Encore-Alaska-Oct 2nd to Oct 9th, 2021

graphicguy

Not going to get knuckles deep in how this cruise is happening, but it is (we think).  Cruised Celebrity in July and August.  Coming back to NCL, after I swore I wouldn't, due to the girlfriend's desire to take this particular cruise.  If it makes her happy, it'll make me happy.  This was all on her to research and book.  She chose the ship (Encore), the itinerary (Alaska) and the cabin (Club Balcony).   She's practical.  So, she booked on the same deck that has the big lounge with a wall of floor to ceiling windows in it.  So, to her thinking, we won't need a big balcony.  And, since it's going to be on the cool side weather wise, we probably won't hang out on the balcony, anyway.  Fair enough!  Makes sense!  

We're in a Club Balcony Suite, where the suite really is a misnomer.  But, she's all about the bathroom so she can make her beautiful self even more stunning.  So, Club Suite big bathroom it is.

We're Platinum Latitudes.   As such, we get 2 specialty restaurant dinners for 2, in addition to the 2 specialty restaurant dinners that come with our cabin.  We'll get 2 bags of free laundry, which should take care of packing light.  I've challenged her to pack only a roll aboard and a backpack, which also fits her purse.  The goal is to check nothing.

She booked the cruise.  I'm booking the flights.  Given I have a ton of Frequent Flyer miles from when I was still working (retired this year).  So, we'll be flying in day of the cruise.  The flight hits all my qualifiers for flying in the same day of embarkation.  It leaves early enough (6:00 a.m.) to get us to Seattle (8:00 a.m. given the time difference) in plenty of time before sail away at 5:00 p.m., if there are delays.  It's a direct flight, so no issues missing connections.  There are two other flights after it that will get us there in time.  So, flame away, but it's booked.

I'm still pretty PO'd at NCL.  Got jerked around and screwed over. This would not have been my choice.  But, in reality, it wasn't my choice.

We're still a month away.  So, who knows what could happen?

Will update here if anything does happen.

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

Not going to get knuckles deep in how this cruise is happening, but it is (we think).  Cruised Celebrity in July and August.  Coming back to NCL, after I swore I wouldn't, due to the girlfriend's desire to take this particular cruise.  If it makes her happy, it'll make me happy.  This was all on her to research and book.  She chose the ship (Encore), the itinerary (Alaska) and the cabin (Club Balcony).   She's practical.  So, she booked on the same deck that has the big lounge with a wall of floor to ceiling windows in it.  So, to her thinking, we won't need a big balcony.  And, since it's going to be on the cool side weather wise, we probably won't hang out on the balcony, anyway.  Fair enough!  Makes sense!  

We're in a Club Balcony Suite, where the suite really is a misnomer.  But, she's all about the bathroom so she can make her beautiful self even more stunning.  So, Club Suite big bathroom it is.

We're Platinum Latitudes.   As such, we get 2 specialty restaurant dinners for 2, in addition to the 2 specialty restaurant dinners that come with our cabin.  We'll get 2 bags of free laundry, which should take care of packing light.  I've challenged her to pack only a roll aboard and a backpack, which also fits her purse.  The goal is to check nothing.

She booked the cruise.  I'm booking the flights.  Given I have a ton of Frequent Flyer miles from when I was still working (retired this year).  So, we'll be flying in day of the cruise.  The flight hits all my qualifiers for flying in the same day of embarkation.  It leaves early enough (6:00 a.m.) to get us to Seattle (8:00 a.m. given the time difference) in plenty of time before sail away at 5:00 p.m., if there are delays.  It's a direct flight, so no issues missing connections.  There are two other flights after it that will get us there in time.  So, flame away, but it's booked.

I'm still pretty PO'd at NCL.  Got jerked around and screwed over. This would not have been my choice.  But, in reality, it wasn't my choice.

We are on the sailing right before yours. So looking forward to it! Never been on NCL. Celebrity and Royal to Alaska previously. Just want to get away, back on the open seas, be pampered and see the beauty that is Alaska!

13 minutes ago, Wink87 said:

We are on the sailing right before yours. So looking forward to it! Never been on NCL. Celebrity and Royal to Alaska previously. Just want to get away, back on the open seas, be pampered and see the beauty that is Alaska!

We've never been to Alaska.  So, looking forward to this.  Celebrity is my "go to" cruise line.  But, this one is all about the girlfriend.  So, NCL it is.

NCL's business practices are wonky and not particularly ethical in my estimation. But, their entertainment is 2nd to none.  Their ships, service and food are all very good, too.  If they've come back with as much enthusiasm as they keep saying they have, you'll enjoy your cruise.

