Medivac on its way to the Panorama

tallnthensome

14 minutes ago, urbanhawk said:

Mine, too. Hope they had insurance (for the medivac).

Coast Guard performs these operations at no charge. It is part of their mission to aid ships at sea.

Insurance applies once you are deposited on land whether it is a helipad at the nearest hospital or landing point at airstrip with ground transportation to hospital.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, arkaine23 said:

We had 2 medical responses on Vista last week.  Falls I think.  One was for sure, down the stairs onto Lido deck, broken ribs.

Falls are serious business. I hope neither person was badly hurt.

Something to think about - falls are not covered by insurance if they are the result of intoxication.

44 minutes ago, Babr said:

Coast Guard performs these operations at no charge. It is part of their mission to aid ships at sea.

Insurance applies once you are deposited on land whether it is a helipad at the nearest hospital or landing point at airstrip with ground transportation to hospital.

Good to know (about the Coast Guard). Thanks.

52 minutes ago, Babr said:

You can't expect the U.S. Coast Guard to pick you up in the Sea of Cortez or when sailing off Puerto Vallarta, Mazatlan or Cabo. I've seen this posted before as if it's the solution all the time and this simply isn't so.

Just now, sanmarcosman said:

You can't expect the U.S. Coast Guard to pick you up in the Sea of Cortez or when sailing off Puerto Vallarta, Mazatlan or Cabo. I've seen this posted before as if it's the solution all the time and this simply isn't so.

No, I don’t. It is our Coast Guard when the ship is in range. Otherwise, it is the Coast Guard or its equivalent from the nearest country.

Who do you think does air evacuations in other countries? Where do you think they take you?

And yes there are times when it just does not work - out of range or unfavorable weather or sea conditions. That is why there is a morgue on board.

29 minutes ago, Babr said:

No, I don’t. It is our Coast Guard when the ship is in range. Otherwise, it is the Coast Guard or its equivalent from the nearest country.

Who do you think does air evacuations in other countries? Where do you think they take you?

And yes there are times when it just does not work - out of range or unfavorable weather or sea conditions. That is why there is a morgue on board.

I said I see it posted, not by whom. Not all countries have a qualified coast guard with air services and not all are free for foreigners if they even have such services. There are more variables than one can shake a stick at to make blanket statements. Adding the caveats we have expressed here is valuable information to be shared on posts on this subject.

17 minutes ago, sanmarcosman said:

I said I see it posted, not by whom. Not all countries have a qualified coast guard with air services and not all are free for foreigners if they even have such services. There are more variables than one can shake a stick at to make blanket statements. Adding the caveats we have expressed here is valuable information to be shared on posts on this subject.

For countries that are capable of air evacuation, international agreements exist to aid ships at sea, whether commercial or leisure. There is no charge.

We are talking about instances where air rescues are possible and necessary. Most of the time, when a passenger needs care beyond the capability of the ship’s infirmary, he is disembarked at the first opportunity and transported by ambulance to the nearest appropriate facility. Air rescue is only for those who can’t wait and only if it is available.

As I said before, it is not always possible. In that case, ships just have to store the body.