Our cruise leaves on a Tuesday, not enough time to get a PCR test and there are no Rapid antigen tests available in out area!

time4sun

20 hours ago, chefchick said:

I live in seattle and am sailing on the Miracle Tuesday, 8/17.  The only “free” test I could  get an appointment for was a PCR test at CVS on the Saturday before (no rapid antigen available from either CVS or Walgreens).  Just this morning I called CVS and the minute clinic (their local testing site) and confirmed that “generally” tests results for the PCR are sent within the 1-2 day timeframe, but most clinics do not send out tests on Sunday…meaning as long as my test is picked up on Saturday (which is the norm) I shouldn’t have a problem 🤞. If they don’t, then it won’t go to testing till Monday and then????

Have  you tried any of the Walmart's in your area, if there are any? They are offering 24 hour turn around on PCR tests in my area. I believe some even offer antigen testing, but I can't confirm that. The ones in my area do not.

21 hours ago, Barba21885 said:

I am getting a test on Tuesday for a sale date of Thursday next week.  I know I don't have to have one since we are sailing before the 14th but I am also sailing again the end of September so I want to "test " the test..... plus you never know if they decide to change things up again. 

Does anyone know if the results come over your smart phone and if that is all we need to present?  Will they accept the rapid test?  Have tried calling Carnival but....well you know how that is going right now.

results downloaded on your phone are ok yes.  Either test will do for vaccinated guests its unvaccinated that only have one choice.  Check Carnival.com its on the Health Protocols page.

29 minutes ago, ProgRockCruiser said:

If you fly in the day before, as I stated in my example, the overall timeline for getting a test result is roughly the same as flying internationally.  With Carnival saying "three days", they are already giving you about 12 hours more than the folks flying international.

If you want to fly in two or three days ahead of the cruise, then that gives you ample opportunity to book a test at the Port area and get results prior to boarding.

And this is no different from what RCI is requiring for their cruises 5 days or longer, so Carnival is just matching the rest of the industry:

PRE-CRUISE TEST FOR ALL GUESTS ON SAILINGS 5 NIGHTS OR LONGER

• All guests age 2 and older — regardless of vaccination status — will need to take a COVID-19 test (PCR or antigen) with an accredited test provider, such as a drugstore chain or diagnostic lab, no more than 3 days before arriving at the terminal for embarkation. Guests will need to show their negative test result upon arriving at the terminal. The results can be printed out, or can be presented on your phone, such as the email result from your test provider. Costs associated with this test are the guests' responsibility.

Not yet - but the implication is that the CDC is looking very hard at the cruise industry, and expects them to implement something on their own that is in line with what they will otherwise "mandate".

I can get tested at my Airport before i depart or i can go to the Airport 3 days before and get tested too they have onsite testing facilities now plus i cant scroll through that book of faces without every third post being about new Testing facilities in Edmonton offering 24 hour turnarounds.  Have seen 7 so far and more being added for travel purposes.  Seems to be the new startup idea these days.

1 hour ago, Brew12 said:

Have  you tried any of the Walmart's in your area, if there are any? They are offering 24 hour turn around on PCR tests in my area. I believe some even offer antigen testing, but I can't confirm that. The ones in my area do not.

In my area, Walgreen’s is only doing testing on people with symptoms, and appointments can only be made 1 day in advance.  

2 hours ago, ProgRockCruiser said:

Carnival didn't just invent the 3-day window, it is the standard used by the CDC and pretty well every international travel requirement.  If Carnival had gone with 5 days, there could have been quite a backlash for using a very non-standard timeframe.

