Any Upgrade Bids Accepted Recently?

rad798

14 hours ago, Sydneyberlin said:

... The cruise is on the Epic in two weeks and a bit and is a 15 nights Westbound Panama Canal itinerary departing Miami and ending up in LA. Our original category was a Club mini-suite which is our standard as we’re quite comfortable in that and it’s just about what we’re willing to spend initially...

I don't think you are on the Epic.  The Epic is doing a San Juan to NYC trip departing on April 14 followed by a TA to Barcelona.  

The Encore leaves on April 16 and ends in LA through the Canal.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, vacationut said:

Currently in a balcony for about $1600pp. 

I get they want to maximize profit. But if I bid $3000 (my max) and someone already in the Haven bids $2500 (their max), why wouldn't they take the extra $500 of my bid? NCL already got the amount for the cabin already. So the upgrade bid should just straight up be the bigger amount. At least that's how I assume it should work. But we all know about assuming. 

I see you are on the Encore.  Well I was on the Encore for the repo this past November from the west coast thru the canal for 21 nights and the bidding did not work out. I too saw those great prices and I bid max on everything. It went live bidding.

I won the lowest haven room which was a spa room for a little over $4000pp.

5 hours ago, vacationut said:

Ah, I wasn't thinking WHOLE picture. And that's why I don't run the upgrade program. 🤣 Thanks for straightening me out. 

*I think I will bump my owner suite bid to max. It's fun to dream sometimes. 

Love it.  I hope you win the bid!  

34 minutes ago, mscdivina2016 said:

I see you are on the Encore.  Well I was on the Encore for the repo this past November from the west coast thru the canal for 21 nights and the bidding did not work out. I too saw those great prices and I bid max on everything. It went live bidding.

I won the lowest haven room which was a spa room for a little over $4000pp.

Unexpected results can occur on upgrade bids. We were notified of an upgrade acceptance       yesterday...one of 7 that I placed for the Encore 4/16-5/1 sailing. I did not expect to be awarded any of them as my bids were only 60ish percent of maximum. Less in a couple of cases.

It was for a Forward Facing Penthouse, upgrading from a Club Balcony. I don't really get it, but I am certainly delighted (although not nearly as much so as my wife. 🙂)

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, KJ Knowles said:

Unexpected results can occur on upgrade bids. We were notified of an upgrade acceptance       yesterday...one of 7 that I placed for the Encore 4/16-5/1 sailing. I did not expect to be awarded any of them as my bids were only 60ish percent of maximum. Less in a couple of cases.

It was for a Forward Facing Penthouse, upgrading from a Club Balcony. I don't really get it, but I am certainly delighted (although not nearly as much so as my wife. 🙂)

They great. Enjoy!!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, jimsig said:

I don't think you are on the Epic.  The Epic is doing a San Juan to NYC trip departing on April 14 followed by a TA to Barcelona.  

The Encore leaves on April 16 and ends in LA through the Canal.  

Oh so sorry, I’m an idiot making this mistake all the time. We have the Epic booked for the Mediterranean next year, that’s why I mix it up all the time.

Yes, we’re on Encore!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, KJ Knowles said:

You’re on the same sailing as us! Looks like there were a few lucky on this ship 😁

• Like 1

We are sailing on the Joy next month out of Miami. We have  2 bedroom inside suite and have bids in on 3 haven rooms. Owners suite, 2bd room large balcony and 2 bedroom small balcony. I called today to see if I could just pay for an upgrade as it looks like everything is sold out but all 3 bids are still pending. Why would that be if they’re all sold out?

3 hours ago, Sailing_sunset said:

To add clarity, we sail in 2 weeks and they’ve been showing sold out fo 5-6 weeks 🫤

Seems to be normal- they keep you hoping, just in case someone cancels last minute. For them it’s then better they cash in the upgrade offer, rather than having the room empty in the end.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Sydneyberlin said:

Oh so sorry, I’m an idiot making this mistake all the time. We have the Epic booked for the Mediterranean next year, that’s why I mix it up all the time.

Yes, we’re on Encore!

