How to sign up for Wi-Fi without Princess Plus

mcclane

We decided that Princess Plus was not for us, but we'd like to sign up for Wi-Fi. I've searched the website and cannot find out how to sign up prior to boarding the ship. Is there a way to do this that I am missing or do we have to wait until we board to sign up? Was hoping to save a little bit by signing up early. Thanks!

I've seen it advertised plenty on the site.  I called them today and asked about plus, they said when I decided call back and pay princess.  I imagine you'd do the same for wifi only.  On a side note.  Wifi is 10 bucks a day and tips are 15.  For 15 bucks more you get your drinks.  Or save the 15 bucks.  Have fun.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, mcclane said:

We decided that Princess Plus was not for us, but we'd like to sign up for Wi-Fi. I've searched the website and cannot find out how to sign up prior to boarding the ship. Is there a way to do this that I am missing or do we have to wait until we board to sign up? Was hoping to save a little bit by signing up early. Thanks!

You have to call princess  to add Wifi on to your account, if you do it prior to boarding it's at a discount compared to the on board price. 

At least that's what was just reported in the current " live from" thread

Edited by Jadn13
  • Like 3

56 minutes ago, mcclane said:

As stated above, at present you need to call in to Princess to order the internet pre-cruise.  Eventually, it will be added to the MedallionClass app for pre-ordering.

When you order over the phone, they will charge your credit card for full cost at $10/day.  If you are Platinum or Elite in Captain's Circle, you receive 50% back as a refundable on-board credit.

Be sure an order pre-cruise - if you wait until on the ship, the price is $15/day.

When the internet plan is added to the MC App for self-serve pre-order, you will be charged the same.  If qualify for the discount, you will be charge the net cost after discount.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Steelers36 said:

As stated above, at present you need to call in to Princess to order the internet pre-cruise.  Eventually, it will be added to the MedallionClass app for pre-ordering.

When you order over the phone, they will charge your credit card for full cost at $10/day.  If you are Platinum or Elite in Captain's Circle, you receive 50% back as a refundable on-board credit.

Be sure an order pre-cruise - if you wait until on the ship, the price is $15/day.

When the internet plan is added to the MC App for self-serve pre-order, you will be charged the same.  If qualify for the discount, you will be charge the net cost after discount.

Thank you for that info.  As elite/plat, with the discount,$5/day seems reasonable, consider it is unlimited.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, ebeluga said:

As elite/plat, with the discount,$5/day seems reasonable, consider it is unlimited.

Not reasonable to me as we do not need to be on the Internet 100% of the time.

For a 33 day cruise we have scheduled, the platinum/elite benefit used to be 500 minutes each, a total of 1000 free minutes for the two of us. Certainly enough for the amount we would use on this cruise.

With the new discount, instead of 1000 free minutes we will have to pay a combined $330.

I do not consider that a great benefit.

• Like 7

7 hours ago, caribill said:

For a 33 day cruise we have scheduled, the platinum/elite benefit used to be 500 minutes each, a total of 1000 free minutes for the two of us. Certainly enough for the amount we would use on this cruise.

With the new discount, instead of 1000 free minutes we will have to pay a combined $330.

Absolutely!  Reasonable only if it is used.  I, too, would much prefer the platinum/elite free limited minutes benefit if I had a choice.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, caribill said:

Although we aren't there yet, I am trying to find out the pricing beyond 30 night voyages.  Yes, 30 nights seems to be $300 (less 50% if qualify).  

20 hours ago, trey420 said:

I've seen it advertised plenty on the site.  I called them today and asked about plus, they said when I decided call back and pay princess.  I imagine you'd do the same for wifi only.  On a side note.  Wifi is 10 bucks a day and tips are 15.  For 15 bucks more you get your drinks.  Or save the 15 bucks.  Have fun.

That's if you can get Princess Plus for $40 a day. For some of us, Princess Plus was not available at that price. 

I called to order the unlimited internet at $9.99 a day. I'll get 50% back as onboard credit. Some folks have reported not being able to order in advance, though.

15 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

Although we aren't there yet, I am trying to find out the pricing beyond 30 night voyages.  Yes, 30 nights seems to be $300 (less 50% if qualify).  

I also have that question but am assuming there is no special pricing for long voyages.

19 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

When you order over the phone, they will charge your credit card for full cost at $10/day

Just did it yesterday. Actually $9.99 /day. Why they do they do that? I often wonder if that marketing ploy actually works. It must, as it is so common. I forgot to ask if I could use OBC to pay. 

2 minutes ago, Musky Ike said:

Just did it yesterday. Actually $9.99 /day. Why they do they do that? I often wonder if that marketing ploy actually works. It must, as it is so common. I forgot to ask if I could use OBC to pay. 

No, Cannot use OBC to pay for anything pre-cruise except shore excursions.

