CELEBRITY orders ANOTHER new ship!

poetic license

Another vote about not understanding the uproar over the names.

Having just done Constellation on a nearly sold out cruise, I can say you would never know that many people are on board. I did an equally near sell out on Century and it felt crowded.

Go figure.

Compared to how ridiclous I think Royal Caribbean is being, this is not a huge ship. The new Genesis project ship is over 100,000 tons larger than the new Solstice class (which I actually like the name Solstice better than Equinox, I believe I may be the only one). Those extra 100,000 tons right there would make a larger ship than the Millennium class! Thank the lord Celebrity keeps it toned down in that aspect...that's proof right there they're more interested in quality, even if they expanding a little.

I'm for big ships as long as the amount of people doesn't get out of hand. 5400 for the new RCCL ship? No thank you. Cruise lines should be more interested in service and quality rather than size. There's only so much you can put on a cruise ship before it literally becomes ridiculous. What's next, a riding stable on board?

As usual, this thread like many of the Cruise Critic threads is just very interesting and brings out many comments and makes all of us think about a topic that is of interest to all of us - Celebrity.

Having been on all of the C-class ships, and two several times, there are differences between the three. One poster has given several differences. There are others that we have observed, for example, Century has 8 RS, and Mercury and Galaxy have 10. The RS on Century do not have a sitting area in the bedroom of a RS because there is no angled cut off on the veranda. Mercury and Galaxy do have a sitting area in the bedroom because of an angle cut off of the veranda with a door leading out to the veranda.

Am curious whether or not there are such subtle differences in the M-class vessels other than the different themes of the alternative restaurants.

Another poster thought that the S-class vessels might have a beneficial impact on the fares for the M-class vessels. That has actually happened to the fares on C-class vessels as opposed to the fares on the M-class vessels. I will give one recent example: Our combined fare for a RS on Mercury for a 11 night cruise in January was $5,000.00. Our combined fare for a RS on Infinity for a 10 night cruise to Alaska is more than twice that amount. The interior of each RS is approximately the same, while the veranda on Infinity is much larger with a small hot tub. Part of the difference might be that the Alaska cruise is more popular and a cruise of the Mexican Riveria.

I don't that that size is as much an issue as the number of passengers aboard. I look forward to seeing more details about these ships.

Anyone want to speculate on the likely itineraries for the new big ships?

Well, we know for sure where they WON't be going: The Panama Canal routes.:(

Nice to hear this progressing. Not sure I like the names. Equinox not bad, but not sold on Solstice

Seems to be a common concern so far about the naming of the new ships. Actually, I like them both a lot. It follows the pattern of naming originally set by the Horizon class (Horizon/Zenith) with celestial and epocal references. I can get used to Solstace and Equinox very easily and I'll bet most others will as well.

I'm with Tuggers about size concerns though....there seems to be an ability to get to know crew and officers better on the smaller ships. But compared to passenger density Celebrity still doesn't pack 'em in as much as others (including Royal Caribbean). As others have said, it'll be interesting to see what amenities will be offered.

Gotta give 'em a try.....where do I sign up. (Please, Celebrity, assign them to exciting itineraries.)

I never heard so much crabbing about nothing in my life. I say congratulations Celebrity, your new ships sound great to me and I, personally, love the new names, they are very romantic. Why dont we just wait and see. We love the older ships and we will love the new ones if we keep open minds.

Hi Phil !

Thanks for the very interesting comment. I am surprised they were thinking of Solstice THAT long ago. Someone at X must really like that name.

Have you received any polls from Celebrity within the past year or so ? I have not received one. <curious>

no, not recently, in 2004 I received several (about 4 ,as I recall) different polls, but none since, maybe they did not like my answers:D

Phil

no, not recently, in 2004 I received several (about 4 ,as I recall) different polls, but none since, maybe they did not like my answers:D

Phil

Hi Phil !

Thanks for letting me know. At least I am not alone :).

