Venice replaced with Trieste

laurieb

1 hour ago, laurieb said:

Came by this today; looks like a very good chance 2022 cruises will be back in Venice

https://www.seatrade-cruise.com/ports-destinations/venice-back-landing-cruise-ships

Since the first cruise ship mentioned is due to arrive tomorrow, I wonder if your October Azamara cruise may be back on track for Venice (at least at the Ro-Port Mos terminal).

PS – this was an amazingly fast development for Italy.  I take back everything I said about Rome not being built in a day millenium!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Since the first cruise ship mentioned is due to arrive tomorrow, I wonder if your October Azamara cruise may be back on track for Venice (at least at the Ro-Port Mos terminal).

PS – this was an amazingly fast development for Italy.  I take back everything I said about Rome not being built in a day millenium!

I'd be thrilled, as I'm sure everyone on the sailing would be!

• Like 1

Saw this link on another board this morning and it gave us more optimism for next year - but super surprised that it’s happening this quickly!  I sincerely hope Laurieb that this is the case for you and fellow travelers next month and forward!

Edited by Vineyard View
  • Like 2

There are three separate time frames:

•  2021 – use of existing Ro-Port Mos terminal in Venice-Marghera port [inside the lagoon] for large ships and existing Venice-Marittima port [with Giudecca approach] for small ships

•  2022 – a technical working group is preparing plans for 2022 and subsequent seasons [still involving ships entering the lagoon?]

•  future – at some point the environmentalists want to prevent all cruise ships from entering the lagoon, but none of the plans that I have seen strike me as feasible

So at the moment things look very good for 2021 cruises, still iffy for 2022, and who knows for beyond that [as I see it].

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Mrs Miggins said:

Viking have announced they will be using Marghera or Fusina for their 2021 cruises.

Is there any more news about Azamara - other than Trieste for all.

I'm sure that Azamara will be doing all they can to secure what is best. To me it has all happened very fast.  If I were running a cruise business my mind would be blown with what has gone on, but I'd have people on it. I think we just need to be patient. 

Phil 

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, laurieb said:

Just got word that Azamara will be offering a complimentary shuttle from the Venice Airport to Trieste, so I think we will not be changing back to Venice to embark

Just read a live from about embarking in Fusina [the closest possible Venice lagoon option], and it didn't sound that appetizing.  Passengers gather at the Marittima port in Venice for Covid testing and immigration, then take a bus to Fusina – where there is no passenger terminal.  Also the ride was described as the opposite of scenic.  A free shuttle to Trieste will take longer but should be more scenic – and future itineraries might start with an overnight in Trieste so you can see that area's attractions.  The only tweak I would suggest is a second free shuttle from Marittima for those who choose to arrive early and stay in Venice.

• Like 2

I have been lucky enough to visit and stay in  Venice many times and I have also been to Trieste.   What I will miss most, if my cruise still ends in Trieste, is the wonderful overnight in Venice which allows me to enjoy the special magic of Venice in the dark.

The relative distances are about 18 km from Fusina to Piazzale Roma or 157 km from Trieste making an evening visit to Venice unlikely.    

I will be interested to follow the experiences of those on Viking.

Edited by Mrs Miggins
spelling