Everything.. Norwegian Viva/Prima class #2

FreestyleNovice

Although they are not part of the Leonardo project, we know that NCLH has ordered, in addition to the  6 ships for NCL, 2 ships for Oceania and 1 ship for Regent.  It looks like that Fincantieri no longer has supply chain issues.  For Oceania, as all the inaugural voyages of the new Vista were sold out, they added an extra 7 day cruise 1 week prior to the scheduled inaugural (May 2023).  So no delay for the ship.  As for The Regent new ship, Seven Seas Grandeur will sail out of the Fincantieri's Ancona shipyard in November 2023.  Initial information was for January 2024 sailing. 

And they just announced that the 2nd Oceania ship,  Oceania Allura, 

https://www.oceaniacruises.com/ships/allura

will sail in 2025.   So with the Viva, 5 of the 9 new ships have been announced

We should see an official announcement for the 3rd Leonardo ship within the next 2 to 3 months

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Steff79 said:

biggest question is if the third ship will be a plus ship or the same then 1 and 2.

sadly no news for viva, no official for beetljuice.

but for sure the longest race track ever 😀

Looks like they are progressing on casting, now looking for male ensemble dancers.

https://www.backstage.com/forums/callback-corner/beetlejuice-norwegian-cruise-15181

• Thanks 1

Additional to above -- interesting info from the original call notice from Pearson Casting.  I wonder if they have to pay room and board out of the $1100 per week.

Rehearsals begin on or about May 14, 2023

Board the Norwegian VIVA on or about August 4, 2023

End of contract TBD up to 6 months onboard

Itinerary: Mediterranean and Caribbean

ENSEMBLE: Starting at $1,100/week

Certain cast members will also participate in other entertainment onboard including, but not limited to, an additional cabaret performance, live event, and/or a nightclub experience for an additional salary incentive.

3 hours ago, Steff79 said:

biggest question is if the third ship will be a plus ship or the same then 1 and 2.

I believe the third ship is going to be a "Prima Plus Class" ship. 

• 1 month later...
On 2/12/2023 at 7:30 AM, Steff79 said:

Think there are other posts on this by now, but...  Maybe they had to tone down the racetrack to afford all the sets and special effects for Beetlejuice: The Musical.

Looking at the Viva for an early 2024 cruise, but noticed that she only has one itinerary heading to the ABC isles in December 2024, but then does it on repeat for her Caribbean itineraries throughout 2025.  Any speculation on why they wouldn't be doing the ABC itinerary with the Viva in 2024?   

We're considering the Pearl or Jade instead to get to some new ports, but would really love to get a chance to check out the Viva.

10 hours ago, Ixtoras said:

We're considering the Pearl or Jade instead to get to some new ports, but would really love to get a chance to check out the Viva.

There are other options on other cruise lines in order to get to the ABC's, such as September of 2024 on the Carnival Celebration for 8 days out of Miami with a pair of sea days front and back.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

They turned on the  AIS tracking again. There is a date and title now, don't know if that means anything.

Trying to remember when they started sea trials with the Prima, but still looking thru the other thread. 

124 days till the first cruise

Screenshot 2023-04-07 060845.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, JIMESOPUS said:

I am currently in Rome, cruising on the Oceania Riviera.  At a bar, I met a guy that is working for Fincantierie and he boarded my ship to do some work to prepare the introduction of the next Oceania Ship this fall.  He appeared to be quite aware of the schedule of the NCLH with Fincantierie

He said that the sea trials for the Viva are currently scheduled for the 2nd week of May.  But that is flexible.  It may happen 1 weak earlier or 1 or 2 weeks later but thus far, everything seems on schedule.

He also mentioned that several problems that have been identified during the sea trials of the Prima and since the introduction of the Prima have already been fixed on the Viva.  So he expects the sea trials to be a bit shorter this time.  But they have a big log of tests that have to be performed and all of them must be done.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, bluesea777 said:

Thank you for the updates @BenCoudon! Keep them coming!

are you going to be on the Lisbon-Miami TA Nov 16-27 2023? Prices have greatly dropped for that maiden TA!

Not sure I will see that guy again.  He was on the ship only for a few days.

For the Nov 16-27 TA,  I cancelled that cruise after my sailing on the Prima inaugural sailings last October.

I will see what changes they are making on Leonardo #3 before booking again this class of ship.

Edited by BenCoudon

8 minutes ago, BenCoudon said:

Not sure I will see that guy again.  He was on the ship only for a few days.

For the Nov 16-27 TA,  I cancelled that cruise after my sailing on the Prima inaugural sailings last October.

I will see what changes they are making on Leonardo #3 before booking again this class of ship.

Well, hope you’d reconsider - Viva’s TA will take her on the more southerly route and

we’re going to have many warm/hot days and Viva will be a perfect ship to try out!

