LIVE (hopefully) from the Nieuw Amsterdam's 2nd Alsakan Sailing

Brentt_M

27 minutes ago, Boytjie said:

I don't wish this to become a back and forth about whether to wear a mask or not. I merely stated that I have started wearing masks more in indoor situations. Living in New York I have worn a mask on the subways everytime I have been on it. And yes, I am vaccinated. 

I’m wearing one now, in the comedy show.  I think I’m the only non-staff wearing one.

• Like 7

4 minutes ago, Brentt_M said:

So Gala night in the main dining room was absolutely underwhelming.  I had escargot that was only luke warm at best. My son had the crab deviled eggs and said they were very good. Kali just had a caesar salad to start as nothing appealed to her.  For entrees I had the fish, which was barramundi and was pretty much tasteless. Kali went with filet and I let Lawson "indulge" and get the taste of Alaska for +$30 (definitely not worth it and won't do that again). For dessert Lawson went with the strawberry Romanoff and I had thr chocolate souffle.  Lawson ended up eating both.

Your kids are amazing!  Seems like they have great palates and can eat anything. My DS would only eat steak every night. 

I am happy you are having such a great time. I am enjoying everything you are posting. Enjoy your day in Juneau tomorrow!  I’ll be watching sail in on the webcam. 

49 minutes ago, Sharon in AZ said:

Your kids are amazing!  Seems like they have great palates and can eat anything. My DS would only eat steak every night. 

I am happy you are having such a great time. I am enjoying everything you are posting. Enjoy your day in Juneau tomorrow!  I’ll be watching sail in on the webcam. 

I am very lucky. Both of my kids are truly amazing and great human beings.

As for trying food... since a young age I have told them they should always be willing to try new things. There is no way to know if you will like it or not without trying.  You do NOT have to like everything you try, that is completely fine. This applies to much more than just food though.

• Like 19

So the MDR didn't quite do it for me tonight and craps was not good....  However, sushi can help ease both of those things!

Spicy tuna and spicy scallop rolls and they let me box them up and take them back to my cabin.

20210801_212449.jpg

20210801_212501.jpg

Edited by Brentt_M
  • Like 18

Well, I finally found this thread, and I'm all caught up. @Brentt_M my condolences to you and the kids on the death of your wife and their mom. Hopefully, this cruise will bring back happy memories, while making new ones. Thank you for taking us along on the ship!

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Brentt_M said:

So the MDR didn't quite do it for me tonight and craps was not good....  However, sushi can help ease both of those things!

Spicy tuna and spicy scallop rolls and they let me box them up and take them back to my cabin.

20210801_212449.jpg

20210801_212501.jpg

Great.  Now it’s 10 pm and I want sushi.

• Haha 2

Just a heads up, comic Warren B. Hall was also fantastic.

Having been on a ship two weeks ago with two mediocre comics, it was refreshing to both laugh and not see all of the punch lines coming a mile away.  Highly recommended!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Brentt_M said:

20210801_212449.jpg

20210801_212501.jpg

What an amazing "take out"! Never thought of that and now it's on my "list"!! 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, liam1965 said:

Just a heads up, comic Warren B. Hall was also fantastic.

Having been on a ship two weeks ago with two mediocre comics, it was refreshing to both laugh and not see all of the punch lines coming a mile away.  Highly recommended!

I walked by during his set and the audience seemed like they were truly enjoying him and was real laughs and not fake/forced.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Brentt_M said:

So Gala night in the main dining room was absolutely underwhelming.  I had escargot that was only luke warm at best. My son had the crab deviled eggs and said they were very good. Kali just had a caesar salad to start as nothing appealed to her.  For entrees I had the fish, which was barramundi and was pretty much tasteless. Kali went with filet and I let Lawson "indulge" and get the taste of Alaska for +$30 (definitely not worth it and won't do that again). For dessert Lawson went with the strawberry Romanoff and I had thr chocolate souffle.  Lawson ended up eating both.

20210801_182716.jpg

20210801_182657.jpg

20210801_191728.jpg

20210801_184613.jpg

20210801_184605.jpg

20210801_184601.jpg

20210801_191734.jpg

Hal has been offering the Taste of Alaska for several years I had it 5 years ago when the extra charge was just $15.00 and I said then… Won’t do that again, it looks the same as it did 5 years ago.

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, liam1965 said:

They went through several. Current, hip hop, disco, jazz…. The dancing and the show was fantastic!

Thank you! I will have to see it when I am on in 2 weeks. 

6 hours ago, Boytjie said:

I was going to book a couple pass but then with the delta variant news of the last few days have been a bit more hesitant. Maybe a bit irrational, but it seems a bit more enclosed areas. I am eager to hear others' experiences.

I booked mine, but mainly for the steam room, sauna, and therapy pool, the loungers don't do much for me, and I do wonder how they can keep them clean, it can get crowded on sea days 

3 hours ago, cowmilker said:

Let me explain this.

On my last cruise, I caught the flu.  I very dutifully went down to Medical and saw a doc.  I got a prescription for Tamiflu and I also was confined to my cabin and put on temperature checks twice a day until I no longer had a fever.  To go to Medical to get my temp checked, I was given a mask and required to wear it while in the hallway.

About 36 hours later (thank you, Tamiflu), I was declared good by Medical. They cleared me to leave my room.  I went ashore that day and never ran another fever.

HOWEVER, I had a lingering cough. I had that cough for about two weeks.  (This was a long cruise - 74 days).  It sort of sounded like I was ripping out my lungs.  Are you all suggesting that I should have remained in my cabin for two solid weeks just because I had a cough?

With benefit of hindsight, I probably should have worn a mask a lot of that time.  I didn't.  I honestly didn't think much about it because I'd been cleared by the doc.  I almost certainly was not contagious.  However, I suspect that the cough made other people uncomfortable.

That's what I was thinking about.  I'll never do that again. I'll have masks with me and I will wear one.  Maybe if I'd worn one from the beginning, in the auditorium, I never would have caught the damned bug in the first place.  (I am pretty religious about staying off the elevators and use the stairs, and I try to avoid close up contact with other people anyway, but the auditorium, well, it's hard to avoid folks.)

And hopefully, now I am done. 

I've never understood why more people don't wear them, I haven't had a cold, pneumonia or tonsillitis for 18 months, all of which I had in 2019, I'm perfectly fine keeping it that way.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Brentt_M said:

20210801_182716.jpg

20210801_182657.jpg

20210801_191728.jpg

20210801_184613.jpg

20210801_184605.jpg

20210801_184601.jpg

20210801_191734.jpg

The main courses look good but that first course salad or ?? looks skimpy.

56 minutes ago, atexsix said:

I booked mine, but mainly for the steam room, sauna, and therapy pool, the loungers don't do much for me, and I do wonder how they can keep them clean, it can get crowded on sea days 

They actually have disinfectant wipes and ask you to wipe it down before and after use. They are doing the same in the gym with the equipment there.

• Like 6