Court Reverses itself and tosses out Conditional Sail Order

Hlitner

16 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

Sorry to have to say this, but I think at that this time, you are correct.  

So, do we need a new definition of what a vacation is?  Planning for for a cruise or a vacation is not something new.  

If in this current Covid cruising world, we have to "plan" for additional "ifs" and "whatevers" and those lead to one frustration after another, the question ought to be asked by whomever is engaged in such an exercise:  is this what my "vacation" ought to be?  

Fair enough!  Perhaps this is easier for those of us who have long done independent travel and had to deal with extensive research, planning, and knowing our options.  Yes, I have found it a bit more of a challenge, but so far it is quite manageable.   But the theory behind the planning is that once one departs on the vacation/trip it is all quite normal.   To be very honest, my biggest issue at his moment is trying to make adjustments for the awful heat wave we will encounter in Greece.  But this is the normal part of travel.  Those that want everything to be very orderly and without the necessity of planning are just gong to have to sit home for a few more years.  

It almost seemed like normal when the biggest problem we faced in the past few weeks of planning was trying to find somebody....anybody....that would rent us a car on Santorini.  The island is so booked that getting a car (normally an easy exercise) became a big challenge.  I had to go through 3 different companies before #4 confirmed a reservation.   As to dealing with the "frustrations" that has always been part of the independent traveler's creed.  We either learn how to roll with the waves or relegate ourselves to booking organized trips, cruises, and tours.

Hank

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

But the theory behind the planning is that once one departs on the vacation/trip it is all quite normal.

Until it isn't.  Pre-Covid:  one could be more hopeful that one's expectation/plans would be fulfilled.  During this Covid period of travel, the reports that I am reading, one needs to be prepared to be able to "go with the flow" of whatever happens more than one might initially expect.  

14 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

Those that want everything to be very orderly and without the necessity of planning are just gong to have to sit home for a few more years.  

15 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

As to dealing with the "frustrations" that has always been part of the independent traveler's creed.  We either learn how to roll with the waves

.....or becoming a very unhappy traveler.  One does not have to be a completely "independent traveler" to learn this lesson.    

Yeah, we hear ya.  Somehow DW and I have managed to continue traveling (not cruising) throughout this pandemic.  We simply practiced reasonable precautions and went to places where it was possible including trips to South Carolina, Mexico, and Florida.  Now it is time to head over to Greece (for a cruise and some independent island hopping) and later on to the Caribbea  All of our trips during the Pandemic have been very good and fun.   Sure. we have had to make adjustments to keep the COVID risk within our own risk tolerance level.  

If we do become unhappy travelers we would likely stay home!  But that has not happened in over fifty years of extensive travel.  The thing about COVID is that some folks seem to think that it will just go away in a few months, a year, etc.  I think that COVID will be with us for the rest of my lifetime and for many more years after I am gone.  Folks either learn to live their lives with this awful disease or they don't!  The choice should be theirs...although many politicians now want to make the choices for all of us.

Hank