Anxious to hear how your cruse goes.

Edited by graphicguy
  • Like 2

49 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

I completely understand the negative feelings regarding corporate...BUT...at least for me the overall vibe of NCL keeps pulling me back in! 😉 Welcome back...(Even if short lived)

• Haha 1

@graphicguyhow exciting and now the GF gets to go and have a well deserved break. Will look forward to your review as I loved your Celebrity reviews. I was also anxious to get on a ship this year and it was a toss up between Encore and Breakaway. I chose Breakaway to Bermuda since it departs out of NYC and we are in MA and we do have a 15 day cruisetour with Princess next June. Our last cruise was to Alaska in Sept. 2019 on the NCL Jewel which was BF's first cruise and he got hooked.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, graphicguy said:

So, she booked on the same deck that has the big lounge with a wall of floor to ceiling windows in it.  So, to her thinking, we won't need a big balcony.

I was originally booked on the same deck as the observation lounge.  Then prices dropped and I saved $400 by dropping down to the same room two decks down.  For $400, I'll ride those elevators all week long!  Heck, I might even take the stairs and take credit for a daily workout. 😎

Have a great time.  I'm right behind you....

Edited by ChiefMateJRK
  • Like 2

For one of your specialty dinners, make sure you book Onda. It is fabulous.  And if you haven''t been on the Bliss or Encore, stop by Q and get a spicy peach margarita and maybe an app or two (wouldn't use a specialty meal to eat there).  48 hours from now I will be on board and cannot wait!

• Like 3

Before my Celebrity cruises, and the last cruise we took before the shutdown was on the Carnival Vista in February 2020.  We last sailed NCL in September 2019 on the Breakaway…..2 solid years ago.  

We were talking about this last night.  She had just started working a lot of OT in February 2020.  We were discussing maybe my potential retirement, and she was thinking the OT wouldn’t last more than a few weeks.

I retired nearly a year after that last Carnival Cruise as my entire company had gone to “work from home”, whereas I was a road warrior and flew nearly 125K miles/year up until that point.  We were trying to count the days off she has had since that last Carnival Cruise and in total it has been about 60 days off.  And, most of the work days were between 10-12+ hours.

Here we are, on the cusp of jumping on a ship together, again. The only constant is change.

She loves NCL. I used to love NCL.  Let’s see how they plan on making me “love cruising” with them, again.

Thanks for the tip about Onda and Q. I have not kept abreast of the changes to NCL, so appreciate any pointers….especially from those who have sailed the Encore to Alaska recently.

She’s in the process of scoping out upgrades.  This is her circus.  I’m just one of the monkeys.

Edited by graphicguy
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Just had an interesting conversation with an NCL post cruise support person.  First, very easy and quick to reach.  No hold time...at all.  Just answered a couple of automated questions and BOOM, the very nice representative was on the line.

I usually find my own transport from the airport to the pier, at least in most situations.  I find I can control my schedule better, and it's usually no more expensive than scheduling it through the cruise line.

My GF made a good point, in that if we scheduled the transfers through NCL, would they get us to the COVID testing site in enough time for our scheduled appointments, since that would require more than just a few trips from SEA to Pier 66.

Posed that question to NCL support.  The nice support lady said if the cruise line provided transfer agent at the airport did not get us to the testing site at our scheduled appointment, that we should just get a taxi or UBER at the airport and submit the receipt to customer service so they could reimburse us.

First time I've hear that.  Pleasantly surprised, too.

OK....now I feel like a total newbie.  Out of all my cruises, I've never sailed to Alaska.  October weather looks like 50º-60º?  Is that a fair assumption?  Is it rainy?  What to pack?  Assuming jeans and hoodies would be fine?  Maybe a rain jacket?

Appreciate the help and any insight provided.

19 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

OK....now I feel like a total newbie.  Out of all my cruises, I've never sailed to Alaska.  October weather looks like 50º-60º?  Is that a fair assumption?  Is it rainy?  What to pack?  Assuming jeans and hoodies would be fine?  Maybe a rain jacket?

You will totally love Alaska. Truly an amazing place. Beautiful scenery, eagles flying overhead. Don't let the temps get you down. Even when the temps look cold, the sun seems to always be shining so jackets often came off.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

Dress in layers. Definitely bring a rain jacket and you might want to invest in some waterproof shoes if you don't have any.  

• Like 2

On 9/2/2021 at 3:09 PM, graphicguy said:

We've never been to Alaska.  So, looking forward to this.  Celebrity is my "go to" cruise line.  But, this one is all about the girlfriend.  So, NCL it is.

