Caribbean Cruises will need both negative PCR Test & to be fully vaccinated

Mrk2868

I actually feel sorry for all the cruise operators

They are trying to plan with zero idea what will or wont be allowed to happen involving the Caribbean in the next few months 

We recently enjoyed a staycation cruise for 4 nights from Southampton on Britannia. Really enjoyed it and great value for money. 

Well organised and felt safe. Whilst on board we noticed they had quarantine designated cabins. We also had several Entertainments cancel. I can't help assuming this came from positive staff tests etc 

I've got my eye on the two week cruise from Barbados on January 1st. 

What worries me is how they can possibly keep Covid from getting on board with all the planned stops. 

And once on board how do they stop it spreading?

Followed by if you get serious Covid what is the treatment like in the various Caribbean countries?

I think my concerns are outweighing the positives. There's only so much P and O can do themselves to manage this

I would actually be more confident to book if there were no ports of call and it was just 14 nights on the boat with food, entertainment and great weather to sunbathe etc

I really think anyone booking a Caribbean cruise right now is taking a lot of risks ( we may still take the risk but I'm.going to wait a while I think) 

I suspect there will be as many cancelling as booking right now

Plus any worst case stories in the media of entire cruises having to quarantine, stay in cabins etc which I kind of think may be inevitable somewhere will cause another ream of cancellations 

I sadly think it may be a year too soon for q Caribbean cruise. But I've not ruled it out yet 

Re new tests needed. On our staycation cruise with P and O they were very hot on sending multiple important update messages

One we got was to tell us we had just got £120 on board credit we never expected

Not bad for a £499 total cost cruise for two people

I'm pretty sure that was designed to persuade people not to cancel

Maybe they will start doing the same for Caribbean cruises to make up for external costs of extra tests etc

Ps what's the cost of the special Covid insurance for the Caribbean cruises? 

Can't imagine it's cheap?

4 minutes ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

Ps what's the cost of the special Covid insurance for the Caribbean cruises? 

Most good insurance  companies include Covid cover as an integral part of their policy,  with no additional cost.  

30 minutes ago, Billish said:

Most good insurance  companies include Covid cover as an integral part of their policy,  with no additional cost.  

When we did the staycation cruise on Britannia we were told we needed to be able to show special Covid insurance to get on board and were given a link with holidayextras to purchase what was needed

This message came at the same time we were sent our unexpected FOC onboard credit. Which I assumed was to make up for the extra insurance cost?

Travel insurance

It's mandatory for all UK guests to have comprehensive cruise-specific travel insurance when you sail with us. Whilst we hope you never have to claim, the policy will ensure you're able to relax and enjoy your holiday knowing you're protected should you need it. When travelling with us, your insurance must include medical cover of £2 million minimum and cover for emergency evacuations and medical expenses related to COVID-19. You must also ensure your policy includes cover for repatriation, cancellation and curtailment and full cover for any and all pre-existing medical conditions worldwide, or as a minimum, in the countries you are due to visit.

You will be asked to confirm you have travel insurance at the terminal and you may need to provide proof of your policy. It is your responsibility to ensure you have appropriate cover in place. Unfortunately you will be denied boarding, at your own expense, if you do not arrange insurance. P&O Cruises has partnered with Holiday Extras to offer appropriate comprehensive travel insurance cover for our holidays. For more information regarding travel insurance requirements please visit www.pocruises.com/travel-insurance.

(We got this message several times as an important update before we travelled)

Any insurance we previously used for holidays was pre Covid even being in existence  and was not cruise specific as far as I know

And never got this message on any previous cruises after booking

25 minutes ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

When we did the staycation cruise on Britannia we were told we needed to be able to show special Covid insurance to get on board and were given a link with holidayextras to purchase what was needed

This message came at the same time we were sent our unexpected FOC onboard credit. Which I assumed was to make up for the extra insurance cost?

That was because Seacation cruises were not covered by standard foreign travel policies.

15 minutes ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

Travel insurance

It's mandatory for all UK guests to have comprehensive cruise-specific travel insurance when you sail with us. Whilst we hope you never have to claim, the policy will ensure you're able to relax and enjoy your holiday knowing you're protected should you need it. When travelling with us, your insurance must include medical cover of £2 million minimum and cover for emergency evacuations and medical expenses related to COVID-19. You must also ensure your policy includes cover for repatriation, cancellation and curtailment and full cover for any and all pre-existing medical conditions worldwide, or as a minimum, in the countries you are due to visit.

You will be asked to confirm you have travel insurance at the terminal and you may need to provide proof of your policy. It is your responsibility to ensure you have appropriate cover in place. Unfortunately you will be denied boarding, at your own expense, if you do not arrange insurance. P&O Cruises has partnered with Holiday Extras to offer appropriate comprehensive travel insurance cover for our holidays. For more information regarding travel insurance requirements please visit www.pocruises.com/travel-insurance.

