Staterooms 9047 and 9049 QM2 queens suite experience

aday10

Hi all, 

As my cruise has been cancelled again, I have managed to find a deal on the Queens suite Q5 grade on the Queen Mary 2. 

I was wondering if anyone has experience of this rooms? 

Also any recommendations, dos and donts for a Queens Grill grade would be very welcome! I have only ever done inside, oceanview, balcony and club balcony! 

I have my fingers crossed this one won’t be cancelled but we shall see 😂

5D199B2B-1BF9-4662-8961-9D43A2310587.jpeg

37 minutes ago, RJChatsworth said:

Unless you want two adjoining cabins I would never book cabins with connecting doors as these have.  There can be more noise and the interconnecting door spoils the look of a beautiful cabin.  Just my opinion!

Sorry I should of said I have booked both of these cabins, I am travelling with my grandparents 🙂 

so I purposely booked these rooms for the adjoining aspect! I may regret it down the line lol 

Edited by aday10

1 hour ago, BigMac1953 said:

On one occasion when we took my parents, we booked one room on each side so we could sit out in the sun using each other's rooms, rather than be adjoining.

that is a good idea! 

I decided on adjoining rooms as it’s going to be January so I doubt there will be much sun. 

If anyone has tips for being in a queens grill suite then please share! Is there anything that we should definitely do? Only going to be on the ship for 4 nights. 

Are drinks in the stateroom replenished as soon as you finish? 

9 minutes ago, aday10 said:

Are drinks in the stateroom replenished as soon as you finish?

Pretty much...but you are on for only four nights. If you want lots of something in particular, like, say, lots of tonic for gin, let them know at the start, and they'll put extra in your fridge.

Hopefully, by the time you travel, things will be sort of back to normal.

You will be amongst the first to board. QG is first. then PG, then Diamond, Platinum followed by everybody else. The QG & PG (normally) open for lunch. Your assigned table will be on a card in your room, but it's best to get to the restaurant at 1:00pm sharp and speak to the Maitre d' if your table is not to your liking. There is a "pecking order" so don't expect the best tables.

Order your 2 x spirits asap and with a bit of luck you'll have them late afternoon. I always get extra beers as you only get 4 small tins.

The pillows are very soft so we get them double stuffed.

I always need more coat hangers (for my shirts) so ask your butler right away if you need any more.

Canapes will be delivered late afternoon, but we tell the butler not to bother. Hot canapes are available in the Grill Lounge before dinner.

The Grill Lounge also serves (free) coffee from mid-morning.

The next day's menus will appear every evening. Peruse them and if nothing excites you, tell the Maitre d' what you would like instead. Some dishes require a few days notice, e.g. Peking Duck is a minimum of 3 days.

There's lots more, but feel free to ask away about anything specifically.

Stewart

22 minutes ago, BigMac1953 said:

Hopefully, by the time you travel, things will be sort of back to normal.

You will be amongst the first to board. QG is first. then PG, then Diamond, Platinum followed by everybody else. The QG & PG (normally) open for lunch. Your assigned table will be on a card in your room, but it's best to get to the restaurant at 1:00pm sharp and speak to the Maitre d' if your table is not to your liking. There is a "pecking order" so don't expect the best tables.

Order your 2 x spirits asap and with a bit of luck you'll have them late afternoon. I always get extra beers as you only get 4 small tins.

The pillows are very soft so we get them double stuffed.

I always need more coat hangers (for my shirts) so ask your butler right away if you need any more.

Canapes will be delivered late afternoon, but we tell the butler not to bother. Hot canapes are available in the Grill Lounge before dinner.

The Grill Lounge also serves (free) coffee from mid-morning.

The next day's menus will appear every evening. Peruse them and if nothing excites you, tell the Maitre d' what you would like instead. Some dishes require a few days notice, e.g. Peking Duck is a minimum of 3 days.

There's lots more, but feel free to ask away about anything specifically.

Stewart

Thanks Stewart! 

I really hope it will be back to normal mostly and fingers crossed the cruise goes ahead. 

Myself and grandparents are Diamond members but this will be my partners first cruise. 

ohh how does the pecking order for the tables work? Tbh I’ll just be happy to dine in one of the grill restaurants. We’ve requested a table for 4 and linked the booking with my grandparents so I assume this will not be an issue, and if so I’m happy to go and sort it. 

