Here we go again. US no longer on safe travel list Europe?

Lisichka

6 minutes ago, Lisichka said:

Misleading headline...meant as clickbait. Read the actual article...here is the relevant info: 

However as the “safe list” is non-binding, American travelers would not automatically be barred from entry to E.U. countries. The last word will come from each individual E.U. country, which has the authority to impose their own restrictions.

And the reason that is important is...that is exactly how it works today. Right now going to Spain will be different than going to Portugal. The former requires nothing if you are vaxxed while the latter requires a neg covid test. This is just an example.

Basically, travelling to Europe today - just like cruising in the Caribbean - has changing rules and you need to stay up on them. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, alyssamma said:

Misleading headline...meant as clickbait. Read the actual article...here is the relevant info: 

However as the “safe list” is non-binding, American travelers would not automatically be barred from entry to E.U. countries. The last word will come from each individual E.U. country, which has the authority to impose their own restrictions.

And the reason that is important is...that is exactly how it works today. Right now going to Spain will be different than going to Portugal. The former requires nothing if you are vaxxed while the latter requires a neg covid test. This is just an example.

Basically, travelling to Europe today - just like cruising in the Caribbean - has changing rules and you need to stay up on them. 

How is this clickbait?

The relevant info is...  

The threshold for being on the “safe travel” list is having fewer than 75 new Covid-19 cases daily per 100,000 inhabitants over the previous 14 days. Currently the United States has an infection rate roughly seven times above that threshold.

The USA has exceeded the parameters that the EU has in place.

Cruises go to many countries and if each country sets the rules, some may not be able to get off the ship just like what is happening in Italy.

STeve

• Like 2

Just now, mscdivina2016 said:

How is this clickbait?

The relevant info is...  

The threshold for being on the “safe travel” list is having fewer than 75 new Covid-19 cases daily per 100,000 inhabitants over the previous 14 days. Currently the United States has an infection rate roughly seven times above that threshold.

The USA has exceeded the parameters that the EU has in place.

Cruises go to many countries and if each country sets the rules, some may not be able to get off the ship just like what is happening in Italy.

STeve

It's clickbait because the headline makes you think that Americans won't be able to travel to Europe.

It's clickbait because the end result will be little different than it is today.

Clickbait = headline makes you think one thing and the article says something else.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, alyssamma said:

There are countries and states that are desperate to remain open to visitors. Those are precisely the countries and states that I would avoid! 😬

Thanks for the article. This hasn’t affected us yet, we’re currently on a cruise in Italy and haven’t been told we can’t visit any countries as of today. We’re to visit Dubrovnik tomorrow and so far we should be able to get off the ship. 

2 hours ago, alyssamma said:

It's clickbait because the headline makes you think that Americans won't be able to travel to Europe.

It's clickbait because the end result will be little different than it is today.

Clickbait = headline makes you think one thing and the article says something else.

It also has misleading stats like “14 times the limit.” Well 14 times 75 cases is still only 1,050, and that’s per 100,000 people which is only slightly more than 1%, which means roughly 99% of people are fine. Doesn’t seem like a catastrophe. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, alyssamma said:

I guess I still don't understand?

It is a news item/story from a reputable source that gains no value or benefit from me clicking on it to read the article.

I pay for online Forbes, so I get no ads and there are no other links in it as far as I can see? 

The headline is exactly what the EU powers there have been discussing. And if correct It may impact my cruise in November, which involves Italy, Greece, France and Spain so it has potential important content to me.

What end result will be different than today? The potential end result today is travel by US citizens may be impacted. What other end result tomorrow would be different?

The headline makes me think that my travel may be affected and that was the content of it.

Steve

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, DCGuy64 said:

It also has misleading stats like “14 times the limit.” Well 14 times 75 cases is still only 1,050, and that’s per 100,000 people which is only slightly more than 1%, which means roughly 99% of people are fine. Doesn’t seem like a catastrophe. 

I see the math, and the numbers and they do seem to be overkill, nevertheless what they have put forth may be a catastrophe for my travel plans.

Steve

40 minutes ago, mscdivina2016 said:

I guess I still don't understand?

It is a news item/story from a reputable source that gains no value or benefit from me clicking on it to read the article.

I pay for online Forbes, so I get no ads and there are no other links in it as far as I can see? 

The headline is exactly what the EU powers there have been discussing. And if correct It may impact my cruise in November, which involves Italy, Greece, France and Spain so it has potential important content to me.

What end result will be different than today? The potential end result today is travel by US citizens may be impacted. What other end result tomorrow would be different?

The headline makes me think that my travel may be affected and that was the content of it.

Steve

Yeah, don't know how to explain it any clearer than I did already.

If a headline makes you think one thing - usually alarmist - and then you read the article and realize the reality is something different, then it's clickbait.

Maybe you are confusing clickbait with pay for clicks? It doesn't matter that you pay for or how reputable the source is. From the dictionary...you'll see this fits the definition *exactly*

click·bait
/ˈklikbāt/

noun

1. (on the internet) content whose main purpose is to attract attention and encourage visitors to click on a link to a particular web page.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, HappyInVan said:

There are countries and states that are desperate to remain open to visitors. Those are precisely the countries and states that I would avoid! 😬

Not sure how a country that requires a negative covid test to enter (Portugal) is desperate. I guess the USA is desperate for visitors too since it does the same.