Having been on all of the C-class ships, and two several times, there are differences between the three. One poster has given several differences. There are others that we have observed, for example, Century has 8 RS, and Mercury and Galaxy have 10. The RS on Century do not have a sitting area in the bedroom of a RS because there is no angled cut off on the veranda. Mercury and Galaxy do have a sitting area in the bedroom because of an angle cut off of the veranda with a door leading out to the veranda.

Am curious whether or not there are such subtle differences in the M-class vessels other than the different themes of the alternative restaurants.

The Galaxy and Mercury are sister ships. The Century really isn't, and has been the odd duck out there all alone, and should not be directly compared to the other two for the reasons you site and numerous others. Many similiarites exist, to be sure, but also a great number of differences.

The M-Class ships started out with the same layout (with an exception noted below), but as Celebrity has been eliminating or moving things around (Notes, the Computer Lab, Acupuncture@Sea, etc.), there have been some differences in the location of things due to the timing of these changes. These changes aren't all applied at the same time, if at all. The splitting of the original two story Notes into two separate deck spaces is the only "structural" change of consequence that I can recall.

The only real exception from the beginning was the Millennium's sports bar which resides where the 'Flower Shop' / conservatory is on the other three ships.

I never heard so much crabbing about nothing in my life. I say congratulations Celebrity, your new ships sound great to me and I, personally, love the new names, they are very romantic. Why dont we just wait and see. We love the older ships and we will love the new ones if we keep open minds.

Hi Marie !

I pretty much agree with you, other than the "Crabbing" comment. I know many of us are not thrilled with the names, but really... It has been 24 hours since the announcement, and I am already over the name choices :). I am thrilled that we now have 2 new ships coming, and that is awesome news !!!

The other BIG news is.... I am thrilled that RCI is taking a little more interest in Celebrity. Over the past few years, I have felt that RCI was clearly not putting enough interest in Celebrity. Hopefully, we can now put those fears to rest.

I also feel that Celebrity is very late in this newbuild cycle. IMHO, they should have ordered a few new ships 2-3 years ago, for delivery NOW. Just about all of their competitors have had ships coming online now (as well as over the next 2 years) and during this time, Celebrity has not made any additions to the Fleet other than Expedition. They are actually minus 1 ship (Horizon), while most everyone else has expanded. This may prove to be a painful error over the next few years. I surely hope not.

As for everyone "crabbing" ? Well, I dont see any harm in that. I always love to hear everyone's opinion, no matter how much I agree or disagree with it. That's one of the things that makes the Message Boards a great read. Just my .02 cents though.

I also Congratulate Celebrity for a job well done. I can't wait to be on Solstice, as soon as she is built.

Have you recieved any polls from Celebrity within the past year or so ? I have not recieved one. <curious>

Andy, I did a survey a couple of weeks ago on their Bon Voyage packages and things they were thinking about adding to it.

Garry

Andy,

I have never, ever been asked to fill out a survey. Guess I don't cruise enough to have opinions!:rolleyes:

Hi Gail !

If anyone deserves surveys, YOU sure do !!!!!

Someday, maybe we will know why folks get them, and others do not.

I've been getting the surveys too for about 3 years, and am an elite member.

Solstice and Equinox- love the names. Words of the sun, sky and seasons- uplifting stuff.

They COULD have named these ships according to the tides. How about Neap...or Perigee...or next month I'm cruising Proxigee...

I agree with Host Andy and am just glad to see that RCCL is devoting the money, time and attention to grow the Celebrity brand. Recently it has seemed that their attention has been focused solely on Royal Caribbean with aggressive advertising and the ordering of five gigantic, newsworthy new ships while Celebrity has had none. The creation of the Xpedition brand and the Extreme Makeover of the Century has been the only indication that they are focusing on it at all. And when are they going to grow the Xpedition brand?

