White Pass Railway excursion offered thru HAL question

GrandmaOhio

My husband and I would like to do one of the many White Pass Railway excursions offered thru HAL.  We’re wondering if it is worth the extra money to do the tour that includes Bennett Lake?  Has anyone done any of the WPR tours willing to offer their opinions?  Thanks in advance!

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, GrandmaOhio said:

My husband and I would like to do one of the many White Pass Railway excursions offered thru HAL.  We’re wondering if it is worth the extra money to do the tour that includes Bennett Lake?  Has anyone done any of the WPR tours willing to offer their opinions?  Thanks in advance!

I did the Lake Bennett trip in 2014. It is an all day trip. At that time, it included a lunch stop at the lake. The train continued to Carcross and return was by bus. It was a great day.

• Like 1

Just now, 1ANGELCAT said:

I did the Lake Bennett trip in 2014. It is an all day trip. At that time, it included a lunch stop at the lake. The train continued to Carcross and return was by bus. It was a great day.

I agree with the previous poster.  I did this tour in July, 2019 as a guest on the Westerdam.  It was a very good tour.  At Carcross, we were served a very nice lunch and an opportunity to visit an interesting museum that included some RCMP history for the region.  

Third the recommendation of this tour. We thoroughly enjoyed our day in 2017 and  Lake Bennett is extremely beautiful. Great opportunity to get an introduction to the Yukon. We still had time for a walk round in Skagway afterwards  and spent a considerable time watching the salmon run. (7th August departure) Plan to repeat the tour on our next Alaska cruise in 2023

I have enjoyed the Lake Bennett train excursion twice and will book it whenever I go to Skagway.  The excursion has a private car and is usually only half filled which translates to lots of space on the platforms between the cars for photographs.  FWIW the boxed lunch was fresh and filling.

https://rogerjett-photography.com/wp-content/gallery/white-pass-yukon-railroad/P6086726-2.jpg

https://rogerjett-photography.com/wp-content/gallery/white-pass-yukon-railroad/P6060236.jpg

• Like 1