CVS Rapid-Result Test Acceptable?

kilkoyne

CVS offers rapid testing but they include a disclosure stating "Not accepted for all purposes, so be sure to check with venue, destination or airline". I'm "assuming" this is ok because other cruisers have used it on other cruise lines but I wanted to clarify this. 

Sorry if this question has already been answered. I'm so confused with all the changes happening all the time. On top of that, MSC never emails me with updates.

2 minutes ago, kilkoyne said:

CVS offers rapid testing but they include a disclosure stating "Not accepted for all purposes, so be sure to check with venue, destination or airline". I'm "assuming" this is ok because other cruisers have used it on other cruise lines but I wanted to clarify this. 

Sorry if this question has already been answered. I'm so confused with all the changes happening all the time. On top of that, MSC never emails me with updates.

I think I found my answer. The rapid test at CVS is an antigen test which MSC accepts for my cruise date.

I’m just learning I have to get this test for my cruise. Would you be able to tell me the cost?  I’m also confused on the three days or 72 hours. If my cruise is leaving September 26 when should I get this test.? I’d appreciate any answers!!!

ddlb  If you look at the FAQ under the Health link on the MSG it has a table that specifically shows the day of the week your cruise departs and the days when you should get tested.  

Tests must be taken with an accredited test provider, such as a drugstore chain or diagnostic lab, taken no more than 3 days before arriving at the terminal for embarkation.  Guests will be required to show their negative test result upon arriving at the pier. The results can be printed out, or can be presented on your phone, such as the email result from your test provider. Test results will need to clearly show the testing location/provider’s name, negative result, the guest’s namedate of birth, and date and time the test was taken.  Costs associated with this test are the guests' responsibility.

Departure Day First Available Day to Test Last Available Day to Test
Monday Friday Sunday
Tuesday Saturday Monday
Wednesday Sunday Tuesday
Thursday Monday Wednesday
Friday Tuesday Thursday
Saturday Wednesday Friday
Sunday Thursday Saturday
  Hope this helps

9 minutes ago, ddlb said:

I’m just learning I have to get this test for my cruise. Would you be able to tell me the cost?  I’m also confused on the three days or 72 hours. If my cruise is leaving September 26 when should I get this test.? I’d appreciate any answers!!!

Testing completed at CVS or Walgreens should be no cost to you. They will ask for your insurance information to bill insurance but the cost for you should be $0

1 hour ago, kilkoyne said:

I think I found my answer. The rapid test at CVS is an antigen test which MSC accepts for my cruise date.

I believe the antigen test is accepted if you are fully vaccinated only. Unvaccinated guests need to get the other type of test. 
If you’re fully vaccinated you should be good 

• Like 1

I've been researching CVS and Walgreens. In my area Walgreens has no rapid tests available but CVS does. I've read posts where the opposite is true depending on where you live. 

CVS lets you schedule a test 2 weeks in advance which is a bonus. I called Walgreens just to see turn around time for PCR tests and I got was a recording to schedule online but the recording also said the results have no QR code for travel and due to high volume results may be delayed. I don't think I would need a QR code but the delay for PCR results would have me concerned.

Edited by kilkoyne
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, kilkoyne said:

I've been researching CVS and Walgreens. In my area Walgreens has no rapid tests available but CVS does. I've read posts where the opposite is true depending on where you live. 

CVS lets you schedule a test 2 weeks in advance which is a bonus. I called Walgreens just to see turn around time for PCR tests and I got was a recording to schedule online but the recording also said the results have no QR code for travel and due to high volume results may be delayed. I don't think I would need a QR code but the delay for PCR results would have me concerned.

I was tested at Walgreens this Tuesday for work (I work with seniors so I’m tested weekly even though I’m vaccinated) this is what the pdf of my test results looks like. I had the pcr diagnostic as this Walgreens doesn’t do the rapid either. It took 52 hrs to receive the email with the results. 