It's a good issue to have 😀

• Haha 1

when we cruised in December our ship was near capacity but people on the Facebook group for our sailing were commenting 10 days out that they'd received upgrades

Now we our sailing again April 9 and have not heard anything yet on our upgrade bid, so i checked a Facebook page for the April 2 sailing (out of curiosity) and they were also several people commenting that they had not heard anything back regarding upgrades

So which is the "norm" , people hear 10 days out? or is people don't hear until the last minute the normal time frame

Edited by Clashed

4 minutes ago, Clashed said:

when we cruised in December our ship was near capacity but people on the Facebook group for our sailing were commenting 10 days out that they'd received upgrades

Now we our sailing again April 9 and have not heard anything yet on our upgrade bid, so i checked a Facebook page for the April 2 sailing (out of curiosity) and they were also several people commenting that they had not heard anything back regarding upgrades

So which is the "norm" , people hear 10 days out? or is people don't hear until the last minute the normal time frame

Our cruise is literally tomorrow (4/1) and yesterday they sent me an email that my bids (some near min) were still being considered and I could be upgraded up to 0 hours before sailing.

cruise has been sold out for weeks

Edited by jumbojem96

5 minutes ago, Clashed said:

Doubt that there is any "norm" - lots of variables.

I once got my upgrade (pre covid) 3 months out.  They wanted my room for resale.  Got my last upgrade (December) 8 days out. In July, 4 days.

Each sailing is going to be different - total capacity, capacity within categories.  History of sales for the itinerary - they know if there are going to be lots of last minute bookings.  Or people choosing to pay for an upgrade as they decide not to chance the upgrade.

• Thanks 2

On 3/25/2023 at 8:53 AM, mscdivina2016 said:

For clarification.  I booked an inside, used points for a double upgrade to a balcony and then bid.

So I was $7000 lower than those who booked a balcony to start with.

Hi mscdivinia2016,

May I ask what type of points you used? I would like to learn about upgrading with points. Your strategy is so clever! I have airline miles/points, Chase Ultimate Reward, credit card rewards to cash out, etc. Are any of these eligible to exchange for NCL upgrade?  

1 hour ago, whattodo said:

Hi mscdivinia2016,

May I ask what type of points you used? I would like to learn about upgrading with points. Your strategy is so clever! I have airline miles/points, Chase Ultimate Reward, credit card rewards to cash out, etc. Are any of these eligible to exchange for NCL upgrade?  

Hi,

It's the NCL bank of America MasterCard.  Nice thing about it is you get triple points for NCL purchases.

Nothing else works as well. The big rewards are room upgrades as nothing else is worth it.

mscdivina2016, sounds like a major score in theory, but how much did  you spend total on your credit card to  amass that amount of points? 

when you factor in total spending throughout the year, interest payments and current balance, did you really get such a great deal, or would have been just as equal if you paid for the cabin.

and i dont mean to rain on your parade, just curious

3 hours ago, complawyer said:

mscdivina2016, sounds like a major score in theory, but how much did  you spend total on your credit card to  amass that amount of points? 

when you factor in total spending throughout the year, interest payments and current balance, did you really get such a great deal, or would have been just as equal if you paid for the cabin.

and i dont mean to rain on your parade, just curious

I never ever carried a balance. I pay in full all the time. 

I spend $20,000 to get the 60,000 points.

I have 5 cruises booked thru NCL right now

• Like 3

You can also accumulate 30,000 points and then get a free upgrade from an oceanview to a balcony.  To get 30,000 points you need to spend $10,000 with NCL.  We book two cruises and then have enough to upgrade.  You can also reserve an oceanview and make you final payment including DSC and let it post to the ncl credit card then call and upgrade your cabin. This strategy works best on the older ships.  It’s easy to save $1500 per person.  On the larger ships we save around $500 per person.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, spanishguy1970 said:

We are 19 days away and bidding on higher categories, currently on a Balcony. The Epic transatlantic. It currently says only category available is inside everything else sold out, so doubt very much our offers will be considered.

Keep us posted!  It is interesting to track how much this varies across different sailings.  Also seems like only max bids are getting accepted recently, it has been a long time since someone mentioned winning an upgrade with a minimum or near-minimum bid…

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Can somebody one remind me about "pending status". We are about 28 days out and remember seeing other who said they would see somewhere it said pending?  Where is that in relationship to the different screens?  Top, middle, bottom of the bid screen?

Edited by oracer

On 4/6/2023 at 12:55 PM, oracer said:

Can somebody one remind me about "pending status". We are about 28 days out and remember seeing other who said they would see somewhere it said pending?  Where is that in relationship to the different screens?  Top, middle, bottom of the bid screen?

Pending means your bid is still valid and you are still up for the upgrade. If it is expired it means your bid was not accepted

On 4/6/2023 at 3:55 PM, oracer said:

Pending is the default status for a bid.  When it flips to processing it means you won.

• Like 1