Sorry in advance...still confused about the covid test

Shippy

9 minutes ago, Shippy said:

If I do a Covid Antigen self test the day before the cruise & bring the results....do I still have to take another test at the port.

thanks

Not sure if you are in US or Europe.

In the US, all passengers take a rapid test before boarding.

• Like 1

Sorry I was not more clear'

We are fully vaccinated and live in the U.S.

If the day before the cruise we take a do it yourself antigen test  & bring the results, do we still need to take one at the Miami port.

I think maybe only people who are currently sailing from there now would know.

4 minutes ago, Shippy said:

Sorry I was not more clear'

We are fully vaccinated and live in the U.S.

If the day before the cruise we take a do it yourself antigen test  & bring the results, do we still need to take one at the Miami port.

I think maybe only people who are currently sailing from there now would know.

Yes.  Everyone is required to have the rapid test at the pier before embarkation regardless of vax status and if they have taken a previous negative antigen or PCR/NAAT test.

35 minutes ago, Missbollinger said:

Yes.  Everyone is required to have the rapid test at the pier before embarkation regardless of vax status and if they have taken a previous negative antigen or PCR/NAAT test.

bummer,

do not know why I am so paranoid of a false positive test.

I feel very secure with my vaccination and do not take unnecessary risks.

It is just that we have waited so long for this cruise. It was booked with FCC from over a year ago.

AND we have to fly cross country to get there.

thanks all for your replies

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Shippy said:

bummer,

It is just that we have waited so long for this cruise. It was booked with FCC from over a year ago.

LOL, I think many feel the same way. I'm terrified of getting there and receiving a false positive

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Shippy said:

bummer,

I think I read though if you are positive on the rapid, they will pull you aside for further testing and assessment, I am assuming a PCR/NAAT test.  I think they are aware of the false positive rates of these rapid tests.  

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Shippy said:

bummer,

I think that's natural. I was similarly worried before my Virtuosa cruise. But as MissBollinger says, they do do follow up tests if the first one shows positive. As long as you can be careful on the journey there, you should be fine. But getting on the ship and having that worry disappear is a really, really sweet feeling. 

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Missbollinger said:

I think I read though if you are positive on the rapid, they will pull you aside for further testing and assessment, I am assuming a PCR/NAAT test.  I think they are aware of the false positive rates of these rapid tests.  

This is good to know.

Although it would be the longest 45 minutes of my life, for sure.

• Like 3

Back from our cruise.   Everyone had to take a test at the port prior to boarding the ship.   Not fun.   Really, not fun.   However, given the choice between being overcautious and not cautious enough, I would say I was happier to know everyone was tested that day, not a day or two earlier.   We were not the only people who got to the city of departure a day before embarkation and went out to eat.    MSC does what it can, but fellow passengers on board remove their mask all the time, until they are told to put the mask on, and remove the mask again as soon as they are not being watched.  It is reassuring to know that everyone got on board testing negative.

• Like 2

For those cruising the Caribbean with port stop in Bahamas , The country is now requiring Covid 19 test for everyone wanting to enter the country. effective August 6.
Wonder if Covid Rapid test MSC administers at embarkation would suffice?

1 hour ago, phissy said:

For those cruising the Caribbean with port stop in Bahamas , The country is now requiring Covid 19 test for everyone wanting to enter the country. effective August 6.
Wonder if Covid Rapid test MSC administers at embarkation would suffice?

Not quite correct. This requirement does not apply to cruises originating in the US with a port stop. See below:

Guests on cruises that originate in and return to The Bahamas must apply for a Bahamas Travel Health Visa and comply with the following:

Vaccinated persons must provide a negative PCR test OR rapid antigen test taken no more than five days before the date of arrival to The Bahamas. Unvaccinated persons must obtain a negative PCR test taken no more than five days before the date of arrival to The Bahamas.

Those guests on a cruise that originated in the United States do not need to comply with the above but instead must comply with the rules laid out by the cruise lines, as the Bahamian government has approved these. Those going on a cruise or traveling to the Bahamas after August 6 but already have a Bahamas Travel Health Visa do not need to worry, as the requirements will be waived in this case.

Bret

• Like 3

I am on the Meraviglia cruise out of Miami on 8/27.  Just to feel safe, I am doing a PCR test this coming Friday at my local CVS, then a antigen rapid test on 8/20.  I would hate to drive all the way to Miami and find out I am positive.  I am also lucky in that I work from home and do not need to go out for anything the last two weeks before I drive down for my cruise.

Edited by GA Dave
typo