Is Walgreens Rapid Diagnostic Test (Abbott ID NOW) NAAT test accepted by Viking?

basenji56

30 minutes ago, rbslos18 said:

Where does this appear? My mvj still has the 9/17 edition requiring 72 hours. 

There was a message in my MVJ notifications yesterday with the link  I shared. Not clear when the instructions go into effect but we are sailing in December and these are the current instructions for our cruise -- with the clear caveat that we should check for changes at least a week before departure.

3 hours ago, basenji56 said:

Word from my Travel Agent who called Viking:

"they don't know what a NAAT test is."

The one person the TA talked to doesn't know what an NAAT test is.

If you can't get anywhere with the people who answer the phones, try contacting Viking at TellUs@vikingcruises.com. They have always come through for me whenever I have had questions or problems.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rbslos18 said:

Where does this appear? My mvj still has the 9/17 edition requiring 72 hours. 

I'm on the same Hawaii cruise as @Peregrina651. Under the "Resources" tab for that cruise's description on the main Viking website, there is a link to "United States Pre-Cruise Requirements". That's where the document is found which @Peregrina651 quoted from with the new requirement for testing within two days of boarding our ship.

Cruises to some other destinations have links such as "Greek Pre-Cruise Embarkation Requirements" with different testing requirements. Other cruises have no such links to special requirements which I would suppose means they fall under the overall "Updates on Current Sailings" and "Viking Health & Safety Program" requirements at this time.

16 minutes ago, bobitegirl said:

Note the new requirement that Peregrina651 included says Covid 19 NAAT/PCR OR  Antigen test. Fast antigen tests are easier to come by but not as accurate.

There are problems with PCR tests too.  

The Trouble With PCR Tests – Swiss Policy Research (swprs.org)

1. The PCR test can react to other coronaviruses. According to lab examinations, this happens in about 1% to 3% of cases if only one target gene is tested, as is the case in many (but not all) labs and as the WHO itself has recommended to avoid ambiguous positive/negative test results.
  2. The PCR test can detect non-infectious virus fragments weeks after an active infection, or from an infection of a contact person, as the US CDC confirmed.
  3. The PCR test can detect viable virus in quantities too small to be infectious (see below).

1 hour ago, bluemarble said:

I'm on the same Hawaii cruise as @Peregrina651. Under the "Resources" tab for that cruise's description on the main Viking website, there is a link to "United States Pre-Cruise Requirements". That's where the document is found which @Peregrina651 quoted from with the new requirement for testing within two days of boarding our ship.

Cruises to some other destinations have links such as "Greek Pre-Cruise Embarkation Requirements" with different testing requirements. Other cruises have no such links to special requirements which I would suppose means they fall under the overall "Updates on Current Sailings" and "Viking Health & Safety Program" requirements at this time.

This underscores checking with MVJ for the proper information.

2 hours ago, Peregrina651 said:

There was a message in my MVJ notifications yesterday with the link  I shared. Not clear when the instructions go into effect but we are sailing in December and these are the current instructions for our cruise -- with the clear caveat that we should check for changes at least a week before departure.

I got the same notification this morning (we board Orion on November 17th) in FLL, going through the Canal to LA.  I am very confused about this too - what shows on MVJ conflicts with this new info dated 10/5/21.  I tried chatting with Viking about it this morning and the person was clueless and was just regurgitating their script and had no idea what I was talking about.  Hoping someone who gets clarification posts back here although I will for sure check again with Viking once we're within 30 days of embarkation and again within 7 days although then it gets a bit dicey being that close and not knowing for sure what is expected when we arrive at the pier.

14 minutes ago, zelker said:

I got the same notification this morning (we board Orion on November 17th) in FLL, going through the Canal to LA.  I am very confused about this too - what shows on MVJ conflicts with this new info dated 10/5/21.  I tried chatting with Viking about it this morning and the person was clueless and was just regurgitating their script and had no idea what I was talking about.  Hoping someone who gets clarification posts back here although I will for sure check again with Viking once we're within 30 days of embarkation and again within 7 days although then it gets a bit dicey being that close and not knowing for sure what is expected when we arrive at the pier.

It appears different cruises have different requirements. The info posted earlier was for a Hawaii cruise. Your Panama Canal cruise may differ. My Med cruise beginning in Italy is a PCR within 72 hours pre-arrival. Since COVID is improving, there is a good chance November and December cruises may still have a different policy. Viking states the PCR requirement is mandated by Italy. Italy tourism websites say PCR or Antigen test. Travel during a pandemic is not for the faint of heart.

I'd follow what is in MVJ.

I called Viking about the test requirements.  They are still working on the specifics for my cruise.  San Juan, 12/13/21.

As of now, they require the full PCR test (not he rapid or NAAT test).

