Interesting read...Testing may no longer be covered by insurance

mouche

37 minutes ago, mouche said:

Just read this article stating insurance coverage for Covid-19 testing will be expiring, I hope the link works.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/covid-medical-bills-bigger-123920634.html

Testing that is not medically necessary has not been covered since 2020 by most carriers. (examples of not medically necessary = for travel, for returning to work, etc.)

It does say that. But this article seems to be mostly focused on covid treatment, not covid testing. I have no idea if my insurance plan is going to change anything. But my workplace is going to start requiring weekly tests for people who are unvaccinated and they have been really hitting home the fact that the test will be free and available from several sources that are not city run. So I am taking that to mean our insurance will be covering it. 

The reality is that medical insurance has seldom covered any non-prescription testing (testing for which there is not a physician's order).  COVID was an exception (with many policies) because of lots of pressure put on the insurance industry by the Trump Administration.  Many insurance companies have since stopped paying for COVID testing unless it is ordered by a physician.   We will soon need a RT-PCR test for an upcoming trip/cruise and will need to pay that cost out of our pocket.   And why not?  There is no medical necessity for that COVID test.

Hank

20 hours ago, Bo1953 said:

Does that mean if I Am able to get a Dr.'s script for a ten (10) night sailing that the test will be paid for by insurance?  LOL

bon voyage

The truth is yes.  If a physician orders a test (even for COVID) the insurer will almost always consider it medically necessary.  Another upside to such an order is that you can get the test at hospitals and labs that might not be available to just a walk in.   I think many cruisers/travelers are now finding that it is not always so easy to get a COVID test with fast/guaranteed turn around on results.  If you live in a place like NYC getting tested is easy.  But live here in Central PA and it is difficult.  As we have previously posted, to get a standard RT-PCR test for travel we will need to drive about 1:15 (each way) to the nearest lab we can find that meets the necessary requirements and guarantees test results in under 48 hours.

Hank

• Thanks 1