Flying home from Rome

Travels with Lisa

The port is about 40 - 45 minutes from  Fiumicino. As you would imagine the first part of the trip is through Civitavecchia and on city streets. Your driver will eventually make it to the strata.

Pre Covid you could exit the port and be on your merry way. I do not know if that has changed.

Fiumicino is a very hectic airport with some very long walks depending on your airline. Signage can also be confusing and gate changes are not uncommon either especially if you are catching a domestic or EU flight. It is also not uncommon to have a security check along the corridor(s) to your departure gate.

Check-in used to open about three hours before departure. Once again I'd cushion that because of Covid testing.

Since you didn't provide either your airline or destination - domestic, EU or international I am going to suggest a flight around noon.  I am also presuming this will be your first departure from this airport.

We are due to fly from Rome next year in April. We have booked a flight at 12:55 from Fiumicino but to be honest not sure if that will be too early. I booked using airmiles so I can change it quite easily. It might be that we even overnight in Rome to save on the airport stress.

• Like 1

In the documents which were made available online this morning, it states that the transfer to/from Fiumicino takes 75 minutes which I assume is their coach transfer. A taxi/limo would be quicker but I always understood it to take closer to an hour rather than 40/45 minutes.

• Like 1

I just flew back from Rome this morning. The cruise port is about a 40 minute drive, but I’d allow at least an hour in case there’s traffic.

The process at Rome airport takes a bit longer now, if you’re flying to the US. They check your boarding pass outside before you can enter the terminal. Once inside, there is a long line for them to check your passport and vaccine card. Once you get through security you, of course, have you to go through passport check and then (oftentimes) a train ride to the US departure gates. I wouldn’t book any flights until afternoon time. It’s well-organized, but just busy.

• Like 1

I made an 11am flight with plenty of time, disembarking around 7.30. Had a shared transfer waiting right outside the terminal (which was basically a luggage hut) - not all companies can get that close, so check before you book.

Anything after noon should be fine if your ship isn't late docking. If it is, then you might have an issue. 

3 hours ago, Cruizer Bill said:

Our flight on October 28th leaves at 11:55 AM.  We will be sweating it out!!!  Not much choice unless we wait until the next morning and spend the night at FCO.  We did that in 2018.  

In the current climate, tetchy port authorities and very slow airline checkin processes lots of delays at passport etc I would spend an extra night or have a later flight. Why ruin the end of an expensive trip with sweating things out?  Even if you make it, it will have impacted on your blood pressure 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, uktog said:

In the current climate, tetchy port authorities and very slow airline checkin processes lots of delays at passport etc I would spend an extra night or have a later flight. Why ruin the end of an expensive trip with sweating things out?  Even if you make it, it will have impacted on your blood pressure 

I agree.  There are some very inexpensive options close to Fiumicino airport even.  If I was flying long haul that is what I'd do if I could.

Phil

• Like 1