Rookie mistake made- help please

blueskadoo

Hey cruisers! My husband is on a solo cruise this week, and I, his loving wife, failed him. I did not pack him an old key card to

put in the light switch, and he’s a fairly forgetful fellow himself, so I see him locking himself out and leaving his key in the room. What kinds of items can be used as a substitute or is there something he can go buy from the fun shops? He’s already on board so he can’t pull apart the car. It’s his first solo, so we are used to me having the purse that holds all (which has about 15 old cards that would be perfect of course!) but I want to help him stay cool! Thanks. 

7 minutes ago, blueskadoo said:

Hey cruisers! My husband is on a solo cruise this week, and I, his loving wife, failed him. I did not pack him an old key card to

put in the light switch, and he’s a fairly forgetful fellow himself, so I see him locking himself out and leaving his key in the room. What kinds of items can be used as a substitute or is there something he can go buy from the fun shops? He’s already on board so he can’t pull apart the car. It’s his first solo, so we are used to me having the purse that holds all (which has about 15 old cards that would be perfect of course!) but I want to help him stay cool! Thanks. 

Tell him a folded up ship map works fine. Thats what i did on the MG a couple of weeks ago.

10 minutes ago, Gma&Gpa said:

I'm at a loss of what you are all talking about on this thread?  Is this something they use on the newer ships?  And what does it do?

Instead of a light switch, they have a slot as you enter the cabin. The premise is you put your Sign and Sail card in when you enter to turn on the lights, and take it back out when you leave to turn them back off. I assume to save electricity.

The trouble is, everyone is afraid they'll forget their card that way, so few people are willing to put their actual sign and sail card in the slot.

Thanks for the clarification.   Have ALL ships changed to that method, or just the newer ones.  I just want to make sure we are all prepared.  We've cruised quite a few times, but this is the first I heard of that.

6 minutes ago, Gma&Gpa said:

Thanks for the clarification.   Have ALL ships changed to that method, or just the newer ones.  I just want to make sure we are all prepared.  We've cruised quite a few times, but this is the first I heard of that.

A lot of them have it, but I don't know if it's all of them. Chances are you have something in your wallet that would work fine. Your membership card for a grocery or drug store for example. A library card. An old gift card.

Edited by Earthworm Jim

10 minutes ago, Earthworm Jim said:

Instead of a light switch, they have a slot as you enter the cabin. The premise is you put your Sign and Sail card in when you enter to turn on the lights, and take it back out when you leave to turn them back off. I assume to save electricity.

The trouble is, everyone is afraid they'll forget their card that way, so few people are willing to put their actual sign and sail card in the slot.

There are light switches as well right next to the key slot.  They don't work unless the card is inserted.

And on my recent Mardi Gras cruise, I definitely did NOT use my Walgreens/Duane Reade loyalty card for this purpose. I also did NOT use my Indiana Beach annual pass. Nope.

(Before you get snide, we did not leave the card inserted any time we left the room; we just didn't want to take the keys off the lanyards while inside).

15 minutes ago, KmomChicago said:

There are light switches as well right next to the key slot.  They don't work unless the card is inserted.

Thanks for the clarification. I had forgotten the details.

6 minutes ago, KmomChicago said:
I definitely did NOT use my Walgreens/Duane Reade loyalty card for this purpose.

OK, I'll bite. Why not? What's someone going to do, steal your card so they can get 50 cents off a 12 pack of Pepsi next time Walgreens has a sale? As far as I know, there isn't any personal information linked to them. Maybe your address, but that wouldn't be on the card.

Edited by Earthworm Jim

8 minutes ago, Earthworm Jim said:

Thanks for the clarification. I had forgotten the details.

I definitely did NOT use my Walgreens/Duane Reade loyalty card for this purpose.

OK, I'll bite. Why not? What's someone going to do, steal your card so they can get 50 cents off a 12 pack of Pepsi next time Walgreens has a sale? As far as I know, there isn't any personal information linked to them. Maybe your address, but that wouldn't be on the card.

We left the card sitting on the desk in the room when we left so it was handy to grab as soon as we walked in, but we didn't leave it in the slot when we left the room because the intent is for there to be no card in the slot when people are not in the room.

I'm not worried about anyone stealing my loyalty card or my Indiana Beach annual pass, which has my picture on it and is only good weekends for a few more weeks and not likely to fall into the hands of a room steward who could make any use of it.

Edit: Oh yeah, and that all was sarcasm.  I have plenty of old dumb cards in my wallet and those were the 2 I pulled out and in fact we did use them.

Edited by KmomChicago
  • Like 1