Drinks Package Query

Peters Wife

My husband and I will be joining Sky Princess in early October.

We have the drinks package included and both like to enjoy a couple of glasses of wine with dinner in the evening .I would be interested to hear how ordering wine in the dining room works and any experiences fellow travellers have had.

Many thanks

2 hours ago, Peters Wife said:

My husband and I will be joining Sky Princess in early October.

We have the drinks package included and both like to enjoy a couple of glasses of wine with dinner in the evening .I would be interested to hear how ordering wine in the dining room works and any experiences fellow travellers have had.

Many thanks

To avoid "dryness" I would suggest carrying a glass of wine into the MDR, and then ordering another once the waiter comes to take your food  order.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

You can order from the DR waiters. Each person should provide the waiter with their own medallion. If you place an order for two glasses on one medallion then you may receive one free and one charged and you would have to go to passenger services to get it corrected. Some wines are higher priced than US$12. In those cases you will be charged the difference + 18% of the difference. 

Some good points here, ordering in the MDR can sometimes mean a long-ish wait for "re-fill", so order early and order often ;o)  The waiters sometimes do make mistakes (anywhere on the ship, not just the MDRs), so we always check our shipboard account on a daily basis and trundle down to the PSD to have the very occasional incorrect charge reversed. Also, with the package, IIRC full bottles of wine carry only a 25% discount, though as pointed out wine by the glass is covered by the plan up to $12, maximum of 15 drinks per 24 hours.

The selection of wines by the glass in the dining room are limited and my wife likes better wines that aren't usually on the dining room wine list.  So after she finishes the glass we carry into the dining room from Vines or Crooners, she can't get a replacement until she leaves the dining room. 

But, if you have the drink package, make friends with a bartender in Vines or Crooners where you can get better wines by the glass.  If you have been nice and may have (definitely) even tipped a little extra, in many cases if you ask the bartender they will charge out a bottle as 5 glasses of wine on your package and charge the price difference to your on board account.  Then you can take the bottle to the dining room or your room and not have to wait.  Probably works 60 to 70% of the time and is dependent on the bartenders and how busy they are.  

Good luck.