Is Walgreens Rapid Diagnostic Test (Abbott ID NOW) NAAT test accepted by Viking?

basenji56

Clearing Up the Confusion on Types of COVID Testing - Physicians Immediate Care

Molecular PCR Testing for COVID-19

Polymerase chain reaction (PCR) testing works by detecting the genetic material of the coronavirus. In PCR testing, a sample is taken from the nose with a swab. A technician or medical professional then uses a scientific device to replicate the genetic material until there are millions of copies. Even if there is only a very small amount of the virus present in the sample, copying the genetic material allows it to become detectable. The machine then checks if the replicated genetic material matches the known genetic sequence of COVID-19.

Because the test amplifies the amount of viral genetic material present, PCR testing has a higher level of accuracy and sensitivity, even when patients are pre-symptomatic or asymptomatic. It has less than a 5% false-negative rate, and less than a 0.5% false-positive rate.

Rapid Molecular PCR Testing

While PCR tests for COVID-19 once could only be done in labs, they can now be carried out quickly on-site, producing results in a matter of minutes. Where these rapid COVID testing units are available, they are a great option for getting fast and reliable results.

At Physicians Immediate Care, we are able to offer the  Abbott ID NOW COVID-19 Rapid Molecular PCR test (This is a Nucleic Acid Amplification Test – NAAT) with results in under 15 minutes. We prefer this test due to its high accuracy (less than a 0.5% chance that a negative result is inaccurate) and speed of results. Results are available in less than 15 minutes, making it the fastest rapid point of care molecular COVID-19 test. Fast, accurate results help us follow up immediately and provide the best possible care for our patients.

44 minutes ago, rbslos18 said:

No. They want a PCR test.

It is a PCR test. Read the description in the original post:

"At Physicians Immediate Care, we are able to offer the  Abbott ID NOW COVID-19 Rapid Molecular PCR test (This is a Nucleic Acid Amplification Test – NAAT) with results in under 15 minutes."

It's being described as a "rapid test" because they have the lab equipment on site to perform the testing so you get your results back rapidly.

Edited by njhorseman

Ditto what  @MarkTapleysays.

It is all well and good for us to try to answer these questions for those that ask but when push comes to shove, the truth of the matter is that the words "they told me on Cruise Critic" aren't worth a plug nickel if we get it wrong and someone is denied boarding on the basis of what they learned here. The downside is expensive-- because these kinds of mistakes are not covered by your insurance.

You can ask Viking your question now, but even if you do, I would ask again 30 days prior to sailing -- because all these covid protocols are like the shifting sands of the desert, constantly changing.

Edited by Peregrina651
  • Like 3

You need to also review the testing requirements for the country/countries you are visiting.

Are you talking about a Viking required test--- for which cruise?

Or are you asking about the test requirements for a travel visa for a specific country?

Requirements vary. 

We had to do a specific test for our Bahamas and Bermuda travel visas, with additional testing done at the port and on ship for each.

If you have already booked---you can check specific requirements on myvikingjourney.com.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, njhorseman said:

It is a PCR test. Read the description in the original post:

"At Physicians Immediate Care, we are able to offer the  Abbott ID NOW COVID-19 Rapid Molecular PCR test (This is a Nucleic Acid Amplification Test – NAAT) with results in under 15 minutes."

It's being described as a "rapid test" because they have the lab equipment on site to perform the testing so you get your results back rapidly.

When I contacted Viking I was told it is not a PCR test.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, rbslos18 said:

When I contacted Viking I was told it is not a PCR test.

The test description is clearly that of a PCR test. Do you think the facility is lying ?

To be blunt, the person at Viking you spoke to doesn't know what they're talking about and probably thinks that the words "rapid test" somehow mean it's an antigen test. 

But I don't care...it doesn't involve me...I have no skin in the game so I won't say anything more.

7 hours ago, broker1217 said:

Basenji---accepted by Viking for exactly what?  