(We got this message several times as an important update before we travelled)

Any insurance we previously used for holidays was pre Covid even being in existence  and was not cruise specific as far as I know

And never got this message on any previous cruises after booking

But what P&O are asking for is no different to what any reputable insurance company would offer. Just a non issue really.

4 minutes ago, Billish said:

But what P&O are asking for is no different to what any reputable insurance company would offer. Just a non issue really.

It cost us £60 ish pounds for a 4 night cruise. Taking the cheapest option that was allowed. (Bronze)

And like I say we only got that message after we booked 

Just another cost and stress to add to the other stuff

Hence why I assume P and O messaged about FOC credit at same time

5 minutes ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

It cost us £60 ish pounds for a 4 night cruise. Taking the cheapest option that was allowed. (Bronze)

And like I say we only got that message after we booked 

Just another cost and stress to add to the other stuff

Hence why I assume P and O messaged about FOC credit at same time

Just take out an annual policy. Cheaper in the long run !

Caribbean is always the most expensive band of insurance because of the spread of islands.  For serious illness passengers may be required to move to islands with better medical facilities. I cruised with a couple once where the husband had a heart attack in Antigua but upon medical examination was immediately helicoptered to Martinique, the logic bring this French island had the best facilities to deal with it.  This made the costs far higher but the insurance covered absolutely everything. Hence you should look at the best cover not the price. 

If insurance costs are something you are worried about then the simple answer is dont cruise.

Just now, Megabear2 said:

Caribbean is always the most expensive band of insurance because of the spread of islands.  For serious illness passengers may be required to move to islands with better medical facilities. I cruised with a couple once where the husband had a heart attack in Antigua but upon medical examination was immediately helicoptered to Martinique, the logic bring this French island had the best facilities to deal with it.  This made the costs far higher but the insurance covered absolutely everything. Hence you should look at the best cover not the price. 

If insurance costs are something you are worried about then the simple answer is dont cruise.

We can afford them. Just never had to get something specific to be allowed on a cruise before like that

4 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

Is there a recommended policy provider for people who want to cruise a lot each year?

That covers all cruises everywhere?

Sorry, I wasn't suggesting you couldn't, merely saying for Caribbean/US cruises it really isn't worth skimping to save a few pounds.  My husband at 64 has considerable health conditions, all controlled and insurable. We used Staysure for an annual policy including worldwide cruising and winter sports with no excess and paid £570 for an annual policy which they gave us 15 months cover.  We had other quotes for several thousand pounds though, so I didn't follow my own advice but just chose the one with a good reputation and best medical cover.

5 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

Sorry, I wasn't suggesting you couldn't, merely saying for Caribbean/US cruises it really isn't worth skimping to save a few pounds.  My husband at 64 has considerable health conditions, all controlled and insurable. We used Staysure for an annual policy including worldwide cruising and winter sports with no excess and paid £570 for an annual policy which they gave us 15 months cover.  We had other quotes for several thousand pounds though, so I didn't follow my own advice but just chose the one with a good reputation and best medical cover.

No problem at all

Thanks will take a look

I think getting the right insurance for holidays is more important than ever right now

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

Ok

I assume Covid must be having a big impact on all holiday insurances now though ?

I doubt it, most covid claims seem to be covered by the travel company, with passengers receiving refunds or credits, I suspect that although  insurers have increased their charges they are not having to pay out very much at all.

3 hours ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

would actually be more confident to book if there were no ports of call and it was just 14 nights on the boat with food, entertainment and great weather to sunbathe etc

I would love that. I would definitely go for a cruise from Southampton that sailed to the  Canaries/round the Med, without any ports of call. No hassle about tests, etc, just food, drink and sunshine!

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Bgees said:

I would love that. I would definitely go for a cruise from Southampton that sailed to the  Canaries/round the Med, without any ports of call. No hassle about tests, etc, just food, drink and sunshine!

Yep me too!

A staycation with some sun included 

But maybe not enough people like us to make such cruises viable

Like I say I feel bad for cruise operators trying to make things attractive to customers but also having to work around so much Covid uncertainty and different rules in different countries etc

Absolute nightmare for them

Yes, you do for Caribbean.

We are using Staysure too - both of us take tablets for high blood pressure and cholestorol, and I have Type 2 diabetes (tablets controlled).

For a mulit-trip comprehensive annual policy (which will cover 3 booked cruises including the 28 day Caribbean on Cunard QM2 starting Jan14th 2022), we paid £967 which included Cruise Plus Cover and Whole World destinations.

Compared to ridiculous alternatives, some over £4,000, we feel it is a price worth paying - about another 6% on the cost of the cruises - again for 15 months cover.

My goodness, the last quote I got from Staysure was £567 for an annual multi trip..  Husband is 82 with 2 conditions including BP and I broke my hip this year.  I'm 74.  I suppose it depends on the conditions.

Edited by jeanlyon