Regardless, that's cool...less visitors for me. I love a non-touristy Europe 🙂

6 minutes ago, alyssamma said:

Not sure how a country that requires a negative covid test to enter (Portugal) is desperate. I guess the USA is desperate for visitors too since it does the same.

Regardless, that's cool...less visitors for me. I love a non-touristy Europe 🙂

If they would not be desperate they would just close the borders for tourists completely. Like the way the US is currently doing it for the Europeans.

But if i need the tourists to keep the business going then i as a country will accept all people with a negative test.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, CruiseMH said:

If they would not be desperate they would just close the borders for tourists completely. Like the way the US is currently doing it for the Europeans.

But if i need the tourists to keep the business going then i as a country will accept all people with a negative test.

I don't think that follows. Individual EU states don't decide what to do based on tourism. But, again, it's cool that you think that...believe me, I'm happy and wish more people did. Europe is lovely with just Europeans 🙂

8 minutes ago, alyssamma said:

I don't think that follows. Individual EU states don't decide what to do based on tourism. But, again, it's cool that you think that...believe me, I'm happy and wish more people did. Europe is lovely with just Europeans 🙂

There are countries in Europe where tourism is responsible for up to 15-20% of the GDP. 😉

They do for sure decide what to do based on their most important source of income. Not germany, the UK and France of course.But greece and Spain for sure. I don`t know how big the influence of US-tourists is in these countries, but in general the tourism is so important that it has an influence on all of their decisions. It is for sure not the main factor of their decisions.

But i do agree with you that it nice to have europe for us,at least for some time.

• Like 2

To avoid anyone unnecessarily panicking this will 99% have no impact for any US tourists as long as you are vaccinated. 

The EU green list is used as a recommendation to EU countries for allowing unvaccinated tourists into the schengen area, and includes countries with a covid rate less than 75 per 100k people.  The covid rate in the US now exceeds this, so US should be removed.  Many countries made the change already in the last month.

If you are vaccinated and visiting from the US then I am sure you will still be enjoying your Med cruise in September, October and onwards.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, 8420PR said:

If you are vaccinated and visiting from the US then I am sure you will still be enjoying your Med cruise in September, October and onwards.

This sure makes me feel better as I'm booked on a Sep 18th cruise out of Barcelona.  Does anyone on this thread disagree with 8420PR's analysis?

22 minutes ago, doublebzz said:

This sure makes me feel better as I'm booked on a Sep 18th cruise out of Barcelona.  Does anyone on this thread disagree with 8420PR's analysis?

I *agree* with it...and was my point for calling the article clickbait.

You should be fine on your cruise...

52 minutes ago, doublebzz said:

I do.  Nothing is certain anymore.  It wasn’t too long ago that I could not even fly home to Holland from the US.  Now I can, but maybe after this Holland may impose restrictions again.  We know nothing until we “know for sure”.  And even then, it may all change again the day after.

Edited by Lisichka

1 hour ago, doublebzz said:

Does anyone on this thread disagree

I think it is hard to say one way or the other.  When the EU first published their list of "epidemiological safe" third countries, I believe Spain was one of the members who was more restrictive than the recommendation and adopted a lesser list of safe countries?  So do you think they will now be more lenient and not follow it?

According to the WHO data, many of the EU countries currently exceed the so-called thresholds for being "safe" themselves (but maybe not as high as the US).  Lots of political pressure points on both sides of the issue and clearly economic considerations.

I am in a wait and see camp.  I do believe that once the new list is published, it might take some countries a few days to a few weeks to decide what to do.  Will MSC act preemptively and follow EU recommendations and not wait to see what each country does?  I think there is some prior evidence of that happening.

• Like 2

Here is an infographic from the EU:

https://www.consilium.europa.eu/en/infographics/covid19-travel-restrictions-third-countries/

2 important points:

(1) It is a recommendation from the EU council - not binding on EU countries.

(2) There are 3 categories recommended to be allowed in the EU:  (a) vaccinated travelers, (b) essential travelers and (c) non-essential travelers from countries on the EU green list (with the criteria shown at the bottom).

Whatever happens to the USA staying or leaving the green list, the EU recommends that vaccinated people from around the world should be allowed into the EU Schengen area (subject to existing visa conditions) for non essential travel (i.e. cruising).  

13 minutes ago, 8420PR said:

Here is an infographic from the EU:

https://www.consilium.europa.eu/en/infographics/covid19-travel-restrictions-third-countries/

2 important points:

(1) It is a recommendation from the EU council - not binding on EU countries.

(2) There are 3 categories recommended to be allowed in the EU:  (a) vaccinated travelers, (b) essential travelers and (c) non-essential travelers from countries on the EU green list (with the criteria shown at the bottom).

Whatever happens to the USA staying or leaving the green list, the EU recommends that vaccinated people from around the world should be allowed into the EU Schengen area (subject to existing visa conditions) for non essential travel (i.e. cruising).  

That's an old infographic from June it appears

Here's the newest from 3 hours ago.  The USA has been dropped off safe list.

https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/eu-travel-restrictions-intl-hnk/index.html

Steve

Edited by mscdivina2016