How does Uniworld handle it if you get sick with Covid while on a cruise?

ninaks

I am currently booked to do a Uniworld cruise for October on the Rhine and Moselle.  Trying to decide if need to cancel and reschedule or not.  Does anyone know the policy if you were to get sick while on the cruise, how is that handled?  I am just concerned with the Delta variant being so contagious, even though i am fully vaccinated.  Do they do testing during the cruise at all?   Would you need to quarantine on the ship or off?  Who would pay for that if you have to leave the ship and how would this all impact the person you are sharing a cabin with?  I know, so many questions.....  My gut is telling me I should cancel, oh but my heart really wants to go on this trip.....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ninaks said:

I am currently booked to do a Uniworld cruise for October on the Rhine and Moselle.  Trying to decide if need to cancel and reschedule or not.  Does anyone know the policy if you were to get sick while on the cruise, how is that handled?  I am just concerned with the Delta variant being so contagious, even though i am fully vaccinated.  Do they do testing during the cruise at all?   Would you need to quarantine on the ship or off?  Who would pay for that if you have to leave the ship and how would this all impact the person you are sharing a cabin with?  I know, so many questions.....  My gut is telling me I should cancel, oh but my heart really wants to go on this trip.....

On 7/28/2021 at 5:21 PM, ninaks said:

Uniworld just resumed sailing on select itineraries, so I don't think any of us can answer those questions until the situations arise onboard and someone reports back on how they were handled.  

Edited by Roz

I wish they would release their protocols so we can decide what to do. I’m not comfortable with finding this out after I get on the boat. We’re sailing on another river cruise company in October, and I can’t find the answers to these questions. 

I just read an article in Condé Nast travel dated 7/27 about what happened when people tested positive on a Viking Sky cruise to Iceland. They were sequestered on the boat with another person, and then taken to another location to finish their quarantine when the cruise ended. No more details on that. When it happened, people were on shore excursions and brought immediately back to the boat. I think they went on another shore excursion and once again, they had to leave the next days shore excursion in the middle of it. They had extra sea days. 

Basic protocol for almost all lines as outlined by IG River Cruise is "quarantine" in the room together with the room mate, but after that I am also lost as the pdf file simply states  "according to government rules" or something. Boat? Special hotel? Etc. What about the contacts? The crew? It will differ from country to country a little I should think.

I wonder if it would be helpful to contact IG River Cruise?

https://igrivercruise.com/en/index.php

notamermaid

My travel agent contacted Uniworld. If you test positive once the cruise starts,  He was told we would be put off the ship at the next port and you would not get a refund.      You would be responsible for quarantine expenses once off the ship.  i know you can purchase travel insurance that will cover some quarantine expenses but i don't know if it would cover what i am sure would be a large cost to change flights to dates after quarantine.  This is the scenario that really bothers me because I personally know 4 fully vaccinated people that have Covid now and 2 of them got it from another vaccinated person.  Delta variant is just so contagious and i believe the number of breakthrough mild cases are underreported since you can be asymptomatic or just feel like you have a cold.   We have made the very difficult decision to cancel our cruise in October.  We plan to reschedule for next fall.   I am so sad about this but i know i would be kicking myself if I caught covid during the cruise and was quarantined.  

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, ninaks said:

My travel agent contacted Uniworld. If you test positive once the cruise starts,  He was told we would be put off the ship at the next port and you would not get a refund.      You would be responsible for quarantine expenses once off the ship.  i know you can purchase travel insurance that will cover some quarantine expenses but i don't know if it would cover what i am sure would be a large cost to change flights to dates after quarantine.  This is the scenario that really bothers me because I personally know 4 fully vaccinated people that have Covid now and 2 of them got it from another vaccinated person.  Delta variant is just so contagious and i believe the number of breakthrough mild cases are underreported since you can be asymptomatic or just feel like you have a cold.   We have made the very difficult decision to cancel our cruise in October.  We plan to reschedule for next fall.   I am so sad about this but i know i would be kicking myself if I caught covid during the cruise and was quarantined.  

This was the "general information" I received from my agent also. Not specific to Uniworld. She knew of people who were put off at the next port and had to quarantine at a hotel until they could fly back home. They had said the US Embassy and airlines were in constant touch. I don't know why the US Embassy but with the airlines - they had to change their plane tickets a few times (not sure why).