Haiti jet ski excursion

33 minutes ago, letscutitout said:

I'd like to try this excursion.

If you have done it & never driven a jet ski, is it difficult? scary?

I really want to but am nervous about it.

Thoughts ????

I haven't done this specific excursion, but I have ridden JetSki several times. It's a bit tricky learning to shift your weight on turns, but once you get a hang of it, it's very fun. If the water is choppy or too windy they usually cancel these types of excursions.

Not very difficult.  Go to just about any big lake in the US and you’ll find kids too young to get a learner’s permit for a car driving a jet ski.  Getting thrown off can be a concern if you turn too fast or are in areas where the water is choppy (flying into the water is unlikely to hurt you, but getting back on is much trickier from the water than it is on the dock), but if you just go easy until you get the hang of it and you’ll be fine.

I've done the jet ski excursion in Labadee and in CocoCay. They are both run with the same way. It's a "follow the leader" concept where they order the participants such that fastest person is slated for the first spot ... and so on down the line. They stop periodically and re-order the line so that the speed demons can get their adrenaline-high without overtaking someone in front. My daughter was a bit unsure at first and she ended up a bit farther down the line initially, but she got the hang of it and made substantial progress. 

I was the only one who volunteered to go first and they were pretty hesitant about giving it to me. I blame the gray hair. But they never demoted me. It is a blast.

Frankly, they should have two different types of excursions. There should be a family-rated one that allows people a chance to enjoy the activity if they aren't looking for a speed rush. I wouldn't do this tandem with my grandkids. I have this unsettling visual of the kid flying off the back screaming "NANA" while I continue my quest to match the leader's every move.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

We have done it multiple times at Labadee.  I ride with my husband and he has jet ski experience so we will go somewhere in the front / middle of the group but not first. 😉

With no experience, they will put you at the end of the line or near the end of the line. They have a guide at the front and another at the back of the line. You view an instruction and safety video before you ride. 

It is fun. 🙂

.....did this several years ago in Labadee.

The jet ski part was fun for all skill levels.

Just when I thought I could get away from vendors trying to sell useless trinkets,

the guides stopped the group on the water where some vendors in canoes came

over to us to do just that.  🤨

Not looking forward to that. Sounds like my trip to Jamaica where I walked into a little hut & the lady blocked the door (with me inside) & started pushing all these baskets at me!

Edited by letscutitout

My first time riding a jetski was on the excursion in Haiti. They gave a little instruction and basically put you in a line, told you to keep up with the group, and took off at full speed. It was not fun for someone who had zero experience. It was terrible. 

I suggest if you really want to do the excursion in Haiti to get some experience elsewhere before you go. Because of the excursion and how it was handled, I have yet to get back on a jetski…

• Like 1

To the OP. I see your location is Florida.

Depending on where, you may find a location nearby that rents jet skis.

I would look into renting one and giving it a try at your own pace.

(...or make friends with someone that has one).

(Check requirements for FL boating safety course).

https://myfwc.com/boating/safety-education/faqs/

I have done it several times at Coco Cay.

You do not have to go fast.  Go the pace you are comfortable with.  If you get too far behind, the clean up rider (another employee) will lead you to where the group stopped.  

But one thing is, they are more stable at higher speed,  The do not wallow around as much.