FCF54659-915A-480C-B1B3-C8039FC4639C.jpeg

E8940F29-F1D0-4E3A-8115-74B19545A4FE.jpeg

Edited by styles27

I'm really confused now.  I'm reading that a PCR Test 72 hours or before embarkation is only required for non-vaccinated guests on Europe cruises.   I read this under PRE-CRUISE REQUIREMENTS on the MSC Web site.  Are you saying everyone now needs the test?  Seems odd since, as I understand it, MSC will administer a test during the actual embarkation process. 

5 hours ago, kjenaz said:

ddlb  If you look at the FAQ under the Health link on the MSG it has a table that specifically shows the day of the week your cruise departs and the days when you should get tested.  

Tests must be taken with an accredited test provider, such as a drugstore chain or diagnostic lab, taken no more than 3 days before arriving at the terminal for embarkation.  Guests will be required to show their negative test result upon arriving at the pier. The results can be printed out, or can be presented on your phone, such as the email result from your test provider. Test results will need to clearly show the testing location/provider’s name, negative result, the guest’s namedate of birth, and date and time the test was taken.  Costs associated with this test are the guests' responsibility.

Departure Day First Available Day to Test Last Available Day to Test
Monday Friday Sunday
Tuesday Saturday Monday
Wednesday Sunday Tuesday
Thursday Monday Wednesday
Friday Tuesday Thursday
Saturday Wednesday Friday
Sunday Thursday Saturday
  Hope this helps

THANKS SO MUCH!!!

41 minutes ago, doublebzz said:

I'm really confused now.  I'm reading that a PCR Test 72 hours or before embarkation is only required for non-vaccinated guests on Europe cruises.   I read this under PRE-CRUISE REQUIREMENTS on the MSC Web site.  Are you saying everyone now needs the test?  Seems odd since, as I understand it, MSC will administer a test during the actual embarkation process. 

Go on their website they updated it yesterday 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, doublebzz said:

MSC updated Health And Safety twice this week. 
Go to MSC and click on Health and Safety and then select location for upcoming cruises.

Caribbean cruises have new update posted after Bahamas released new requirements for those entering Bahamian waters. Fully vaccinated passengers now need to self test before cruise, refer to dates .

Currently, fully vaxed passengers with negative pre pier test can board.

Doing a PCR test on the Weds. before we sail on a Saturday with Quest Diagnostics. They do their testing at my local Walmart Pharmacy. They say the turnaround is only 24 hrs. for the test results. Just in case I'm going to set up an Antigen test on Friday at Walgreens. I can always cancel if the first test comes back on Thursday.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, miataman19 said:

Doing a PCR test on the Weds. before we sail on a Saturday with Quest Diagnostics. They do their testing at my local Walmart Pharmacy. They say the turnaround is only 24 hrs. for the test results. Just in case I'm going to set up an Antigen test on Friday at Walgreens. I can always cancel if the first test comes back on Thursday.

Exactly what I plan to do for October MSC cruise and am doing for my 9/19 RCCL Odyssey cruise. Seems like the best plan. Trying to reduce stress any way I can

9 hours ago, styles27 said:

I was tested at Walgreens this Tuesday for work (I work with seniors so I’m tested weekly even though I’m vaccinated) this is what the pdf of my test results looks like. I had the pcr diagnostic as this Walgreens doesn’t do the rapid either. It took 52 hrs to receive the email with the results. 

FCF54659-915A-480C-B1B3-C8039FC4639C.jpeg

E8940F29-F1D0-4E3A-8115-74B19545A4FE.jpeg

Thanks, I hate the 52 hour wait but that's an option if I can't get an appt for the rapid test through CVS or if I do get an appt and receive a false positive.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, miataman19 said:

I'm thinking about doing the exact opposite. I'm going to set up an appt for an antigen test Wed morning. If for some reason it comes back positive I'll retest with a PCR test that same day. 

Either way works but if I can have my paperwork completed on Wed then it's one or two less days I have to worry. 

Edited by kilkoyne

7 hours ago, kilkoyne said:

Thanks, I hate the 52 hour wait but that's an option if I can't get an appt for the rapid test through CVS or if I do get an appt and receive a false positive.

You’re welcome! 
This week is the longest I had to wait for results, probably because more people are getting tested around here now. 
Before this week it was about a 20-24 hr turnaround for results. 

Edited by styles27
  • Like 1