We live in Bermuda and when we learnt Viva was doing Lisbon-New York via Funchal and Bermuda we jumped on it. But when its itinerary got changed to Lisbon to Miami we decided to stick with it as that southerly route is our preferred TA route. It will be our 7th TA. 

if you haven’t done so, check the prices!

Edited by bluesea777

3 hours ago, bluesea777 said:

Well, hope you’d reconsider - Viva’s TA will take her on the more southerly route and

we’re going to have many warm/hot days and Viva will be a perfect ship to try out!

th

We live in Bermuda and when we learnt Viva was doing Lisbon-New York via Funchal and Bermuda we jumped on it. But when its itinerary got changed to Lisbon to Miami we decided to stick with it as that southerly route is our preferred TA route. It will be our 7th TA. 

if you haven’t done so, check the prices!

I have already booked  Seattle to Miami, 21 days, starting October 28 in the Haven of the Encore.

I did 10 days in the Haven on the Prima and I didn't like it.  And Harry Sommer said that the Viva will be almost identical to the Prima.  So no thanks for me. We all have our own preferences and although they did a great job with the Cabins on the Prima class, I find there are so many design issues on this new class of ship.  Just one example:  the observation lounge is about 1/3 of the size of the Bliss or Encore.  This is because they allocated most of the space to the Galaxie Pavillon (more revenue).  On sea days, if you arrive there after 9:30 am, no seats available.  These ships are not for me.  Have a great cruise

Edited by BenCoudon
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, BenCoudon said:

I have already booked  Seattle to Miami, 21 days, starting October 28 in the Haven of the Encore.

I did 10 days in the Haven on the Prima and I didn't like it.  And Harry Sommer said that the Viva will be almost identical to the Prima.  So no thanks for me. We all have our own preferences and although they did a great job with the Cabins on the Prima class, I find there are so many design issues on this new class of ship.  Just one example:  the observation lounge is about 1/3 of the size of the Bliss or Encore.  This is because they allocated most of the space to the Galaxie Pavillon (more revenue).  On sea days, if you arrive there after 9:30 am, no seats available.  These ships are not for me.  Have a great cruise

Funny you say that.  I was watching a cruise channel that has cruised every line and every ship and they said Prima was the worst designed ship they have been on.  It prevented flow to just walk around since all the space is outside.  Very choppy and hard to navigate.  However, they had a fantastic time on the ship.  They are active people and love go carts but even commented that a 3 deck race track is just way too much space to give a go cart track.  

• 2 weeks later...
12 hours ago, bianks said:

how is the NCL VIVA going? 
I'm getting nervous I saw something about some production delays? 
We are booked for the end of August. 

What is the date of items you found relating to delays?

If you do a web search, you'll see a lot of items that refer to delays for the Viva, and they are pretty much all from summer 2022, when most of the summer 2023 cruises were cancelled.  They've since added back three cruises earlier in August, and it looks like things are good for their "new" delivery date.

Edited by SpacemanSpiff

As I was away for the last month, I am not sure if anyone saw this information.  It was included in the press release that covered the 2022 NCLH financial satement

"The Company has modified certain existing newbuild contracts which has resulted in an increase in ship contract costs of approximately €1.2 billion. These changes include the previously communicated modification and enlargement of the last four Prima Class vessels as well as additional modifications to the final two ships in this class to accommodate the use of green methanol as an alternative fuel source in the future. Compared to the first-generation Prima Class vessels, these changes will result in an approximately 10% increase in gross tonnage for the third and fourth ships and an approximately 20% increase in gross tonnage for the fifth and sixth ships. As a result, delivery dates for these ships have shifted and the Company now expects one next generation Prima Class ship to be delivered each year from 2025 through 2028. "

So the 3rd ship will not be delivered until 2025.  No new ship in 2024

Edited by BenCoudon
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, bianks said:

how is the NCL VIVA going? 
I'm getting nervous I saw something about some production delays? 
We are booked for the end of August. 

I don't think you need to worry.

You may want to read the latest press release concerning the Viva dated March 23, 2023 (few weeks ago)

https://www.nclhltd.com/news-media/press-releases/detail/537/norwegian-cruise-line-announces-tony-award-nominated

The press release states:  Debuting in August 2023, Norwegian Viva will sail a selection of bucket-list worthy Greek Isles and Mediterranean voyages through November, before homeporting in San Juan, Puerto Rico in December for a season of Caribbean itineraries.

Edited by BenCoudon
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

The Cunard Queen Anne got floated today. Will be need a little time since she will be out. But they are still working. 

i’m these days at the seashore. Like a step sister of the prima class. I like that msc ship class.  Ja posted some pics at the MSc board here at cc. 

Edited by Steff79