Just Disembarked MSC Virtuosa...Not A Good Experience!

desire882x

8 hours ago, Gatordad1967 said:

I blame all the rude passengers on MSC.  They didn't give anyone a psychological profile prior to booking.

So, are you suggesting that prospective guests have to go through a psychological screening before one books a cruise?  

I hope your post is a "tongue in cheek" one.  

I’m on now and have been in YC since 9/14 (Southampton). Of course we recognize that we’re spoiled here, but we’ve had a WONDERFUL time. Service has been excellent here. Food is generally very good. Outside of YC, I do see that it is busy on the pool deck and in the Marketplace Buffet. The only queuing we witnessed was for mandatory mid trip Covid testing and a little queuing for excursions. The vast majority are taking masking seriously and staff are quick to enforce it. We have met a handful of grumpy passengers from outside YC. Complaints were lack of excursions (they sell out quickly) and unexpected room changes. All in all, we are very pleased that we jumped through the Covid testing hoops and made the trip. Sad to be leaving in a few days. 

Edited by cygnusx1
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, alyssamma said:

The YC is a high end product on a budget line, but even that isn't luxury.

It was "luxury" for me.  What I experienced exceeded my previous such type experience as a Neptune Suite guest on Westerdam.  

Realizing that there is another "tier" of cruising, I have decided to shop Silverseas and Seabourn.  

But, YC will remain in the "running" for another booking because I was so pleased with the product that I experienced.  

Edited by rkacruiser
  • Like 5

3 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

It was "luxury" for me.  What I experienced exceeded my previous such type experience as a Neptune Suite guest on Westerdam.  

Realizing that there is another "tier" of cruising, I have decided to shop Silverseas and Seabourn.  

But, YC will remain in the "running" for another booking because I was so pleased with the product that I experienced.  

LOL, it's "luxury" for me too as that is the highest I've ever sailed in. But I understand lines like Viking Ocean, Azamara, Seabourn, etc. are the true luxury lines. And my point was I think most people here understand that.

Honestly, I'm not sure I would even like those other lines...YC is perfect for what I want/need.

• Like 1

Just now, alyssamma said:

Honestly, I'm not sure I would even like those other lines...YC is perfect for what I want/need.

That is what concerns me as well.  YC was a good "fit".  (Better than I expected, in fact.)  I have learned much from accessing the Message Boards for Seabourn and Silverseas as well as the companies web sites.  I think I would find their products a good "fit" as well.  Viking Ocean:  lots of mail and e-mail from them; knowing there background, probably would be quite pleased with them.  (The gentleman in charge of the company was once one of the founders of Royal Viking Cruises and those two cruises of mine were the "Cadillac of cruise lines at that time".)  No interest in Azamara whatsoever with vessels that were once part of the R ships of Renaissance Cruises.  (I have friends who sailed on one of those.  They found their cruise on the old Chandris Line's Britanis to be a be better ship on which to sail than those old R Class ships of Azamara.)    

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

That is what concerns me as well.  YC was a good "fit".  (Better than I expected, in fact.)  I have learned much from accessing the Message Boards for Seabourn and Silverseas as well as the companies web sites.  I think I would find their products a good "fit" as well.  Viking Ocean:  lots of mail and e-mail from them; knowing there background, probably would be quite pleased with them.  (The gentleman in charge of the company was once one of the founders of Royal Viking Cruises and those two cruises of mine were the "Cadillac of cruise lines at that time".)  No interest in Azamara whatsoever with vessels that were once part of the R ships of Renaissance Cruises.  (I have friends who sailed on one of those.  They found their cruise on the old Chandris Line's Britanis to be a be better ship on which to sail than those old R Class ships of Azamara.)    

Big difference in price between MSC YC and the other lines 🙂

• Like 2

1 minute ago, alyssamma said:

Big difference in price between MSC YC and the other lines 🙂

I have noticed that!  One will never know if it's worth it until one tries it.  What I paid for YC was well out of my usual cruise budget range.  And, it was worth it!

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

I have noticed that!  One will never know if it's worth it until one tries it.  What I paid for YC was well out of my usual cruise budget range.  And, it was worth it!

