Question about Abbott’s BinaxNOW™ COVID-19 Ag At-Home Test Kit 6 Pack

jet228

Hey all,

These might be dumb questions - but information can be confusing and hard to find so I want to be sure.  I just purchased the 6 pack of the BinaxNOW AG test.  My questions are:

1> Do you just have to take one of these to get a required negative result? (I've seen some at home tests require 2 tests 3 days apart)

2> There is also a warning on the website that you can't open the box until you are logged in with their medical professional.  I'm assuming of course this is just one of the individual boxes in the 6 pack.  I'm intending to use one before boarding the cruise, and one before returning to the US (cruising from Italy).

Again, I know these are probably stupid questions but I really don't want any nasty surprises derailing my first Mediterranean cruise!   Has anyone used the BinaxNOW Ag kit?

Thanks in advance.

1 hour ago, Host Kat said:

I have not watched all of these, but you will probably find some of your answers in the videos.

Hey! Thanks for the links - I was more looking for personal experience from people on the forums but I'll have a look 🙂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My husband took one yesterday. It is proctored online. If you just want to know for yourself and not for any type of reporting, you can proceed with opening the box. If you want an official email response to use as verification, you don't open the box, but instead log on as directed. The person from a far away foreign land watches you by camera open the kit, take the test, and then you hold us your card for their camera. They send you a verification email.  

• Like 2

These tests are available for FREE from our local library! It has the same packaging and wording! I believe you can also get them through your local health department.

Be sure that you have more than one test.  The first kit's liquid bottle was empty!  Thank goodness we had one for me and my husband had to go through the entire process again with the proctor.  So, DO NOT open the test unless, like I said, you want to just see for your own interest if you have COVID. 

Here's a new mystery. I read about the test kits expiring. There was an extension of 6 months since many of the test kits were produced. My kit's expiration date is Sept 6, 2021, but it was processed through the app with no problem. The lot number is not on the following chart.  Egads. This is confusing!  I called up the customer rep and he was really no help.

https://content.veeabb.com/1d09429b-8373-419f-8f1a-d28f9586863a/678e2269-44b7-4c6d-8fa9-0a55a40f30f7/678e2269-44b7-4c6d-8fa9-0a55a40f30f7_source__v.pdf

4 hours ago, Markanddonna said:

Here's a new mystery. I read about the test kits expiring. There was an extension of 6 months since many of the test kits were produced. My kit's expiration date is Sept 6, 2021, but it was processed through the app with no problem. The lot number is not on the following chart.  Egads. This is confusing!  I called up the customer rep and he was really no help.

https://content.veeabb.com/1d09429b-8373-419f-8f1a-d28f9586863a/678e2269-44b7-4c6d-8fa9-0a55a40f30f7/678e2269-44b7-4c6d-8fa9-0a55a40f30f7_source__v.pdf

The extension on the expiration date is for about 3 months, not 6. (It's likely your kits with expirations dates of Sept. 6, 2021 will expire in November, perhaps December.) There's more than one Abbott letter floating around the internet that lists Lot numbers and the original and extended expiration dates.  Besides the letter to which you linked, here's a link to another one.  If your Lot number is not on there, Google "BinaxNow Lot [insert lot number]"

https://www.emed.com/hubfs/Case 01269955-COL-03030 BinaxNOW™ COVID-19 Ag Home Test Product Expiry Update - Customer Letter EN - US.pdf?hsLang=en

Feel free to post your Lot number here so we can see if we can help.  Be sure you are using the Lot number (the number next to the word "LOT" on the white label on the box).   Despite the word Lot on the label, some folks have mistakenly been using the REF number, 195-000 [or 195-100 or 195-200] to try to find the new expiration date; the REF number is merely an Abbott catalogue/part number.  See photo:

00-m8Z7QgQNSN1pSiWVw3FAIG1nv5s5FgYR4GzGtunnUQYjh24Y9z_OcbtVLcJZ5s4EqCe7ffHDJpwno-pEcjtJnw?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1632135374

2 minutes ago, Markanddonna said:

136903J

That Lot number is listed on page 2 of the Abbott letter to which I linked in comment 8 above:

https://www.emed.com/hubfs/Case 01269955-COL-03030 BinaxNOW™ COVID-19 Ag Home Test Product Expiry Update - Customer Letter EN - US.pdf?hsLang=en

It shows the original expiration date of 9/6/21 and a new expiration date of 12/6/21.

Hope that helps.

I came across this post as I was googling my lot number.  I have looked at both links and don't see lot number 141579.  There is no a,b,c,d, etc behind it.  I called Optum whom I purchased the test from and they told me they have all been extended 3 months.  I'm just trying to verify.  I received my test today and the expiration is in 2 days.  I had planned on using the test for a November cruise.  Any insight would be appreciated.

55 minutes ago, TX.cruiser said:

I came across this post as I was googling my lot number.  I have looked at both links and don't see lot number 141579.  There is no a,b,c,d, etc behind it.  I called Optum whom I purchased the test from and they told me they have all been extended 3 months.  I'm just trying to verify.  I received my test today and the expiration is in 2 days.  I had planned on using the test for a November cruise.  Any insight would be appreciated.

It is definitely odd that some Lot numbers are followed by a letter and some aren’t. At page 5 of the Abbott letter linked below, Lot 141579 is shown only with letters after it (A thru D). The original expiration dates of those Lots is 9/29/21, same as yours, with an extended expiration date of 12/29/21.  The three months squares with the info Optum gave you.