Where are you traveling?

To board the ship in San Juan on December 13.  I am well aware that the rules are constantly changing.  I am interested in the current rules if anyone has used this test to board the ship.

I wouldn't be surprised if they required a PCR test personally supervised by Dr. Fauci within 12 hours by the time we get to December.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

8 hours ago, broker1217 said:

You need to also review the testing requirements for the country/countries you are visiting.

Are you talking about a Viking required test--- for which cruise?

Or are you asking about the test requirements for a travel visa for a specific country?

Requirements vary. 

We had to do a specific test for our Bahamas and Bermuda travel visas, with additional testing done at the port and on ship for each.

If you have already booked---you can check specific requirements on myvikingjourney.com.

It is a Southern Caribbean cruise.  Does Viking expect you to get separate tests for 8 different countries?

December 13, 2021 out of San Juan.

I want to know what test I need to get onto the ship.  And into San Juan if the tests are different.

8 hours ago, MarkTapley said:

@basenji56,

Suggest you ask someone at Viking.

Yes, I have asked my travel agent to call Viking.  They are the final word--although they may not be fully informed if they don't think a NAAT test is a type of PCR test.  I am more interested in the personal experiences of people who got this test and were allowed on the ship.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Peregrina651 said:

Published today, October 5, this is the most up-to-date information:

https://docs.vikingcruises.com/pdf/14-21005-RestartPreCruiseRequirement-UnitedStates_US_CA_FINAL.pdf

Among other things, it says:

image.png.6dbb980f55d7b47b18a1f31ada8643ee.png

MVJ for our cruise that embarks in Italy still lists 72 hours and only a PCR test for travel to Italy!

9 hours ago, MarkTapley said:

@basenji56,

Suggest you ask someone at Viking.

Yes, I have asked my travel agent to call Viking.  They are the final word--although they may not be fully informed if they don't think a NAAT test is a type of PCR test.  I am more interested in the personal experiences of people who got this test and were allowed on the ship.

Viking Oceans Caribbean Cruise, 10 Nights From San Juan, Viking Sea, December 13, 2021 | iCruise.com

47 minutes ago, basenji56 said:

To board the ship in San Juan on December 13.  I am well aware that the rules are constantly changing.  I am interested in the current rules if anyone has used this test to board the ship.

I wouldn't be surprised if they required a PCR test personally supervised by Dr. Fauci within 12 hours by the time we get to December.

No , will not being using this test on Friday when I get my COVID  PCR test  for my sailing on Oct 12 on Viking Venus out of Malta. Same test as the one I did for my Bermuda cruise in July. 

Yes, the rules are changing after Oct 31..

This is from the COVID test required for my sailing next week:  my MVJ.,  

"COVID-19 Testing
Viking recommends all guests take a COVID-19 PCR test prior to departure
Viking is committed to doing all we can to ensure you are healthy and well prepared for international travel—and that you will be able to arrive in your destination and embark your ship without incident. Effective for departures beginning September 23, 2021 through October 31, 2021, Viking will require all guests to take a COVID-19 PCR (nasal swab or saliva) test within 72 hours prior to boarding their first outbound flight from their home country.

If the first country of your itinerary already requires a negative COVID-19 test result for entry, there is no additional testing requirement. The negative COVID-19 test results you are using to meet the country's entry requirements will meet the Viking testing requirement.

For departures after October 31, 2021 that do not have a country requirement for a PCR test, Viking strongly recommends you take a PCR test to ensure ease of travel."

Your cruise in DEC will be governed by the rules found in your MJV. 

Have a great cruise. Use the Viking web site for more information if you have not book your cruise yet and do not have access to MVJ.

16 minutes ago, basenji56 said:

Regular PCR tests can take up to 48 hours or more.  You have to get the test within 72 hours.  What could go wrong?