BUT the 72 hours is before my first flight to San Juan (which is part of the United States, my home country).  Since the turnaround is said to be up to 48 hours, I should be able to meet that deadline:

Effective for departures beginning September 23, 2021 through October 31, 2021,Viking will require all guests to take a COVID-19 PCR (nasal swab or saliva) test within 72 hours of boarding their first outbound flight from their home country.

"If traveling independently and outside of home country, guests must take a PCR test no more than 72 hours prior to their first Viking activity (embarking ship or joining pre-cruise extension). This may involve arranging a test independently in the country guest is visiting."

I think I should be able to get the PCR results within that time frame.

So, I feel better for now--until I get the final requirements for this cruise and see if they are any different!  I noted that they are accepting the NAAT testing for some other sailings, but not yet mine.

Edited by basenji56

2 hours ago, basenji56 said:
 I called Viking about the test requirements.  They are still working on the specifics for my cruise.  San Juan, 12/13/21.

As of now, they require the full PCR test (not he rapid or NAAT test).

BUT the 72 hours is before my first flight to San Juan (which is part of the United States, my home country).  Since the turnaround is said to be up to 48 hours, I should be able to meet that deadline:

Effective for departures beginning September 23, 2021 through October 31, 2021,Viking will require all guests to take a COVID-19 PCR (nasal swab or saliva) test within 72 hours of boarding their first outbound flight from their home country.

"If traveling independently and outside of home country, guests must take a PCR test no more than 72 hours prior to their first Viking activity (embarking ship or joining pre-cruise extension). This may involve arranging a test independently in the country guest is visiting."

I think I should be able to get the PCR results within that time frame.

So, I feel better for now--until I get the final requirements for this cruise and see if they are any different!  I noted that they are accepting the NAAT testing for some other sailings, but not yet mine.

There just seems to be confusion on many fronts. Viking states for our December Med cruise that a preflight (72 hours) PCR test is required. Then it states since Italy requires a PCR test, a pre-flight test is not needed. But the Italy Tourism Bureau and US Embassy state a PCR or Antigen test is required. The original 9/17 memo stated either was required. The document was changed to Italy requiring a PCR test.

Viking: "ADDITIONAL REQUIREMENTS TO TRAVEL TO ITALY: 1. Proof of negative COVID-19 PCR - If traveling from US/Canada, taken no more than 72 hours prior to arrival in Italy. - If traveling from UK, taken no more than 48 hours prior to arrival in Italy."

US Embassy in Italy:  "Beginning on August 31 and valid until October 25, 2021, travelers from the United States may enter Italy if they present a negative molecular PCR or rapid antigen test result carried out within 72 hours of arrival..."

Italy Ministry of Tourism: 3. Present a document certifying that they have performed a molecular or antigenic swab test in the 72 hours prior to arrival in Italy with negative results.

My guess is Viking is just overwhelmed....

• Like 1

3 hours ago, zelker said:

We are on the November 26 Star sailing round trip FLL (Panama Canal/Central America) and received the same updated Oct. 5 covid notification on MVJ today.  However, the earlier covid note with the 72 hour window for testing is still showing.  ??

29 minutes ago, jmfdr said:

We are on the November 26 Star sailing round trip FLL (Panama Canal/Central America) and received the same updated Oct. 5 covid notification on MVJ today.  However, the earlier covid note with the 72 hour window for testing is still showing.  ??

Yes indeed. There's a serious disconnect between what My Viking Journey is showing after it presented us with that one-time notification about new United States Pre-Cruise Requirements.

Take a look at this link to the "Resources" tab for your Panama Canal & Central America cruise and you will see the link to the "United States Pre-Cruise Requirements" document there.

Panama Canal & Central America - Resources (vikingcruises.com)

I'm inclined to believe those new requirements will be in effect for many of the cruises departing from the US during the next few months. But it certainly should say so in My Viking Journey beyond that one-time notification that goes "poof" after you read it.

Edited by bluemarble

43 minutes ago, rbslos18 said:

There just seems to be confusion on many fronts. Viking states for our December Med cruise that a preflight (72 hours) PCR test is required. Then it states since Italy requires a PCR test, a pre-flight test is not needed. But the Italy Tourism Bureau and US Embassy state a PCR or Antigen test is required. The original 9/17 memo stated either was required. The document was changed to Italy requiring a PCR test.

Viking: "ADDITIONAL REQUIREMENTS TO TRAVEL TO ITALY: 1. Proof of negative COVID-19 PCR - If traveling from US/Canada, taken no more than 72 hours prior to arrival in Italy. - If traveling from UK, taken no more than 48 hours prior to arrival in Italy."

US Embassy in Italy:  "Beginning on August 31 and valid until October 25, 2021, travelers from the United States may enter Italy if they present a negative molecular PCR or rapid antigen test result carried out within 72 hours of arrival..."

Italy Ministry of Tourism: 3. Present a document certifying that they have performed a molecular or antigenic swab test in the 72 hours prior to arrival in Italy with negative results.