If you were purchasing Internet on board (at a higher price than pre-cruise), you could use OBC.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, caribill said:

No, Cannot use OBC to pay for anything pre-cruise except shore excursions.

If you were purchasing Internet on board (at a higher price than pre-cruise), you could use OBC.

that's what I figured, but was going to ask anyway as things are always changing these days.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, pspatti said:

Does anyone know if we can just pick a few days to pay $15 for the day - or do I have to pay $15 for everyday of the cruise.

You can decide to book individual days on board.  The price for individual days is $20/day.

Therefore, my Grade 5 (or so) math tells me if you intend to book at least half the days of the voyage, then you may as well book the whole voyage ahead of time for $10/day.

46 minutes ago, Musky Ike said:

It's a bunch of BS IMO.  They don't do it with most other things.

• Like 1

Why does Princess make this so difficult?  I can't find the internet prices on their website.  Why charge a platinum/elite the full amount of $10 a day then give a refund of 50% off , which results in Obc of $5 (if these amounts are even correct.)  They know your status as soon as you login.  Charge me the correct discounted amount upfront, so much easier.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Therese S. said:

Why does Princess make this so difficult?  I can't find the internet prices on their website.  Why charge a platinum/elite the full amount of $10 a day then give a refund of 50% off , which results in Obc of $5 (if these amounts are even correct.)  They know your status as soon as you login.  Charge me the correct discounted amount upfront, so much easier.  

I get where you are coming from.  I have wondered same thing.  IDK if it is an accounting thing or not.  When the internet package comes to the MC App for self-ordering, you will be charged the net price after discount if you qualify.  This situation with a refundable OBC is a temporary thing.  (But don't ask me how temporary as there is no published live date for this enhancement to MC App).

It would be nice - and helpful - if the internet pricing was clearly posted on their website so folks would know.  I presume you have all the pricing from this thread?  If not, just ask.

ETA - The amounts are correct.  I just don't deal with the 99 cents.

Edited by Steelers36

I was on hold with Princess for 1/2 hour, and the person who finally answered told me she couldn't find it as an option and that I would have to wait until we got on the ship. I asked her if she could ask someone else. She said that I would need to call back in to talk to someone else. I said "no way" and asked her to find someone to ask. I've now waited another 40 minutes on hold. Not good customer service! Grr!

1 hour ago, mcclane said:

I was on hold with Princess for 1/2 hour, and the person who finally answered told me she couldn't find it as an option and that I would have to wait until we got on the ship. I asked her if she could ask someone else. She said that I would need to call back in to talk to someone else. I said "no way" and asked her to find someone to ask. I've now waited another 40 minutes on hold. Not good customer service! Grr!

Please tell us the end result.  Some CC members have reported being told they could not purchase internet and others no problem.  It should be possible. 

You can definitely order the internet package, I did it today via CHAT from the princess website.  They did however give me the wrong package and when I started a new chat to get it correct I now have 2 WIFI packages! (one package paid for and the other is not and I was emailed a bill) I will try again tomorrow to get it corrected and talk to a real person and not deal with chat. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Our mobile phones have international plans and that will cover internet while on the cruise and in Alaska.  You may want to check with your cell phone company if you can purchase a special plan for a week, which is probably less expensive than buying from Princess.

A Note About Cell Service in Alaska

in the latest Yellow Fish Blog she said that someone who works for ATT said that they have a monopoly in the Alaska area and cell service could be beyond limited.

I researched and found this to be true, If you have Sprint or T Mobile you could experience outages or not even have service and Verizon would be super limited 

That may help some decide if they will need internet or not. 

Edited by Jadn13
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, CeCe_ said:

Our mobile phones have international plans and that will cover internet while on the cruise and in Alaska.  You may want to check with your cell phone company if you can purchase a special plan for a week, which is probably less expensive than buying from Princess.

Just so you know you are not covered by your phone company for internet while on the ship. Your mobile phone will use the ships internet to connect if you use it while on board. As stated before, it can get very expensive.

You should be covered while on land in Alaska. I have had no problems on land while covered by Verizon or Xfinity Mobile.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, adstz said:

Just so you know you are not covered by your phone company for internet while on the ship. Your mobile phone will use the ships internet to connect if you use it while on board. As stated before, it can get very expensive.

You should be covered while on land in Alaska. I have had no problems on land while covered by Verizon or Xfinity Mobile.

I understood what you said is true.  A few years back when we were on an Alaska cruise.  My husband's Verizon phone with the same international plan did not get charged any connection fee.  We texted when we needed to find each other on the ship.   I did learn a painful lesson with my TMobile phone and got a hefty bill because my old TMobile did not have international plan.  Even if it did, there is no TMobile services in Alaska anyway.   The ship did not use ship internet to connect, it used AT&T to connect. 

We all have Verizon this time.  I am hoping that history speaks for itself and we should be all covered now.  I have checked with Verizon recently that we will be covered while on the ship too.  

Edited by CeCe_