Testing at end of cruise for flights back to USA

basenji56

SailSAFE™ - Oceania Cruises

I am looking at booking flights back to the USA from Barcelona in April 2022.

Does Oceania conduct the testing you will need to fly home?  I read the above website but I couldn't find the answer.  I am not crazy about having to try to find that testing in Barcelona on my own after a 17 day cruise.  Will this make a difference if I stay one day after disembarkation?

Edited by basenji56

My understanding is YES, you will be tested to meet the traveling requirements.  You can confirm with your travel agent and Oceania but when we disembark in Miami on December 3 we know we  will be ready to fly home to California. After the fantastic experience you will have had on your cruise, there is no way Oceania will drop the ball and not test you for your return flights. 
Mauibabes

• Like 1

We just booked a Barcelona to Barcelona cruise for April 2022 yesterday Our TA, confirmed with O, that they will take care of the testing requirements for all passengers for their return flights.  

• Like 1

This will only be valid if you don't plan to stay on in Europe more than 3 days, which is when you need to be tested to return to the US. Hopefully by 2022 vaccinated travellers returning to the US won't have to be tested. If you are vaccinated, what difference does it make where you coming from to a US city. You could pick up the rona flying from a US city to your hometown  airport.

Someone quoted this as the policy.  This may be on that website, but I couldn't find it.  

Will Oceania Cruises offer testing on board to meet travel
requirements for guests flying back to countries that require negative
COVID-19 test results to re-enter the country post cruise?
Yes, COVID-19 antigen tests prior to disembarkation will be administered
on board and paid for by the Cruise Line for those guests who require a test
to return home. If a PCR test is required for any travel home, the Cruise Line
will administer and pay for a PCR test only for those guests whose home
country specifically requires a PCR test. It is the responsibility of the guest to
determine which test is required for their return home and to confirm if the
PCR test the Cruise Line is offering will be accepted by their home country.
The PCR test onboard for cruises from Europe will be administered by
Eurorfins. The PCR test for voyages sailing roundtrip from U.S. ports will be
administered by Oceania Cruises’ onboard medical staff.

6 hours ago, ronrick1943 said:

Don’t forget what program they use today may not be the right one next week, next month—-just keep informed—-before you cruise.  I can’t believe “O” wouldn’t be on top of it and do what’s right during this period.

Yes, absolutely.  Things change every day.  I am just trying to get as much information as possible before committing to purchasing the air home from Spain.  We can pray that things will be much different/better by April 2022.

I know what you mean, it’s hard—-A while back when new thought things would get better I booked tickets that were refundable— Thai Airways had problems and is holding all funds from all tickets.  I purchased part within Chase points and cash….I wouldn’t have gotten a credit from Chase but because I used their travel department-Chase said that was a 3rd party so sorry no refund.  Yes then travel Agency’s was called Chase  Travel Services.  I’ll never use Chase Travel Services again, only transfer miles to an airline program.  Good luck!

28 minutes ago, njhorseman said:

Oceania tests all embarking passengers at the pier. Taking the BImaxNow in advance of the cruise won't change that.

I am more concerned about the end of the cruise and having a test that I can use to fly back to the USA.  There is an additional problem if you stay in Barcelona longer than a day from the end of the cruise.  

1 hour ago, basenji56 said:

I am more concerned about the end of the cruise and having a test that I can use to fly back to the USA.  There is an additional problem if you stay in Barcelona longer than a day from the end of the cruise.  

The CDC regulation states that you must get tested no more than three days before your flight departs. 

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/travelers/testing-international-air-travelers.html#:~:text=On January 12%2C 2021%2C CDC,airline before boarding the flight.

Assuming Oceania does your pre disembarkation test the day before you disembark doesn't that give you almost two days beyond the end of the cruise to fly home?  Let's say you get tested on Saturday for Sunday disembarkation it should give you until Tuesday to board your flight. 

In any event I've not tried to keep up on whether a particular brand of test is valid so I can't say whether the BimaxNow is acceptable. If you look at the eMed website where it's sold even they don't say. right at the top of the page it states: "If you are considering this test for international travel, please check first with your airline regarding U.S. re-entry requirements."

However the OPTUM store does say it's valid https://store.optum.com/shop/products/abbott-binaxNOW-COVID-19-ag-at-home-test-kit-2-pack/  This is accepted by airlines for passengers returning to the U.S. from a trip abroad or with cruise lines with ships originating from the U.S.

1 hour ago, njhorseman said:

The CDC regulation states that you must get tested no more than three days before your flight departs. 

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/travelers/testing-international-air-travelers.html#:~:text=On January 12%2C 2021%2C CDC,airline before boarding the flight.

Assuming Oceania does your pre disembarkation test the day before you disembark doesn't that give you almost two days beyond the end of the cruise to fly home?  Let's say you get tested on Saturday for Sunday disembarkation it should give you until Tuesday to board your flight. 

In any event I've not tried to keep up on whether a particular brand of test is valid so I can't say whether the BimaxNow is acceptable. If you look at the eMed website where it's sold even they don't say. right at the top of the page it states: "If you are considering this test for international travel, please check first with your airline regarding U.S. re-entry requirements."

However the OPTUM store does say it's valid https://store.optum.com/shop/products/abbott-binaxNOW-COVID-19-ag-at-home-test-kit-2-pack/  This is accepted by airlines for passengers returning to the U.S. from a trip abroad or with cruise lines with ships originating from the U.S.

Three days is good.  The cruise lines have changed that to two days--not sure if the CDC will change it.

"Let's say you get tested on Saturday for Sunday disembarkation it should give you until Tuesday to board your flight."

Yes, that will work.  The problem is if the CDC goes to two days and Oceania tests you on Friday for Sunday disembarkation.  It will work for Sunday flights but your Monday flight will be too late.

But, the Bimax should save you in that case.

1 hour ago, basenji56 said:

Three days is good.  The cruise lines have changed that to two days--not sure if the CDC will change it.

"Let's say you get tested on Saturday for Sunday disembarkation it should give you until Tuesday to board your flight."

Yes, that will work.  The problem is if the CDC goes to two days and Oceania tests you on Friday for Sunday disembarkation.  It will work for Sunday flights but your Monday flight will be too late.

But, the Bimax should save you in that case.

I don't understand what you mean by "the cruise lines have changed that to two days" . The cruise  lines have no say in the matter. The CDC makes the rules for when you have to be tested before flying home from outside the US.