Corinth Canal closed!

milepig

Just got the itinary change - this is in November. The canal is closed due to a rock slide - so no canal or Delphi for us. Instead we get Gythian, and miss two things on our bucket list. We'll likely never be back that way, so a bit sad.  Sigh.

We haven't gotten that notice yet. I guess it will come soon as we are on that cruise too. We do have a couple of days in Athens before the cruise and have been to Athens before so perhaps we will go to Delphi from there before the cruise. I was looking forward to the Canal as well. 

I had seen an article saying the canal was closed due to a rock slide and that repairs wouldn't be starting until after September so knew this was probably coming. It sounds like it will take a long time to reopen the canal (and there is some possibility that it will be impractical to do so at all).

10 minutes ago, new_cruiser said:

We haven't gotten that notice yet. I guess it will come soon as we are on that cruise too. We do have a couple of days in Athens before the cruise and have been to Athens before so perhaps we will go to Delphi from there before the cruise. I was looking forward to the Canal as well. 

I had seen an article saying the canal was closed due to a rock slide and that repairs wouldn't be starting until after September so knew this was probably coming. It sounds like it will take a long time to reopen the canal (and there is some possibility that it will be impractical to do so at all).

Are you on the 11/4 departure? Gythion looks like nothing more than a bump with a lighthouse. 

We are on the Oct 25 Athens to Barcelona Star Collector. The 11/4 Athens departure is the middle of our cruise. If I recall correctly, you are on the Star Collector departing 11/4 and ending in Lisbon? If this happens and neither of us gets cold feet, we will be together on the 11/4 cruise. 

You can see Windstar's description of Gythion and get an idea of the kind of excursions from this cruise that stops there:

https://www.windstarcruises.com/cruise/overview/mediterranean/rome-to-athens/enchanting-greece-the-amalfi-coast/?pkgid=215087

An excursion to Mythios (a world heritage site) is possible - about a 45 minute drive from Gythion. There is also some big caves, Dyros Caves (Windstar's spelling but most of the internet spells it Diros).

We are on the October 7th and really disappointed. We lose Corfu(never been there), and Delphi(never been there), and the Corinth Canal(never been there), and get Katakolon(have been there), Chania)have been there).  Seems like the canal has been closed all year. Can cancel, but why loan Windstar the money in a form of FCC.  Will probably go, but not getting excited with the new itinerary. 

Maybe they thought it would reopen and they just now threw in the towel. We are going west,  and miss the canal and Delphi (both scheduled for the same day) and have Gythion that day instead and then get back on schedule in Corfu the next day. 

18 minutes ago, MNgardens said:

There was an additional landslide mid July. My source was https://www.keeptalkinggreece.com/2021/07/19/corinth-canal-landslides-video/

Thanks! This paragraph probably says it all.  Landslides without end!!

According to local media korinthostv, the landslides continue without end, creating headaches for the experts in charge both for the future of restoration works and the reopening of the Corinth Canal to ship traffic.

I just looked at the WS splash page for out itin in November. They are still touting  the Corinth canal as a headlining event of the cruise!! And how it’s the event of a lifetime. Um, it isn’t happening. Where is the crack WS team who should change this stuff. Shame on them!!!!

• Like 3