Thanks for the tip, will get the two bottles ordered as soon as we get on there! My grandad and partner both drink beer so will get some extra cans. 

Does the grill lounge have a fully stocked bar? E.g do they do cocktails and draft beer/lager? and would you recommend going there instead of the commodore club for pre dinner canapés? 

if anyone has pictures of Q5 grade, the queens grill restaurant or the grill lounge on the QM2 please do share! 

7 minutes ago, aday10 said:

Thanks Stewart! 

I really hope it will be back to normal mostly and fingers crossed the cruise goes ahead. 

Myself and grandparents are Diamond members but this will be my partners first cruise. 

ohh how does the pecking order for the tables work? Tbh I’ll just be happy to dine in one of the grill restaurants. We’ve requested a table for 4 and linked the booking with my grandparents so I assume this will not be an issue, and if so I’m happy to go and sort it. 

Thanks for the tip, will get the two bottles ordered as soon as we get on there! My grandad and partner both drink beer so will get some extra cans. 

Does the grill lounge have a fully stocked bar? E.g do they do cocktails and draft beer/lager? and would you recommend going there instead of the commodore club for pre dinner canapés? 

if anyone has pictures of Q5 grade, the queens grill restaurant or the grill lounge on the QM2 please do share! 

The QG bar is a proper bar, and does cocktails. If it's light, the Commodore Club has a better view, but I don't think that will be an issue in January. No pianist in QG Lounge though.

The Grill's Lounge is a fully stocked bar, but I'm not so sure about draft beer. I know you can get that in the Golden Lion, but I don't think it's available in the Grill's Lounge.

To be honest I don't remember what champagne was offered as a welcome in a QG cabin. I'm pretty sure under that level is the dreaded Pol Aker, unless they've changed that up. I would hope you'd get better in QG.

17 minutes ago, Mudhen said:

The Grill's Lounge is a fully stocked bar, but I'm not so sure about draft beer. I know you can get that in the Golden Lion, but I don't think it's available in the Grill's Lounge.

To be honest I don't remember what champagne was offered as a welcome in a QG cabin. I'm pretty sure under that level is the dreaded Pol Aker, unless they've changed that up. I would hope you'd get better in QG.

Thank you, I’m assuming it isn’t Pol Acker as it states champagne for QG grades, and then sparkling wine for the others! 

18 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

Incidentally, there a thread above with thousands of photos of QM2. I'm sure you find it of interest.

I have looked at it thank you! The Restaurant looks lovely, the grills lounge looks very dark but assuming it will be welcoming on there! 

31 minutes ago, aday10 said:

Thank you, I’m assuming it isn’t Pol Acker as it states champagne for QG grades, and then sparkling wine for the others! 

I have looked at it thank you! The Restaurant looks lovely, the grills lounge looks very dark but assuming it will be welcoming on there! 

The champagne is proper champagne, but not something very well known. It won't be Bollinger. I agree the Grills Lounge is not the best of rooms, rather dark, because of the overhang, and a funny shape, but pleasant enough for a drink before lunch or afternoon tea.

10 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

The champagne is proper champagne, but not something very well known. It won't be Bollinger. I agree the Grills Lounge is not the best of rooms, rather dark, because of the overhang, and a funny shape, but pleasant enough for a drink before lunch or afternoon tea.

That’s good to know! 

ohh yes I forgot they do afternoon tea in the grills lounge! Would you say it’s better than the Queens room? 

1 hour ago, aday10 said:

Also, what champagne is in the room on arrival? 

For many years,  Veuve Clicquot was the welcome champagne but the last time, in '19, it was Laurent Perrier. We've also had Delamotte too which I think is part of the L-P group.

No idea which 'house' it is now but as non connoisseurs, we'll drink it anyway. 🙂

We were in a Q5 with a connecting door in 2017. I don't recall there being any issue with noise from the next cabin, so one would assume it was not significant. That, obviously, would vary according to who exactly is in the next cabin.

As far as esthetics (see photo), the presence of the door did not bother me nor did I think it interfered with the decor. However, we were in the Q5 due to a multi-tier upgrade (it does happen occasionally), so there probably couldn't have been much I would've complained about.

