An FYI - Antigen 48hr scheduling issues

bandp407

Fellow cruisers ` 

We maybe sailing on the September 25th sailing & tried to book an appointment for our Rapid Antigen test for next Thursday.. We live in Florida & tried numerous CVS locations. Not one appointment at all!! Then tried Walgreens & the closest location was in Kentucky!! A sports complex  offering them , did not have dates posted yet for next Thursday & Friday. The other issue with them if it rains , like today, they close!! Well this now became a major concern. 

Followed the link on the Celebrity website & purchased the Abbott Binax NOW COVID 19 Antigen card home test. It was $69.99 For a 2 pack. Received an email this morning that it shipped via FedEX & we should have it tomorrow. I guess a small price for piece of mind!! I will try to submit to Medicare , but didn’t see any other option. By the way the expiration is Dec 31, 2021.

Just wanted to share as I am sure many are facing similar testing difficulties to meet the 48hr requirement.

Now all we need are the storms to cooperate & stay faraway!

• Like 1

I hope the different cruise lines will come up with a solution for their customers (passengers). This is becoming a logistical nightmare for this boondoggle. Most of us are completely in agreement with a test, but since many of do arrive in part city prior to sailing. Just telling us to learn to swim by throwing us in the deep end does not work.

We need a better way to find the tests, in the port city, to get the accepted test. If I had a list, I could find my way there, uber, lyft, shuttle, etc. Continue to share options and locations. We can help each other through this. Viva la Crusing

Edited by lka1012
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, lka1012 said:

I hope the different cruise lines will come up with a solution for their customers (passengers). This is becoming a logistical nightmare for this boondoggle. Most of us are completely in agreement with a test, but since many of do arrive in part city prior to sailing. Just telling us to learn to swim by throwing us in the deep end does not work.

We need a better way to find the tests, in the port city, to get the accepted test. If I had a list, I could find my way there, uber, lyft, shuttle, etc. Continue to share options and locations. We can help each other through this. Viva la Crusing

The latest - as promised, we received our tests yesterday. They take a lot of " stress" out of the excitement of cruising.!

25 minutes ago, lka1012 said:

So do you do your test after you arrive in Port city?

You have to do it within 48hrs of sailing. It’s an app that you download & follow the instructions. Don’t really know more than that as we have not done it yet.

16 hours ago, lka1012 said:

The cruise lines are not responsible for this. It is the CDC. The cruise lines have no need for the logistical nightmare of testing. They contemplated it and nixed the idea in less than a week. Resources and logistics would be insane to manage. This way they get to play the hero. Leaving it to the responsibility of the passengers. Without results, it is your fault not the cruise lines. 

Carnival was accepting the BinaxNow proctored test prior to even announcing it. The problem now is people confusing the proctored test with a 2 for $24 tests at CVS and WallyWorld. People that do not pay precise attention are going to be in for a massive mad scramble at 11AM at the port. We bought the 6-pack. That will give us each an extra test in case of an "Invalid" result. It will also give an extra test in case of a false positive. As a fall back plan, we will have rapid testing scheduled locally and pay for it as necessary.

• Like 1

Hello, we have 6 of us flying in to Tampa in January from the UK for a Celebrity cruise. We’ll have tests before the flight out but they will be more than 72 hours prior to the cruise so we’ll require further Covid tests in Tampa prior to the cruise. We will only have the day before the cruise to get these done and it looks like there are queries about where we can get tests in Tampa. Any pointers would be great.

In the UK Celebrity pay for PCR tests for all passengers and have fall back testing at the port for those who don’t receive their results in time, do you know if they have the same fall back provision in Tampa?

4 hours ago, Rustyman said:

Hello, we have 6 of us flying in to Tampa in January from the UK for a Celebrity cruise. We’ll have tests before the flight out but they will be more than 72 hours prior to the cruise so we’ll require further Covid tests in Tampa prior to the cruise. We will only have the day before the cruise to get these done and it looks like there are queries about where we can get tests in Tampa. Any pointers would be great.

In the UK Celebrity pay for PCR tests for all passengers and have fall back testing at the port for those who don’t receive their results in time, do you know if they have the same fall back provision in Tampa?

Rustyman- you are a long way off & Celebrity protocols may change  as well as testing locations. Keep in mind what exists today may not be a testing location in January. However good to research ahead. I believe the Tampa airport area is part of Hillsboro county.. Search the county where you overnight and search that area for COVID 19 Antigen tests. You may also want to consider purchasing the Abbott Binax Now test . Check EMed .com However the ones they are selling now expire end of Dec. This will be a work in progress for you I am afraid. We live further south in a different county & just did our Antigen tests this morning for a Saturday Celebrity sailing. It was at a sports complex which has been opened & at times closed. No appointments at all at CVS or Walgreens!!! Good Luck - it will be worth the effort!

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/21/2021 at 8:48 AM, Elkins45 said:

I would absolutely do the test before I left home. If you wait until after you've flown into the port city then you've blown any chance of getting flight credit should you test positive and be denied boarding.

For some of us that is not an option.  We are flying in two days before, leaving early in the morning.  Maybe we can get up at 3 in the morning and try to test, but that is pretty unrealistic.  This two day window is ridiculous.  I understand the idea of testing, but where is the science that shows us that testing 2 days prior is any better than 3 days prior - especially since after you test (if you do it at home) most of us take some type of transportation to the airport, board a plane, take an Uber or taxi, stay at a hotel, go to a restaurant, etc. etc.  

• Like 1

On 10/8/2021 at 5:18 PM, phoenix_dream said:

For some of us that is not an option.  We are flying in two days before, leaving early in the morning.  Maybe we can get up at 3 in the morning and try to test, but that is pretty unrealistic.  This two day window is ridiculous.  I understand the idea of testing, but where is the science that shows us that testing 2 days prior is any better than 3 days prior - especially since after you test (if you do it at home) most of us take some type of transportation to the airport, board a plane, take an Uber or taxi, stay at a hotel, go to a restaurant, etc. etc.  

I agree with you. The 2 day window is the stressor. I get the testing and what not, but a LOT of places that do the PCR testing do not promise or guarantee anything less than 48 hours for turn around. And yes some of them do turn them around faster than that, but they won’t guarantee it.

I’ll be buying the Britax ones, it seems like the safest route. 

Not going to lie, this 48 hour is stressing me out!  The at home is a wonderful option but not available to unvaccinated kids and it's expensive.  The Walgreens/CVS is wonderful and free but can't guarantee results sooner than 3-7 days and I need them sooner than that!  STRESSED!

• Like 1

On 10/8/2021 at 6:18 PM, phoenix_dream said:

EXACTLY