I'm excited about the new ships and look forward to seeing how the Celebrity look will evolve in a larger ship. I'm intrigued with the hints that the cabins will all be larger than standard - will they really be larger than those on HAL Vista-class ships? Will they all have a bathtub (as HAL does)? Will the standard balconies be deeper - that wouldn't cost any more money and would make a big difference to the passengers' experience. Based on various comments from onboard staff we are all assuming that they'll change the dining experience, either by installing a second Specialty restaurant or by experimenting with "Personal Choice" dining. I'll wait to see the changes in action before judging.

With such large ships, I can only assume that they'll keep them in the Caribbean and perhaps the Med, doing all the "best hits" port stops. If that means that they can finally send some of the other ships to more exotic destinations - Australia/NZ, Asia, Around the World, then I'll be really happy! Regardless of the size of the ship, give me Celebrity service at Celebrity prices (i.e., not luxury line prices) and I'll be very happy.

Regarding surveys, I was on their survey panel for about two years until a year ago. At the end I got an e-mail thanking me for participating, and it said that they have a policy of changing the people on the survey panel every two years. So I don't think they pick only Elite (I wasn't until this year) or only opinionated Cruise Critic members!

With regard to those who are happy to see X spending money to improve the brand, would you not rather see them spending money to keep up their ships.

The Galaxy has been in need of drydock for well over a year, yet it still is not in the schedule. The Stratosphere, has become worthless with so many windows having broken seals. It was that way when I sail at the begining of 2005 and has gotten worse over the last year. The windows are either fogged or filled with water. It really kill the great views offered by this bar. The might as well cover the windows with sheets and call it Bar at the Edge of the Earth.

I think RCL's strategy is as follows-

There is a certain segment of society that will always cruise, but in order to grow their business, and grow different brands within that, the focus has indeed been on the RCL ships and offerings. I for one am not interested in surfing, rock climbing, or playing putt-putt, while on a ship. Nor do I want to be on a ship full of kids doing the same.

It is nice to see RCL putting more $$ into X, but I hope the focus will not change even though these new ships may have space to offer new activity options.

With regard to those who are happy to see X spending money to improve the brand, would you not rather see them spending money to keep up their ships.

Hi Rick !

IMHO, Celebrity should be doing BOTH (Newbuilds and Upgrades of Older ships), and not 1 or the other. I totally get your point though. Celebrity should be getting all of their older ships into drydock more often.... especially ships like Galaxy, which hasnt had a drydock in quite a while.

Just a thought.... Perhaps Celebrity is waiting to see how the Century upgrade goes, and assuming it goes well, perhaps Galaxy will be next for the same type of upgrade ? I keep hearing that Century is just the first ship in the C-Class, that will be upgraded. Supposedly, the plan is to get to all the C-Class ships updated over the next 2 years. We will have to wait and see if this happens.

Last year DW and I went on our first big ship cruise with another line. It was Ok and ironically not that crowded but, it wasn't for me or DW. We went with three other couples one who invited the rest of us along. The ship appeared to lose some of it's personal touch. It will be interesting to see how a class line like Celebrity will deal with ship layout and amenities. If it does it anywhere as well as the Millie class it will be interesting to see. We've been on two of those and going on our third and haven't found a bad one yet. My only question might be where will it go? As for the names, at least Celebrity is being original!

Last year DW and I went on our first big ship cruise with another line. The ship appeared to lose some of it's personal touch. It will be interesting to see how a class line like Celebrity will deal with ship layout and amenities. If it does it anywhere as well as the Millie class it will be interesting to see. We've been on two of those and going on our third and haven't found a bad one yet. My only question might be where will it go?

I remember when they were coming out with the "M" class ships. A lot of folks said Celebrity could not keep the fine cuisine they had on smaller ships. IMO, the Horizon Class and Century Class has a little better food, but I think that Celebrity has done a pretty good job holding the quality of the food. HOPEFULLY, they can continue that with the bigger classification.

Archived