This is very true. The problem, however, is that if it *is* worth it, it's hard to go back 🙂 So now you are stuck paying those high prices 🙂

10 hours ago, alyssamma said:

LOL, it's "luxury" for me too as that is the highest I've ever sailed in. But I understand lines like Viking Ocean, Azamara, Seabourn, etc. are the true luxury lines. And my point was I think most people here understand that.

I would agree Yacht Club is not comparable with the top end luxury lines. We have sailed once at what is probably the low to middle luxury level on Crystal, and would say YC exceeds their level of luxury.

We have sailed Azamara, which is definitely not a luxury line....rather Premium we would say....and YC is definitely a level above Az,

• Like 1

4 hours ago, hamrag said:

I would agree Yacht Club is not comparable with the top end luxury lines. We have sailed once at what is probably the low to middle luxury level on Crystal, and would say YC exceeds their level of luxury.

We have sailed Azamara, which is definitely not a luxury line....rather Premium we would say....and YC is definitely a level above Az,

That's an interesting perspective. I've never sailed those lines, but good to hear at least one person thinks the YC is as good if not better than the higher end lines.

I'm very happy with YC and plan to stick with it 🙂

I do think at times people pay more for the "name" of the line.

That being said, I am guessing in the "before you get on the ship" stuff (i.e., customer service), those lines are better than MSC 🙂

Edited by alyssamma

7 hours ago, alyssamma said:

That being said, I am guessing in the "before you get on the ship" stuff (i.e., customer service), those lines are better than MSC 🙂

What you are referring to also depends on the type of cruise as well in my experience.  The amount of "before you get on the ship stuff" and information prior to my Grand World Cruise on the Amsterdam was surprising to me.  Early "welcome aboard" types of gifts as well as more detailed information than I have ever received for any cruise.

21 hours ago, alyssamma said:

This is very true. The problem, however, is that if it *is* worth it, it's hard to go back 🙂 So now you are stuck paying those high prices 🙂

I seem to be a flexible cruiser as to what level of "luxury" I desire for a specific cruise.  I can book a standard outside, a partially obstructed outside, a standard veranda,  a small suite, and a full suite and have always been pleased with whatever accommodation I have booked.  Years ago, I booked the next to bottom category of for an inside cabin on a NCL ship and that was OK for a 4 day cruise.  

I think the key is knowing what one is buying and deciding whether that will satisfy you or not.  

If, and when, I have sailed on a Seabourn/Silverseas/Grill accommodations on a Cunard vessel, my thinking may change.  But, at this point in time, I don't think it would.  

One needs to remember that my "Butler" is me.  It will be before a luxury cruise and it will be after a luxury cruise.  But, I know that I will enjoy the services of a "Butler", et al when such a service is available.  

Edited by rkacruiser

3 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

What you are referring to also depends on the type of cruise as well in my experience.  The amount of "before you get on the ship stuff" and information prior to my Grand World Cruise on the Amsterdam was surprising to me.  Early "welcome aboard" types of gifts as well as more detailed information than I have ever received for any cruise.

I seem to be a flexible cruiser as to what level of "luxury" I desire for a specific cruise.  I can book a standard outside, a partially obstructed outside, a standard veranda,  a small suite, and a full suite and have always been pleased with whatever accommodation I have booked.  Years ago, I booked the next to bottom category of for an inside cabin on a NCL ship and that was OK for a 4 day cruise.  

I think the key is knowing what one is buying and deciding whether that will satisfy you or not.  

If, and when, I have sailed on a Seabourn/Silverseas/Grill accommodations on a Cunard vessel, my thinking may change.  But, at this point in time, I don't think it would.  

We are way off topic here, but...

How long was the world cruise? Have you done multiples of them?

And good for you not getting caught up in the "luxury"...personally I find it very hard to go backwards. As an example, I have a Poesia cruise coming up and that is fine to sail non-YC because there is no YC. But I could never sail on a ship with YC because I'd be miserable. I would constantly be thinking of all the people enjoying the YC who aren't me 🙂

Where it gets really bad is airfare. I pretty much can't fly economy if the flight is longer than 90min or so. That gets expensive...