Our Sept. river cruise in Europe suggested a test 72 hours before departure.  CVS says results USUALLY take 2-3 days - we got ours late on day 2, which was fine.  Now the requirements from Viking state:

Get a COVID‐19 COVID‐19 NAAT/ PCR (nasopharyngeal/nasal swab)/or antigen test  US/Canadian guests must get a test no more than two (2) days before boarding your ship. Ensure you are provided with either a printed and/or electronic copy of the results; be prepared to present this multiple times as directed throughout your travels.  

(Note that it DOES say NAAT/PCR)  But we would have to leave for the airport before we could possibly have our test results, if a rapid test is not accepted....  Feel like this is a Catch-22.  Also, we will be leaving from FL, which I understand has a backlog for testing.  Our cruise leaves on Nov. 3.  Any suggestions?

12 minutes ago, goldwingers said:

Our Sept. river cruise in Europe suggested a test 72 hours before departure.  CVS says results USUALLY take 2-3 days - we got ours late on day 2, which was fine.  Now the requirements from Viking state:

Get a COVID‐19 COVID‐19 NAAT/ PCR (nasopharyngeal/nasal swab)/or antigen test  US/Canadian guests must get a test no more than two (2) days before boarding your ship. Ensure you are provided with either a printed and/or electronic copy of the results; be prepared to present this multiple times as directed throughout your travels.  

(Note that it DOES say NAAT/PCR)  But we would have to leave for the airport before we could possibly have our test results, if a rapid test is not accepted....  Feel like this is a Catch-22.  Also, we will be leaving from FL, which I understand has a backlog for testing.  Our cruise leaves on Nov. 3.  Any suggestions?

So now they changed it to 48 hours from 72 hours?  Egads.

1 hour ago, basenji56 said:

Regular PCR tests can take up to 48 hours or more.  You have to get the test within 72 hours.  What could go wrong?

Nothing. I have a 24 hr turn around on my PRC test. They use their  own lab . Cost to me $119.00. Also one can  find quick test at airports for travelers. Some only take 30 minutes. Again it will cost you. But that is the price of cruising in the Time of COVID.

You w

9 minutes ago, Azulann said:

Nothing. I have a 24 hr turn around on my PRC test. They use their  own lab . Cost to me $119.00. Also one can  find quick test at airports for travelers. Some only take 30 minutes. Again it will cost you. But that is the price of cruising in the Time of COVID.

You were lucky to get a 24 hour turnaround for a PCR test.  Good for you.  But if they tell me the turnaround is 48 hours, what do I do? 

NAAT is a quick test but Viking doesn't know what it is.  Antigen tests are quick but Viking doesn't accept them.

Royal accepts the home antigen test that is proctored on your Zoom. Much easier. 

2 hours ago, basenji56 said:

To throw another caveat into the equation, if you are taking a flight to start your cruise beware there can be "gatekeepers" along the way. When we started our trip for Iceland late August the United counter agent would not accept our state run PCR results because they were only date stamped, not time stamped. After getting tested again in real time (antigen) also a state run test at the airport and still not time stamped, after a long conversation with her higher ups,  we were admitted to the gate. On another cruise in September with Crystal Cruises where Bermuda Travel Authority have agents onboard the ship they wanted us to retake our test, at our expense, because the lab where we tested at home (same state run testing as before) didn't provide the address of the lab. 

The address of the lab appears to be important to more "gatekeepers" than the time stamp and because a destination can change their requirements at anytime, I thought I would share my experiences. The more details on your PCR test results... the better.

Good Luck to All traveling!

10 hours ago, Peregrina651 said:

Published today, October 5, this is the most up-to-date information:

https://docs.vikingcruises.com/pdf/14-21005-RestartPreCruiseRequirement-UnitedStates_US_CA_FINAL.pdf

Among other things, it says:

image.png.6dbb980f55d7b47b18a1f31ada8643ee.png

Where does this appear? My mvj still has the 9/17 edition requiring 72 hours. 

• Like 1