My guess is Viking is just overwhelmed....

To add to the confusion with the 9/17 document for Italy:  "Get a COVID-19 PCR Test (nasopharyngeal/nasal swab) – Italy REQUIREMENT • US/Canadian guests must get a test no more than 72 hours prior to arrival in Italy. • UK guests must get a test no more than 48 hours prior to arrival in Italy."

As you see above, this is not accurate. The Italy requirement is PCR or Antigen.

11 hours ago, bluemarble said:

Yes indeed. There's a serious disconnect between what My Viking Journey is showing after it presented us with that one-time notification about new United States Pre-Cruise Requirements.

Take a look at this link to the "Resources" tab for your Panama Canal & Central America cruise and you will see the link to the "United States Pre-Cruise Requirements" document there.

Panama Canal & Central America - Resources (vikingcruises.com)

I'm inclined to believe those new requirements will be in effect for many of the cruises departing from the US during the next few months. But it certainly should say so in My Viking Journey beyond that one-time notification that goes "poof" after you read it.

Our cruise is still 49 days away.  I assume, or hope, Viking will update our MVJ information to reflect the actual covid requirements.  The "poofed" information doesn't yet seem absolutely reliable.  Thanks for sending the Resurce info.

Jan

Yes, our MVJ also tells us to get a PCR test before arrival in Italy, though Italy currently takes both PCR and antigen tests. But it makes sense that Viking would tell us to take the most cautious route and just get the PCR, in case requirements change en route. You can’t go wrong with the PCR test. (Unless of course it comes up positive, but that’s a whole ‘nother kettle of fish.)

2 hours ago, jmfdr said:

Our cruise is still 49 days away.  I assume, or hope, Viking will update our MVJ information to reflect the actual covid requirements.  The "poofed" information doesn't yet seem absolutely reliable.  Thanks for sending the Resurce info.

Jan

One additional item to consider is this statement I'm seeing in MVJ under "COVID-19 Testing" within the "Before You Go" section (emphasis mine).

"As you prepare for your voyage, please read the Pre-Cruise Requirements found under the Resources tab of your itinerary page on the Viking website and follow all guidelines that Viking provides via email and on My Viking Journey."

As a newbie to Viking, this gives me the impression Viking might not be intending to put all the details about testing requirements into MVJ. For itinerary-specific requirements, we may need to refer to what's found under the resources tab on the main Viking website and can't depend entirely on what's found in MVJ. Does that seem like an accurate interpretation to you Viking regulars?

32 minutes ago, Twitchly said:

Yes, our MVJ also tells us to get a PCR test before arrival in Italy, though Italy currently takes both PCR and antigen tests. But it makes sense that Viking would tell us to take the most cautious route and just get the PCR, in case requirements change en route. You can’t go wrong with the PCR test. (Unless of course it comes up positive, but that’s a whole ‘nother kettle of fish.)

The only problem with them requiring a PCR although 72 hours before arrival can be a hardship if the test needs to be done on a weekend.

The problem I have is that lower down it says "Italy Requirement" which is not accurate. This is Viking requiring a PCR test. Italy allows an Antigen.

A better approach would be:

1) PCR 72 hours before flight--easily done 

2) PCR/Antigen or proctored home rapid Antigen test 48 hours before arrival in Italy. (PCR is nearly impossible on weekends and results will possibly be late)

35 minutes ago, bluemarble said:

One additional item to consider is this statement I'm seeing in MVJ under "COVID-19 Testing" within the "Before You Go" section (emphasis mine).

"As you prepare for your voyage, please read the Pre-Cruise Requirements found under the Resources tab of your itinerary page on the Viking website and follow all guidelines that Viking provides via email and on My Viking Journey."

As a newbie to Viking, this gives me the impression Viking might not be intending to put all the details about testing requirements into MVJ. For itinerary-specific requirements, we may need to refer to what's found under the resources tab on the main Viking website and can't depend entirely on what's found in MVJ. Does that seem like an accurate interpretation to you Viking regulars?

I think it is sloppy. The MVJ should be the definitive go to place for all. Why expect people to check two separate locations? As it stands the info is the same.

• Like 2

Riddle me this bat persons. Assuming Ihave viking insurance, my PCR test fails to have results before departure. What happens? I assume I'm denied airline boarding. Then what?

This actually happened to me  before Malta cruise but nobody cared.

Edited by philw1776

6 minutes ago, philw1776 said:

Riddle me this bat persons. Assuming Ihave viking insurance, my PCR test fails to have results before departure. What happens? I assume I'm denied airline boarding. Then what?

I would do two PCR tests and pray one arrives before departure. You could also do a Rapid Antigen test. Every PCR test I have done at Walmart drive through has been back in 24 hours and because of work I have to be tested regularly. Many report CVS is 24 hours as well. Best of luck!

3 hours ago, philw1776 said:

Yikes, do you mean that you could not board, had to cancel and fly home?