Upgrade offers

robandlil

depending on what cabin upgrade you put in a bid for, chances are minimal (just like your bid) that it will accepted.

that being said, however, goof luck, and i hope you get the upgrade

there is an old saying however, be careful what you wish for, you just might get it.

It depends on may factors, including how close to fully booked the ship is.  Most NCL cruises are running at about 60% capacity right now, so that improves your odds.  Itinerary is also a big factor.  Cruises with lots of sea days attract more interest in Haven Suites and Spa staterooms.  On a Trans-Atlantic cruise you likely would need to bid near the maximum to win a bid for the Haven.  On other cruises, though, a relatively low bid for Balcony upgrade from an Inside might win.

1 hour ago, robandlil said:

Just put in my upgrade offers.  I’ve never done this before.  What are the chances?  I only bid minimums because I’m not really unhappy with what I booked.

Keep in mind that you don't get to choose your cabin assignment if you win an upgrade bid.  You have to take whichever room they give you that falls within the category for which you bid.  Also, although you can modify or cancel your bid anytime after you make it up until NCL decides to accept or reject it (usually about two days before sailing), once they award you an upgrade there's no turning back.  You must accept the room they assign.  You can't say "No thanks, I'll just keep my original room."  By that time, your original room probably already will have been assigned to someone else, likely to someone who bid for an upgrade to your previous level of stateroom.

2 hours ago, robandlil said:

Just put in my upgrade offers.  I’ve never done this before.  What are the chances?  I only bid minimums because I’m not really unhappy with what I booked.

Just an aside, and obviously feel free to ignore this, but if you are not unhappy with what you booked then is it worth even bidding at all?

Don't get drawn into spending money that you don't need to spend.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Traveling Man said:

Keep in mind that you don't get to choose your cabin assignment if you win an upgrade bid.  You have to take whichever room they give you that falls within the category for which you bid.  Also, although you can modify or cancel your bid anytime after you make it up until NCL decides to accept or reject it (usually about two days before sailing), once they award you an upgrade there's no turning back.  You must accept the room they assign.  You can't say "No thanks, I'll just keep my original room."  By that time, your original room probably already will have been assigned to someone else, likely to someone who bid for an upgrade to your previous level of stateroom.

Good point, although like the OP, we put in the minimum bid possible, and are happy with our current selection. We bid on about 4 different categories, but based on NCL's availability right now, I can narrow down our options to about 4 cabins. We'd be fine with being assigned a cabin, since I pretty much know which ones they'd be. 😁 (we only bid on forward and aft penthouse suites, and most of them have already been snapped up)

1 hour ago, complawyer said:

hey, dcguy64. just out of curiosity, what are you gonna do if all 4 bids are accepted?

From what I recall, the system will not allow you to upgrade more than once, so if they're all accepted, I guess we'll take the category we liked the best. But with only 5 days to go, I doubt we'll be getting upgraded. We literally bid the lowest amount ($400) which shows "Poor" on their little results-meter in terms of the likelihood of getting it.

10 minutes ago, OrcaGirl said:

NCL's upgrade system will only ever accept one upgrade bid per cabin; the others are automatically cancelled. You wouldn't get a choice of which one of your bids gets accepted; it's entirely up to them.

Thank you, that's sort of what I remember from reading the fine print in the offer, thanks for refreshing my memory!

23 hours ago, complawyer said:

hey, dcguy64. just out of curiosity, what are you gonna do if all 4 bids are accepted?

If you put in multiple bids, NCL will automatically cancel the others once it awards you one of the upgrade offers.  There really is no way of knowing which one they will accept and which ones they cancel.  If there are several for which you are the high bidder, NCL will choose which one to award you.  You do not get to pick your favorite. The best approach would be to bid near the maximum for your first choice and less for any others.  You still may end up with one of your "take it or leave it" bids.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Wink87 said:

So if I go from a balcony, bid on and get a haven suite, I DON'T get the Haven perks????

You don't receive the extra Latitudes points.  Before the pandemic shutdown, NCL usually offered one Free at Sea perk to Inside or Ocean View rooms, two to Balconies, and all four (or five) to Suites and Haven rooms.  If you upgraded back then, you kept whatever perks you had, but didn't receive the extras.  Now that every room (except Sail Away) gets all the perks, it really doesn't make much difference when you upgrade.  If your upgrade takes you into the Haven, you do get butler and concierge service, as well as access to all Haven facilities, including the restaurant and bar, so both now and previously you do get the full benefit of the upgrade in that regard.  What it boils down to then, under the current protocol with all the Free at Sea perks going out to just about everybody, the only thing you really miss out on with an upgrade is the extra Latitude points.

22 hours ago, Sashathailand said:

New to upgrading. If your upgrade bid is accepted do you get all the benefits that come with the upgraded cabin? For example, Thermal suite passes with a spa cabin upgrade. 

AFAIK, you get the benefits that are integral to that cabin (ie Butler if you're in the haven, etc...) but not any benefits that you get just from the booking (ie bonus points, more FAS perks, etc...)

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, The Traveling Man said:

You don't receive the extra Latitudes points.  Before the pandemic shutdown, NCL usually offered one Free at Sea perk to Inside or Ocean View rooms, two to Balconies, and all four (or five) to Suites and Haven rooms.  If you upgraded back then, you kept whatever perks you had, but didn't receive the extras.  Now that every room (except Sail Away) gets all the perks, it really doesn't make much difference when you upgrade.  If your upgrade takes you into the Haven, you do get butler and concierge service, as well as access to all Haven facilities, including the restaurant and bar, so both now and previously you do get the full benefit of the upgrade in that regard.  What it boils down to then, under the current protocol with all the Free at Sea perks going out to just about everybody, the only thing you really miss out on with an upgrade is the extra Latitude points.

Ty for this info!

8 hours ago, The Traveling Man said:

Unfortunately, no.  You keep the perks you had with your original room.

This is untrue. If you upgrade to Haven, you get full Haven benefits. If you upgrade to Spa Balcony, you get full access to the thermal spa, in-room amenities, etc. 

With older NCL promotions where you had "Pick 1 Free At Sea benefit, pick 2 for balcony, get all 4 with a suite" you would not get those extra benefits with the upgrade. But that hasn't been relevant for a while. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, AndyCapn said:

This is untrue. If you upgrade to Haven, you get full Haven benefits. If you upgrade to Spa Balcony, you get full access to the thermal spa, in-room amenities, etc. 

With older NCL promotions where you had "Pick 1 Free At Sea benefit, pick 2 for balcony, get all 4 with a suite" you would not get those extra benefits with the upgrade. But that hasn't been relevant for a while. 

You are correct.  I did not express it very clearly in my first response to this question, so I tried to clarify in a subsequent post.  While you do get the benefits attributable to being in the Haven, such as access to the Haven restaurant, the services of a butler, etc., you do not receive any additional perks such as the Free at Sea benefits.  And yes, it is true that NCL has promoted an "all for one and one for all" approach to FAS benefits during the year-and-a-half that they haven't been sailing, they could go back to the old "one if by land and two if by sea" approach at any time in the future.  If and when they do, then the gist of my response would hold, that if, for example, you received two FAS choices with a Balcony, then won an upgrade bid to a Haven, you would not receive the additional FAS choices that those who paid full price for their Haven room would receive.  Pah-tay-tah, Poh-Tah-Toe.

• Like 1