarantine if we travel to a Commonwealth country:-))

Happy sailing everyone...even if it's just in our imaginations for now.

Sandy

I feel exactly the same way. And, I can't blame any government in Canada for policies set by the US CDC or some other countries. For now, we will likely cancel the two cruises we have booked on Princess and NCL since not only are our mixed vaccines an issue but our travel insurance won't cover a Level 4 travel advisory destination which includes cruise ships.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, son3cruisers said:

1 hour ago, Samstress said:

It's not until next Spring so hopefully things will have changed by then.  I'm not too worried...the world is a big place & I'm sure we'll find somewhere to spend our money:-). 

The world is indeed a big place. A number of European countries including Germany mixed their shots (even their Chancellor was an AZ-Moderna recipient) so maybe it's time for a river cruise on the Rhine 🙂

• Like 4

36 minutes ago, ALD18 said:

Been fortunate to have the double Pfizer doses, but have been waiting for the time interval between shots to rear its head.  Hopefully as stated above that the continued research shows/proves that deployment strategy was valid.  If not hopefully the proposed Pfizer booster shot will be adopted by Canada and deployed in a prudent manner and is sufficient for all agencies to accept as fully vaccinated.  I'll snag the booster asap, but am a bit concerned on the Moderna research, that is what wife was double dosed with.  We fortunately have time on our side as we do not sail until 2023.

Yes it was only a matter of time before the interval between shots raised it ugly head. I read on the Pfizer web site that even if the 42 day interval was not adhered to a full cycle of vaccine would not be necessary just one more shot.  Lets hope it stays this way  

• Like 2

5 hours ago, adhncruisers said:

I feel exactly the same way. And, I can't blame any government in Canada for policies set by the US CDC or some other countries. For now, we will likely cancel the two cruises we have booked on Princess and NCL since not only are our mixed vaccines an issue but our travel insurance won't cover a Level 4 travel advisory destination which includes cruise ships.

It’s the Canadian governments decision to not follow the clear instructions of the manufacturers,  nothing to do with the US DC.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Samstress said:

I must be blind ....but I still don't see anywhere on NCL where there is a 42 day interval limit.  Can you please post a verifiable link?

It is all there in previous references. NCL are simply conforming to the US FDA orders, or guidelines, if you want.  Don't shoot the messengers. Things may change in the next few months.  Forewarned is forearmed as they say, best to be prepared than not be allowed to board. Two weeks ago or less the rules were very different. 

Edited by armwinder

16 hours ago, armwinder said:

It is very frustrating I know.   The fact your shots were more than 42 days apart is unfortunate and does not meet the US FDA requirements. Hope things do change in the near future so we can all go back to cruising.   

This is INCORRECT information!  There is NO requirement OR stipulation on the interval BETWEEN the two doses of the SAME Covid-19 Vaccine!

BTW, the 'Pfizer' Vaccine has been determined to be 88% effective against the 'DELTA' variant! 😉

• Like 5

4 hours ago, GeriatricNurse said:

This is INCORRECT information!  There is NO requirement OR stipulation on the interval BETWEEN the two doses of the SAME Covid-19 Vaccine!

BTW, the 'Pfizer' Vaccine has been determined to be 88% effective against the 'DELTA' variant! 😉

It’s not a ship or sailing requirement, the interval requirement is to get into certain countries like Trinidad for example.  It can have effects on entry to certain countries that you may be cruising to.

1 hour ago, gardening_guy said:

It’s not a ship or sailing requirement, the interval requirement is to get into certain countries like Trinidad for example.  It can have effects on entry to certain countries that you may be cruising to.

We are planning on cancelling our next couple of cruises as I am not considered fully vaccinated  as they both disembark in the US. We have another out of Copenhagen next year and I am considered fully vaccinated for that one. With things the way they are and new infections around the world I guess we are not out of the woods yet. As another person mentioned if Canada is on a "do not travel recommendation" it could be more difficult to get medical insurance.  Might just stay home for a while.

I think it is only RCI that have a 42 day between doses time stipulation, and as you say other countries have their own rules and regulations. As protocols are changing often it is very difficult to plan. 

• Like 2