NCL's business practices are wonky and not particularly ethical in my estimation. But, their entertainment is 2nd to none.  Their ships, service and food are all very good, too.  If they've come back with as much enthusiasm as they keep saying they have, you'll enjoy your cruise.

Anxious to hear how your cruse goes.

In watching another thread, both Kinky Boots and Choir of Man were cancelled. I hope what ever the reason, that it is fixed soon! I've heard NCL entertainment is outstanding.

• Like 1

We were on the 8/28 sailing. Got to see Kinky Boots, but Choir of Man was cancelled for the 2nd showing on the last sea day, so we missed them. Weather-wise, we had fantastic days. Low 60s with sunshine everywhere except in Ketchikan where we had rain. Lots of people in t-shirts with an outer layer to throw on when it got chilly. Some folks wore gloves and winter hats on the tour boats when it got windy, but most were fine with a light jacket and warmer layer under that can come off when it warmed up.

For the drink of the day at the Sail & Sustain bar - it's outside. I never found it and wanted that watermelon cocktail darnnit. It's near the mojito bar, but you can only reach it outside on the waterfront area just outside the mojito bar area. 

One of our specialty dinners we picked Q as we had never tried it before. 3 of us ate for the price of a single meal credit - so save it and pay a la carte if you want to eat there. Tons of food, so you can share the sampler platter and a few sides for <$50. Onda had too much seafood for my liking, so we skipped it and went straight to Ocean Blue, where you expect seafood.

On the glacier viewing day, we did the tour that brings you up close and personal. Folks on the ship were annoyed because it only stayed with views from one side of the ship - port. So if you were hanging out in your balcony starboard side waiting for your turn, you were SOL. Head to the observation lounge early as I heard they were packed to the gills. Or get on the excursion and get yourself a margarita made from glacial icerbergs.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Sailing12Away said:

We were on the 8/28 sailing. Got to see Kinky Boots, but Choir of Man was cancelled for the 2nd showing on the last sea day, so we missed them. Weather-wise, we had fantastic days. Low 60s with sunshine everywhere except in Ketchikan where we had rain. Lots of people in t-shirts with an outer layer to throw on when it got chilly. Some folks wore gloves and winter hats on the tour boats when it got windy, but most were fine with a light jacket and warmer layer under that can come off when it warmed up.

For the drink of the day at the Sail & Sustain bar - it's outside. I never found it and wanted that watermelon cocktail darnnit. It's near the mojito bar, but you can only reach it outside on the waterfront area just outside the mojito bar area. 

One of our specialty dinners we picked Q as we had never tried it before. 3 of us ate for the price of a single meal credit - so save it and pay a la carte if you want to eat there. Tons of food, so you can share the sampler platter and a few sides for <$50. Onda had too much seafood for my liking, so we skipped it and went straight to Ocean Blue, where you expect seafood.

On the glacier viewing day, we did the tour that brings you up close and personal. Folks on the ship were annoyed because it only stayed with views from one side of the ship - port. So if you were hanging out in your balcony starboard side waiting for your turn, you were SOL. Head to the observation lounge early as I heard they were packed to the gills. Or get on the excursion and get yourself a margarita made from glacial icerbergs.

Good info!  Thanks!

4 hours ago, Wink87 said:

In watching another thread, both Kinky Boots and Choir of Man were cancelled. I hope what ever the reason, that it is fixed soon! I've heard NCL entertainment is outstanding.

Saw Choir of Man on our very last NCL cruise a few years ago.  Great show!  I figured the show’s contract had to be coming to an end.  So no surprise they replaced it.  Thanks for the heads up!

1 hour ago, Sailing12Away said:

The up close and personal glacier tour won’t be happening in October. I wanted to do that excursion on my 9/18 cruise, but NCL isn’t offering it because it is too late in season. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, lepidoptera said:

The up close and personal glacier tour won’t be happening in October. I wanted to do that excursion on my 9/18 cruise, but NCL isn’t offering it because it is too late in season. 

There was a lot of floating ice on our trip. I mean, I knew I was in Alaska but wasn't expecting to see giant icebergs around me. It was surprising at first when we saw the first one, then you got used to it and felt ok when the small boat crew explained that they knew which ones they could sail through and which ones to avoid - hence, hang on, as we'll be doing a bit of ducking and weaving as we got closer. But then you start thinking about the bigger ship and how non-agile it is... 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Cruiser021421 said:

How quickly after completing your online registration did you receive this email? Thanks!

Received this letter today….exactly 21 days before embarkation.  Also, today was the first day I could complete the Health And Safety portion of checkin after scheduling my Antigen test at embarkation.

• Like 1