Most countries that require a PCR test will require you to have had a PCR test within 72 hrs (not "3 days") of arrival at the destination airport.  Flight time from a typical US international origin (e.g. IAD) to most overseas places is a minimum 10 hour process.  The total timeframe of having to fly from a local airport (say Kalamazoo) to IAD and then onward to destination airport (say 14 hrs total) means you have to have had the test taken within 58 hrs of checking in at Kalamazoo.  That is not that much different from someone flying in from Kalamazoo to Miami or Orlando and getting on a cruise the next morning - if your flight from Kalamazoo leaves on Friday for a Saturday cruise, you get tested on Wednesday, and you don't need to present the results until when you board, at say 12 noon.  So if you get tested at 4pm on Wednesday, you have 68 hrs from test time to boarding time to get your results.

It is a lousy situation for people who cannot readily get a rapid antigen test in their area, but if a corporation like Carnival is going to implement a protocol, it is best to be consistent with the rest of the related travel industries.

Very easy, assuming that you haven’t already booked your flight (for our cruise in two weeks), planned to arrive 2 1/2 days before the cruise that departs from the other side of the country, and aren’t having difficulty locating a rapid test site in the port city. Oh, and the cruise leaves on Tuesday, which means there’s a Sunday in the middle of the 3- day window, in case we were able to schedule a PCR test on the 1/2 day before flying out.  

I have a decent plan in place, but it’s still been a bit anxiety-provoking for those of us who have had to scramble.  Especially when the first few phone calls to my local pharmacies and health clinics indicated they were out of rapid tests.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Brew12 said:

I live in Seattle. Walmart is not as convenient here as in most cities.  I believe the closest is about an hour away.  If I get desperate I will track one down though…thanks for the suggestion.

• Like 1

Yes.....it's those Tuesday cruises out of Seattle that are the "hitch in the giddy-up"!  Our small airport does not offer testing, and we booked our flights to Seattle months ago.....our flight arrives at Sea-tac at 10:40, we booked the Carnival transfers out of ease.....not sure if we would have an hour or two to wait for results if we tested there.  Let alone, hoping they would have the rapid antigen since so many venues are on backorder.  Yes, given the PCR cannot be done over the weekend it would have been helpful to have 4-5 days.  We understand and appreciate the safety concerns!  However, we have spent hours trying to figure this out (with still no solution)....definately not a relaxing start to our first vacation in 17 months!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, TNcruising02 said:

When someone flies, they don't usually travel to the airport and then stay a day or two.  However, with cruising, most people fly in at least a day before the cruise.  So, cruises are different than simply taking a test before boarding a plane.  Anyway, this is my opinion.

SO, CRUISES ARE DIFFERENT. Aren't you one of the people who have been saying all along that cruises should be treated the same as all other travel options? If I have made a mistake saying that, I apologize in advance.

On 8/5/2021 at 12:54 PM, time4sun said:

Our cruise leaves in 11 days and there are no rapid antigen tests available unless we drive 3 1/2 hours each way.....and PCR test results can't get back to us prior to a Tuesday cruise.....any ideas???  There are no CVS pharmacies in Central Oregon, only 1 Walgreens that offers the antigen test, and due to the Delta variant, they are out of stock!  Oy!

Look in the Mirror!

6 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

SO, CRUISES ARE DIFFERENT. Aren't you one of the people who have been saying all along that cruises should be treated the same as all other travel options? If I have made a mistake saying that, I apologize in advance.

Obviously travel time for taking a flight or arriving at a cruise port are different. So, requiring a covid test before a cruise requires people to invest more time and juggle their schedules than it does for someone to take a covid test to fly. 

As of now, anyone can board a plane, even people with covid. Anyway, next time you should quote what I actually said instead of acting like I am being hypocritical. 

Edited by TNcruising02

13 minutes ago, TNcruising02 said:

Obviously travel time for taking a flight or arriving at a cruise port are different. So, requiring a covid test before a cruise requires people to invest more time and juggle their schedules than it does for someone to take a covid test to fly. 

As of now, anyone can board a plane, even people with covid. Anyway, next time you should quote what I actually said instead of acting like I am being hypocritical. 

I never used the term hypocritical; I would rather say inconsistent. Sometimes you recognize differences, sometimes you do not.