Just Back From Our Absolutely AMAzing Romantic Danube Cruise on the AmaWaterways AmaVerde 9/26-10/3/21

Sleep7

We took the shuttle back into Vienna after lunch on the ship and quickly found Graben which is the main shopping street.  It's a stone's throw from the famous St Stephens Cathedral.

00-82qzCefrjPOP0EP8W0X1Ip5oRj-16P8b-K8ijSg6I1QrsN8hGNWMLCBcIIX00YCg5cYdfB3jRoL_VZILaXEufg?cn=THISLIFE&res=large&ts=1633060735

The "Trinity Column" erected in the late 1600's was to commemorate and celebrate the end of the plague.

00-82qzCefrjPOP0EP8W0X1Ip5oRj-16P8b-K8ijSg6I1QlXR8e2KA7zEwMr1J0ApeA5cYdfB3jRoL_VZILaXEufg?cn=THISLIFE&res=large&ts=1633060736

• Like 2

Today was another "lazy" morning and it was relaxing and wonderful.

A guest lecturer was aboard and gave a fascinating talk in the lounge about the history of the Danube River and the Austro-Hungarian Empire.

The 1:00 pm COVID testing time was looming ahead of us and the interesting commentary took our minds off of it for a while.

At 1pm sharp we went to the room where the Chef's Table dinner was served the night before.

There were 8 of us there.. all were chatting nervously as the technicians that came on when we docked in Bratislava were setting up and donning bunny suits.

I'm a forward (slightly crazy?) ] thinker and started googling hotels in Bratislava in case one of us tested positive..

FYI.. there is a Hilton Doubletree in the downtown.🙃

Since Sam and I were flying home in 2 days we took a rapid Antigen test.  The USA will accept either an Antigen test or a PCR test as long as they are performed 3 days before your first flight takes off.

They don't bother with a 72 hour window.. they make it easier that it just has to be 3 days before your flight leaves to return home.

You can read more about it here.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/travelers/testing-international-air-travelers.html

00-82qzCefrjPOP0EP8W0X1Ip5oRj-16P8b-K8ijSg6I1Tpn3qPH5DDruIoNyVxsg6oUnDnu4gHHWpfyYq5WwzmNg?cn=THISLIFE&res=large&ts=1633116282

• Like 1

GREAT NEWS!!! BOTH OF US WERE NEGATIVE!  All 8 fellow passengers who tested that day were negative too!  It's so fun to share good news and we told everyone who we saw for the rest of the day that we were negative. There was joy in Mudville!00-82qzCefrjPOP0EP8W0X1Ip5oRj-16P8b-K8ijSg6I1QfpkglnmAArYMLBn1FP3e0V7ntXQOewWgszVPDOQPWWw?cn=THISLIFE&res=large&ts=1633116283

• Like 3

At 2pm we joined a walking tour of Bratislava with the best guide yet! She must moonlight as a comedienne because she was hilarious!

The city is charming and beautiful.. the sun was shining and it was a delightful afternoon in a delightful city.

Artwork? Not sure..

00-82qzCefrjPOP0EP8W0X1Ip5oRj-16P8b-K8ijSg6I1Q0RqNnixDZzU5cgNHTbNzCKwg5ydwHipy3aIZBf9dNYQ?cn=THISLIFE&res=large&ts=1633116290

• Like 1

The Opera House in the main square.

00-82qzCefrjPOP0EP8W0X1Ip5oRj-16P8b-K8ijSg6I1Q4FzQWKWuXvIWHBsEOxnyXaAUrgnwgvQnZ_1RWb7NZPA?cn=THISLIFE&res=large&ts=1633116318

The leafy tree lined street that comes off of the Opera house..

00-82qzCefrjPOP0EP8W0X1Ip5oRj-16P8b-K8ijSg6I1RBJ7wttZuZ4PxGyNAQcqFS4xJ2Twu75QF_jizMkB1ZdA?cn=THISLIFE&res=large&ts=1633116351

A statue similar to Vienna's to commemorate and celebrate the end of the plague.

00-82qzCefrjPOP0EP8W0X1Ip5oRj-16P8b-K8ijSg6I1RufUug4DuKfAQ7AAzYvW1k5cYdfB3jRoL_VZILaXEufg?cn=THISLIFE&res=large&ts=1633116342

• Like 2

Luckily Vienna is much closer to us so we’ve been there several times, your right a wonderful wonderful city, you just have to watch The Third Man again. Our very good friend was there when it was a divided city with him as a guide it was something else. They have a wonderful traffic system and I could wax lyrical for ever.

• Like 1

Sleep7, Thanks for the great detailed report and photos.  Your report adds even more anticipation as we look forward to our cruise in a few weeks with AMA; though going on a different ship and upstream to the same towns.  It was good to see that there are pop-up testing sites in Vienna since we will be there for a few days post-cruise, too much to see for a day port stop.  The Front Line Workers discount is such a kind offer from AMA.

Edited by 14ersco
  • Like 3

Sleep7 like so many posters I enjoyed your river cruise details too.  Glad some questions were answered along the way like what camera you used and the butter discussion.  Wondering about the comparison one of the posters made of AMA vs Avalon.  I am a future Avalon customer.  And how is Ama pronounced?  Is it a word or letters?  The photos of the scenery and historic sites were top notch.  And I REALLY like the photos of you and hubby Sam.

Deb

• Like 1

🙋‍♀️Good morning!  Woke up at 4am which is two hours later than yesterday morning so I'm moving in the right time direction!🤩

Even nicer is waking up to all of your lovely comments..

Canal archive.. thanks so much again for your compliments.. 😉Please contact AMA on my behalf as cruise blogging (and Chanel shopping) would be my dream job! 😁

texasstar.. Yes.. I agree that I feel so lucky that we were able to take advantage of their offer. Such a nice gesture on their part and was offered really at the lowest point of the pandemic as at that time (last March/April) we were the epicenter in NYC.😷

NCHPcruiser.. I'm honored that I was your evening's entertainment. Thank you so much for telling me that!🤗

14ersco.. Oh lucky you leaving for your cruise in a few weeks!! And even better that you will spend a few days in Vienna.  It was such a wonderful city and we really didn't have enough time to even see 10% of it.  Hubs is back to work today so we weren't able to pad the cruise on either end with a land portion.

Enjoy your trip!!!🤩

nursinadream.. Thanks Deb for your compliments and kind words.  I'm glad I was able to answer a few questions.  I was so glad that my new phone came in literally the day before we left as I read that the new iphone's camera is a big improvement over the last model and I believe it is.  Much better zoom and a great battery life. 

People on the ship called it AMA as a word.. not A M A so I guess that's how it's pronounced.

Our first river cruise was on Avalon on the Rhine and it was fantastic too.  You will have an amazing time!!🤗

• Like 2

Sleep7 thank you both so much for taking us all along on your fabulous journey. You provided such wonderful descriptions and the photos were amazing. We have cruised the Danube twice and you brought it all back to us.  Wished we could have cruised with you because you have made the very best travel buddies.  Well done and many thanks again!!!

• Like 3