There are several images and videos of Q5 suites on-line. Just search for "Queen Mary 2 Q5 suite" and you should find many that will give you the information you want.

1459930508_QueenMary2Dec2017Q5Suite9023.thumb.JPG.6f7996a8c8afebfc84a6e916bf48e04d.JPG

29 minutes ago, Victoria2 said:

For many years,  Veuve Clicquot was the welcome champagne but the last time, in '19, it was Laurent Perrier. We've also had Delamotte too which I think is part of the L-P group.

No idea which 'house' it is now but as non connoisseurs, we'll drink it anyway. 🙂

Yes, we had Delamotte last time we were aboard in 2019, I now recall

33 minutes ago, Victoria2 said:

I’ll drink anything so I’m not fussed, just curious 😂

24 minutes ago, ExArkie said:

We were in a Q5 with a connecting door in 2017. I don't recall there being any issue with noise from the next cabin, so one would assume it was not significant. That, obviously, would vary according to who exactly is in the next cabin.

As far as esthetics (see photo), the presence of the door did not bother me nor did I think it interfered with the decor. However, we were in the Q5 due to a multi-tier upgrade (it does happen occasionally), so there probably couldn't have been much I would've complained about.

There are several images and videos of Q5 suites on-line. Just search for "Queen Mary 2 Q5 suite" and you should find many that will give you the information you want.

1459930508_QueenMary2Dec2017Q5Suite9023.thumb.JPG.6f7996a8c8afebfc84a6e916bf48e04d.JPG

Ohh wow, it does look lovely! 

I actually purposely wanted an adjoining room, as my grandparents will be in the other room! 

If I got an upgrade I’ll be over the moon, but just excited to be in a queens suite! 

I was also wondering if anyone has asked the steward/butler to open up the balcony if you know the people staying in the room next door? I know they can be opened but never asked as not ever managed to get rooms next door to travelling companions. 

51 minutes ago, aday10 said:

That’s good to know! 

ohh yes I forgot they do afternoon tea in the grills lounge! Would you say it’s better than the Queens room? 

The Grills afternoon tea is now in the Princess Grill dining room, isn’t it?

oops was thinking of QE and QV.

Edited by turnip eater

2 minutes ago, turnip eater said:

The Grills afternoon tea is now in the Princess Grill dining room, isn’t it?

Well, we don't know what will happen on the QM2, as she hasn't yet returned to service. Before Covid, it was in the Lounge, unlike on the Vistas.

2 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

Well, we don't know what will happen on the QM2, as she hasn't yet returned to service. Before Covid, it was in the Lounge, unlike on the Vistas.

No, neither will we not know either, seeing as our QM2 cruise was cancelled last week.

hmmmmm some day……….

Edited by turnip eater

43 minutes ago, turnip eater said:

No, neither will we not know either, seeing as our QM2 cruise was cancelled last week.

hmmmmm some day……….

Sadly mine was cancelled last week also, but I’ve found this one so fingers crossed it’s fourth time lucky since covid! 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ExArkie said:

As far as esthetics (see photo), the presence of the door did not bother me nor did I think it interfered with the decor.

We were in 9047 in December 2018 (TA westbound).  I'm not sure we even noticed the connecting door.  In any case, there was no noise whatsoever from the connecting cabin.  Beyond that, the cabin was absolutely lovely in every respect.  Mrs. N especially liked the little dressing table just inside the large walk-in closet.

We expected to appreciate being very close to an elevator bank, but soon realized that, in practice, you have to traverse the same length of corridor to get to any particular destination no matter whether the elevator is next to your cabin, next to the destination, or anywhere in between.  So that alleged "advantage" is illusory.

The big (and only) downside of traveling in QG is that it hooks you for life.  As the famous WWI-era song goes,  "How're you going to keep 'em down on the farm after they've seen Paree?"  This was our first time on QM2.  We'd booked PG.  When the PG price went substantially down, we decided to re-book the same cabin at the lower fare.  Cunard counter-offered to upgrade us to Q5 if we stuck with the superseded fare.  We took it in a heartbeat, and have never looked back.

Unfortunately our 2020 TA in QG was cancelled, and though we have high hopes for our October 2022 roundtrip TA in QG, we have low expectations that it will actually happen.