On 9/11/2021 at 3:55 PM, desire882x said:

Hi Folks,

I've just got back from a 7 night cruise on MSC Virtuosa and wanted to share my experience. I've been on 4 cruises (a mixture of Royal Caribbean (Symphony of the seas etc. and Virgin Voyages) and I'm in my 30's.  I want to share my experience as I noticed there are very few reviews of this ship.  I've written some quick bullet points of my overall experience, I'll write a few review and post it on the review section of this website.

I was on the 4th Sept - 11th Sept Cruise around the UK (Portland / Liverpool / Greenock / Southampton). I will be comparing my experience with Virgin Voyages as I was on Scarlet Lady a few weeks ago.

Initial Embarkation Procedure

I arrived at Southampton at my allocated time, I was met with long queues all the way around the building with limited social distancing and hardly any people wearing masks. After around an 1hr 15 mins my temperature was taken and I was let inside the terminal. After another 30 minutes we were asked to show our cruise ticket...we then queued again and another desk asked to show our proof of vaccine. We then joined another queue to have our tests, after this we were then told to go to the security check. At this point we were asked to show our passports, we were then were advised to go upstairs and queue at another desk and were asked to show all our documents (Insurance / Proof of Vaccine / Passport / Boarding Pass etc.) At this point we were given a 'Watch' which we were told was for contact tracing. We then waited for our results and finally could board. Total time was just under 3 hours.

I felt the process was quite complex compared to Virgin in terms of showing different documentation at each desk. With Virgin I found the process much more simpler.

1) Stage 1 Show Tickets / Proof of Vaccine and Passports

2) Stage 2 take Covid Test

3) Stage 3 - Get Results

4) Stage 4 - Show Boarding Pass and get on board.

Positives

Room was a good size and house keeping did a good job tidying up

The Main Dinning Room is impressive and the service is great here

Food was very average in the buffet but did the job...

Shows were pretty okay

F1 Simulator was good

Negatives

Serious Lack of Staff in all areas

Staff are really worn out and unhappy (Spoke to 5 members of staff who openly told me they can't wait to get off the ship)

Ship is running a 'skeleton service' buffet restaurant was only ever 50% open at lunch time, there are only two places to go for breakfast with the one restaurant

closing at 9:30am!

Massive Massive Massive Queues for Breakfast (on some days) often wait times of 40 minutes+ to get it

Really BAD Processes in place...e.g some stuff you can only book in person such as tickets for shows / restaurants and F1 Simulator / Golf ETC, some stuff you book on your TV/ Phone app ..so it can be confusing having pieces of paper with Spa Bookings and Restaurant Reservations as a lot of stuff does not sync with the App!

A lot of processes don't make sense for example to make reservations for the restaurants you have to go to the Bar?

We had numerous issues such as the sensor / lock on our door not working, we queued a total of 8 hours over 2/3 days just to resolve this simple issue. 

House keeping staff unfriendly for example we needed more toilet paper was told we had to request this via guest services as apparently house keeping staff are not allowed to give toilet paper to guests directly....

Lots and lots of noise at night...we were in a balcony cabin on the 13th floor and every night there were lots of banging which we believe was from the staff as it happened every night at 11:45pm - 3:30am. I am guessing this was the staff performing some sort of maintenance?

Lack of Drinks on board - Despite having the drinks package, a lot of drinks were unavailable for example there were no fruit juices. After 24 hours on board some restaurants had ran out of Coca Cola Cans and resorted to providing a 'water downed version' of diet coke to guests.

Food not labelled on board in terms of allergens or diet (Vegan etc.) Staff unsure of what was in food.

A lot of machines in the Arcade are not working and the guy who runs this is the most rude unfriendly person you could meet in your life! I lost around 16 credits on broken machines and was told by the guy 'not my problem speak to guest services'.

Way too many people on board I felt like the ship was 85% capacity I was told it was around 60%+

I felt the slot machines were set to a real 'low win rate' could just be my experience but I didn't win anything...

There were confirmed covid cases on board, a lot of people were not wearing masks and no one was enforcing this. After covid began spreading on board more announcements were played on the ships speaker to social distance etc. 

