Question Re fans

Terre

I need a fan to sleep; I have asthma and need cool recirculating air to breathe.  Has anyone been able to bring a fan on board?  I have requested one from special needs but they will not provide one.

I suggest looking for a travel sized fan.  I use a USB powered fan that is just powerful enough to do the trick and can be brought aboard in my carry on.  If you bring a larger one in your checked luggage security may confiscate it but you can get it from them after they have tested it to verify it is not a fire hazard.  After that they will let you have it.  This happened to my daughter on the Joy in Jan 2020 so it was a recent cruise.

10 minutes ago, WorkNCruise said:

I suggest looking for a travel sized fan.  I use a USB powered fan that is just powerful enough to do the trick and can be brought aboard in my carry on.  If you bring a larger one in your checked luggage security may confiscate it but you can get it from them after they have tested it to verify it is not a fire hazard.  After that they will let you have it.  This happened to my daughter on the Joy in Jan 2020 so it was a recent cruise.

Thank you...it will be small enough for my carry-on. 

I'm not sure if it is relevant here, but every time we discuss electrical items somebody usually makes the (excellent) recommendation to consider also bringing a three way adapter and/or extension cord.  I understand that power strips are frowned upon, although I don't know why.  Even if rechargeable, a USB fan might need to be plugged in if needed over night.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, RumRunner2021 said:

I'm not sure if it is relevant here, but every time we discuss electrical items somebody usually makes the (excellent) recommendation to consider also bringing a three way adapter and/or extension cord.  I understand that power strips are frowned upon, although I don't know why.  Even if rechargeable, a USB fan might need to be plugged in if needed over night.

Power strips are ok as long as they aren't surge protected.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Terre said:

I need a fan to sleep; I have asthma and need cool recirculating air to breathe.  Has anyone been able to bring a fan on board?  I have requested one from special needs but they will not provide one.

A fan is fine. NCL does not have an electrical outlets near the bed. I would recommend a light weight 12' or 15' extension cord to get from the desk over to the nightstand. The Epic is even a bit harder since the outlet is inside the cabinet and you need to get from the outlet to the desktop, then over to the bed. 

Some of the newer ships have a USB port in the bedside light, but it may/may not work for the fan you are brining. 

• Thanks 1

Also, when I bring an extension cord, I have one I only use for cruising.  It is short, all the original tags and labels are on it, and it looks brand new (cause in fact it’s seen very little use.   The security guys have told me they very much like to see new cords.  Just a tidbit, I’ve picked up along the way.  Of course, you’re mileage may vary.

• Thanks 1

If you do bring an extension cord I would caution against putting it in your checked luggage.  Four years ago, sailing on the Pearl out of Seattle, I had a small electric desk fan and a simple extension cord it my checked luggage.  It was the extension cord that caused my luggage to be sent to the naughty room.  The extension cord was confiscated and then returned to me the next day after the ships electrician checked it out.  Extension cords were not on the prohibited items list.

I've since invested in a small, rechargeable USB fan.  It's great for travel--and when the electricity goes out at home in the middle of Summer!

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, MagnoliaBlossom said:

As an extra layer of protection, get your physical, NP, PA, whoever, to write a note on letterhead or Rx pad stating it is medically necessary.  Never hurts to provide documentation of medical necessity.

I asked if I could bring a note from my doc and he said they don't accept doctor's notes.