Sailaway - chances of getting a higher grade cabin slim to none?

So I am thinking of going on Epic in Sept, and sailaway balcony category is approx $250 cheaper than picking a balcony cabin.

Is it rare to get a decent cabin upgrade, or are you far more likely to get a balcony in an area that's going to be noisy and underneath a restaurant or a hull etc.?

I know there is no guarantee either way, just wondering do people have much experiences of the general outcome with sailaway balconies.

thanks.

I booked a Sailaway Balcony on the Escape a few years ago, got a really nice one on Deck 13, not far from the front bank of elevators.  Booked 5 days before departure date.

I also booked a Sailaway Oceanview on the Gem, wound on up deck 8, up front, was directly over the stage area, large window, only noise was really during the day when the trombonist was practicing.

I also booked both of these as a single traveler (they were both last minute vacation burners) and paid a lot less than booking a specific room.  A lot.  And still got great rooms.

• Like 1

I'm thinking that if they're not sailing at full capacity you have a better chance of getting an upgrade. They will have a few higher categories that they haven't sold, why not give them out & get you hooked or just give them to you for goodwill.

2 hours ago, JamieLogical said:

I have never booked a sailaway (I need my drinks!), but I have booked a guarantee... once for myself and once for my parents. Both cabins ended up being in good locations. It's really just luck.

Thanks. Maybe it's just the EU site, but sailaway category is called BX for me, and allows me to get the Free At Sea for the usual price add on.  

1 hour ago, victory2020 said:

I'm thinking that if they're not sailing at full capacity you have a better chance of getting an upgrade. They will have a few higher categories that they haven't sold, why not give them out & get you hooked or just give them to you for goodwill.

Thanks. Yep, that would make sense wouldn't it.  But no "guarantee" (hah) that it would happen.  And hangovers with too much noise are too much at my age.  I will probably not take the chance!