Music Lounge / Piano Player - opposite guest services so its very hard to even speak to guest services when you have music blaring in the background!!

Queues to get drinks....why not have soft drinks such as water etc in a vending machine to allow guests to get drinks themselves ?

Confusing Processes- Guests are allowed to get cold drinks in the buffet but are not allowed to get hot drinks...?

Arcade - Very very old games stuff that you would expect to find a carboot sale!

Confusing Advice - Guest Services saying don't use your watch for any payments its only for contact tracing and all restaurants asking to you to show your watch to order drinks....

Strange Disembarkation Process - Guests are removed from their rooms at 8am, and again ques to disembark.

Conclusion

A very very different experience compared to my cruise with Virgin Voyages in Covid Times...

I had multiple issues on board mainly not being able to get into my room, which resulted in my card being reprogrammed which resulted in my fun pass not working, the wifi not working and generally not being able to use my card with anything.

I spent in total 14 hours of my holiday at guest services...when I asked to speak to a supervisor I was told I would have to wait in my room most of the day for them to ring. Apparently the supervisors don't see anyone face to face!

When I did speak to a supervisor they just said 'sorry we can't do anything complain to MSC when you get back on land' they would not give any compensation, no restaurant vouchers, no spa vouchers, nothing.

Overall this is a cruise I would not recommend you go on...even when more staff are made available the processes on board are just confusing and don't make sense! For a brand new ship the processes are outdated....

P.S - I can confirm the stories posted online regarding this cruise are true with the high number of covid cases being present on board. MSC should of really not allowed more passengers to board at Liverpool and Greenock the ship needs a full decontamination. This morning I saw another several hundred guests queuing to get on board....

I was on the same cruise. Your post is accurate.

Couple of things maybe you didnt notice....Tannoy "Would Mr and Mrs Xxxxx call extension 99 from their cabin".....positive covid test, to me met by men in hazmats at their room. Also, did you notice the cruise director disappeared halfway through.....my guess was he also got covid and was isolating.

23 hours ago, alyssamma said:

How long was the world cruise? Have you done multiples of them?

My complete world cruise was 113 days:  Fort Lauderdale to Fort Lauderdale.

The year previously, I sailed the last 17 day segment of the Amsterdam's world cruise.  I did so, in part, to "test the waters" to try to determine what differences I might notice between a world cruise and one that is not.  

I have not sailed on any other world cruises or segments of them.  

I have sailed on more long cruises that are either re-positioning cruises or a unique long cruise itinerary.  

23 hours ago, alyssamma said:

Where it gets really bad is airfare. I pretty much can't fly economy if the flight is longer than 90min or so. That gets expensive...

Airfare is an issue to be sure.  Like you, I am OK with short flights in Economy.  I am no longer going to tolerate longer flights if I cannot book First Class (domestic) or Business Class (internationally).  At this stage of my life, it's one of those "been there, done that" situations.  If I don't need to do it now, I won't.  As to the expense, if I don't want to pay the tariff, I won't go.  Or, as I have been able to do pre-Covid, I have found a way to get a more reasonable fare.  

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

My complete world cruise was 113 days:  Fort Lauderdale to Fort Lauderdale.

The year previously, I sailed the last 17 day segment of the Amsterdam's world cruise.  I did so, in part, to "test the waters" to try to determine what differences I might notice between a world cruise and one that is not.  

I have not sailed on any other world cruises or segments of them.  

I have sailed on more long cruises that are either re-positioning cruises or a unique long cruise itinerary.  

Airfare is an issue to be sure.  Like you, I am OK with short flights in Economy.  I am no longer going to tolerate longer flights if I cannot book First Class (domestic) or Business Class (internationally).  At this stage of my life, it's one of those "been there, done that" situations.  If I don't need to do it now, I won't.  As to the expense, if I don't want to pay the tariff, I won't go.  Or, as I have been able to do pre-Covid, I have found a way to get a more reasonable fare.  

Wow...that's great about the world cruise.

I'm slowly working my way up...I have a 30 day scheduled July 2022 and another 30 day March of 2023. If those go well, then...