Fitness on Princess

BoatsandTrains

Never taken a fitness class...most of them cost $$.

The gym has most anything you're used to. Various stations for individual muscle groups, lots of treadmills, usually 5 or 6 bike thingys, weights.

You could do laps in any pool (first thing in the morning before the swimmers/waders are out). The pool that's near the Sanctuary on Grand Class ships used to have a machine for swimming against the flow - there was some kind of maintenance or safety issue and they are no longer used (may even have been removed).

Haven't been on a Royal Class ship, but the gyms are all pretty standard. Don't know about the pools.

2 minutes ago, BoatsandTrains said:

Planning on my first Princess cruise next year (Emerald Princess).  I am wondering what is typically available for fitness classes.   How is the gym?  Is there a pool to swim laps?

thanks

In regular time the gym classes that were offered were fee based, the specific ones I am familiar with are 

Yoga in the AM

Spin Class

Pilates Class

The gym is nice but I always equate it to an Ant under a magnifying glass, lots of windows so the view is great but the gym is always HOT!

Plenty of treadmills, Precors and weight machines. 

I suggest  visiting  the fitness center on your first day  and taking a walk around, they have sign up sheets  for specific classes w/prices. 

They gym does have opening and closing times so it's not 24hours

Normally there is a Zumba class each morning, not sure if they will have it now. I love the gym, go every morning but it is almost always very warm and but you go much get there early and if you wait past 8am until about 2pm it will be very busy and the machines are hard to get. If you want 2 machines together to work out with your partner it is very had to find that unless you go at off times.

Last trip in 2019 they had a person cleaning the machines after each use. Most folks do wipe them off when they finish, but not everyone. So, I wipe off before I start to exercise also.

They have towels and water and they used to give out earphones in the spa for you to use, but not sure that is happening now.

Always have 1 TV on the wall but not able to change channel, so I take my own iPods.

Hope this helps. I have taken a class or two but not really into that. They do have a stretch class for free each day at least they did, "Morning Stretch" and it appeared to be pretty well attended.

18 hours ago, BoatsandTrains said:

Planning on my first Princess cruise next year (Emerald Princess).  I am wondering what is typically available for fitness classes.   How is the gym?  Is there a pool to swim laps?

thanks

Full gym deck 16 forward with nice views. Lots of cardio & weights. No charge for gym use. There are some group classes with charge. Lots of photos on line.

No real lap swimming pool. Pool lengths are short like any cruise ship. People do swim short laps in the Lotus Spa Pool, deck16 forward, or one of the two center pools on the lido deck 15. The Lotus Pool is not really part of the Spa. There is no charge for use of this area. 

No charge steam and sauna next to the Lotus Spa Pool. 

Pre-covid there were hour long no charge Zumba sessions each sea day and some port days held in Club Fusion, deck 7 aft. Don't know how this will work now or if it will even be offered. Could be a limits with reservations. You will have to see. Check Journey View on the medallion class app closer to the sailing date. You may also want to check the fitness center on the app. Post covid reservation times may be needed to limit the number of people in the center.  

3 hours ago, skynight said:

Full gym deck 16 forward with nice views. Lots of cardio & weights. 

No charge steam and sauna next to the Lotus Spa Pool. 

Check deck plans for your particular ship. These descriptions fit for most Grand Class. I believe Grand Princess has Steam Sauna outside by Lotus Pool and the others, Ruby, Crown, Emerald and Caribbean have them in the respective changing rooms. Same with Sapphire. 

Diamond Princess Sauna and Steam facilities were remodeled for the Japanese market and are now a paid facility that I think rotates between men only and women only.

Royal class ships no not have Lotus Spa Pool, steam or sauna unless you pay for Enclave pass.

Fitness center on Royal Class ship are AFT.

4 minutes ago, wallyj said:

Check deck plans for your particular ship. These descriptions fit for most Grand Class. I believe Grand Princess has Steam Sauna outside by Lotus Pool and the others, Ruby, Crown, Emerald and Caribbean have them in the respective changing rooms. Same with Sapphire. 

Diamond Princess Sauna and Steam facilities were remodeled for the Japanese market and are now a paid facility that I think rotates between men only and women only.

Royal class ships no not have Lotus Spa Pool, steam or sauna unless you pay for Enclave pass.

Fitness center on Royal Class ship are AFT.

OP is sailing on the Emerald. My post is correct for this ship.

10 minutes ago, skynight said:

OP is sailing on the Emerald. My post is correct for this ship.

Technically, regarding steam and sauna on the Emerald, they are located IN the changing rooms for Male/Female, but I guess ‘next’ to the pool is the same for you.?

Even though OP is sailing on Emerald, thought it was helpful letting them know not all Princess fitness facilities are the same on all ships . Thread is fitness on Princess which is general. 

Just thought adding more info so the OP understands the facilities are not the same throughout the Princess fleet.