Is Walgreens Rapid Diagnostic Test (Abbott ID NOW) NAAT test accepted by Viking?

basenji56

4 hours ago, philw1776 said:

but what happens if it does not

Our approach is three tests. The odds of all three taking longer than 24 hours is zero. The Rapid test is back within an hour. There are also proctored tests like the BinaxNow RX test which is an Antigen test. You have to use the RX. The results take 15 minutes and you receive a document. The test can be done the day before and work IF a PCR test is not mandatory.

• 1 month later...

A PCR test is a "rapid test" but previously the test needed to be sent to a qualified lab for processing.  Some pharmacies like Walgreens now have the equipment or nearby contract entity available to process the test in 15-30 minutes.  It's the same as the old test, but without the time required to send it to the lab and then have the results uploaded to the originating locations and customer, covering about two days of waiting time.

As the Pentagon's former Chief of International Science and Technology, I keep up on the logistics associated with testing.  I'm not surprised that Viking's staff may not all be aware of the latest information, although they clearly should be.  

Edited by ddgarner1
updated with reference to prior average processing time.
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, ddgarner1 said:

A PCR test is a "rapid test" but previously the test needed to be sent to a qualified lab for processing.  Some pharmacies like Walgreens now have the equipment or nearby contract entity available to process the test in 15-30 minutes.  It's the same as the old test, but without the time required to send it to the lab and then have the results uploaded to the originating locations and customer, covering about two days of waiting time.

As the Pentagon's former Chief of International Science and Technology, I keep up on the logistics associated with testing.  I'm not surprised that Viking's staff may not all be aware of the latest information, although they clearly should be.  

Thank you for your very credible insights!

Edited by CCWineLover

This whole thread is making my head swim. Everyone doesn't seem to realize that the testing requirements are vastly different depending on where you are sailing FROM. Only those ocean cruises sailing from US ports have 48 hour testing requirements and only for those cruises will Viking accept a rapid antigen rather than a PCR test. River cruises are a whole different kettle of fish all together depending on where you sail from, etc. 

That said, with the current regulations I reached out to Viking and got an email back explaining the following... we will be in Italy for 8 days before we join our cruise. We do not need to do a "72 hours before you leave home PCR test" for Viking. We need only concern ourselves with Italy's requirements for entry (right now PCR or antigen) AND we must have a PCR test done in Italy no more than 72 hours before we join the ship. We found a testing location in Rome to have that test done. 

I think my biggest complaint is the verbiage at MVJ that insists that Italy requires a PCR test for entry when they do not. We will do a rapid test the day before we fly to Italy and we will do the PCR test in Rome on Thursday morning (we sail Saturday), with results guaranteed same day or by 6 p.m. the following day. I don't like paying for a test in Rome when Viking will test us when we board, seems an unnecessary expense, but it is what they require. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, TinaLee said:

I think my biggest complaint is the verbiage at MVJ that insists that Italy requires a PCR test for entry when they do not. 

You get it. Viking states Italy only accepts PCR tests but includes a link to Italian tourism office that states PCR or Antigen.

On 11/11/2021 at 10:18 AM, TinaLee said:

This whole thread is making my head swim. Everyone doesn't seem to realize that the testing requirements are vastly different depending on where you are sailing FROM. Only those ocean cruises sailing from US ports have 48 hour testing requirements and only for those cruises will Viking accept a rapid antigen rather than a PCR test. River cruises are a whole different kettle of fish all together depending on where you sail from, etc. 

That said, with the current regulations I reached out to Viking and got an email back explaining the following... we will be in Italy for 8 days before we join our cruise. We do not need to do a "72 hours before you leave home PCR test" for Viking. We need only concern ourselves with Italy's requirements for entry (right now PCR or antigen) AND we must have a PCR test done in Italy no more than 72 hours before we join the ship. We found a testing location in Rome to have that test done. 

I think my biggest complaint is the verbiage at MVJ that insists that Italy requires a PCR test for entry when they do not. We will do a rapid test the day before we fly to Italy and we will do the PCR test in Rome on Thursday morning (we sail Saturday), with results guaranteed same day or by 6 p.m. the following day. I don't like paying for a test in Rome when Viking will test us when we board, seems an unnecessary expense, but it is what they require. 

We will need a PCR test in Rome for our January Viking cruise.  Can you please give the information for the testing location in Rome?  We are staying in the Via Veneto area.

On 11/11/2021 at 3:18 PM, TinaLee said:

We too will be spending time in Italy prior to our cruise. But in our case, we have to get the PCR test before arrival — because we’re doing a Viking pre-cruise extension. And Viking’s latest documentation says we need a PCR test prior to our “first Viking activity.” 

On 11/12/2021 at 11:51 PM, Tutuma said:

We will need a PCR test in Rome for our January Viking cruise.  Can you please give the information for the testing location in Rome?  We are staying in the Via Veneto area.

We are staying next to the Pantheon, so we plan to use Synlab Centro Storico, which is right around the corner from us. Any Synlab location would work, and I think Artemisia Lab might be close to where you're staying. It is on the Via Piave, so maybe a 15 minute walk? 

On 11/13/2021 at 8:53 AM, Twitchly said:

We too will be spending time in Italy prior to our cruise. But in our case, we have to get the PCR test before arrival — because we’re doing a Viking pre-cruise extension. And Viking’s latest documentation says we need a PCR test prior to our “first Viking activity.” 

Exactly, if you're on a Viking extension then you need the PCR test 72 hours before you arrive in Italy. Since we don't join them for 8 days and have to do the PCR in Rome before we do, all we need is the antigen test to gain entry into Italy (and then the PCR in Rome). 

13 minutes ago, basenji56 said:

I am still trying to figure out if I need the PCR test 72 hours before the cruise leaves San Juan or 72 hours before my flight to San Juan (the day before).

Since Puerto Rico is part of the US and is therefore under the CDC’s regulation, you would need to test no more than 2 days prior to embarkation of the ship and can do a PCR, NAAT, or antigen test. 

Edited by zelker

53 minutes ago, zelker said:

Since Puerto Rico is part of the US and is therefore under the CDC’s regulation, you would need to test no more than 2 days prior to embarkation of the ship and can do a PCR, NAAT, or antigen test. 

So, the Abbott at home proctored test would work?  Here is what was on the Resources page.  My cruise is December 13th.

Viking requires all guests take a COVID-19 PCR test prior to departure

Viking is committed to doing all we can to ensure you are healthy and well prepared for international travel—and that you will be able to arrive in your destination and embark your ship without incident. Effective for departures through December 31, 2021, Viking will require all guests to take a COVID-19 PCR test within 72 hours of boarding their first outbound flight from their home country.

PCR tests are considered the gold standard for COVID-19 compared to antigen “rapid” tests; as such, PCR is also Viking’s diagnostics platform for testing on board our vessels. Traveling with a copy of your negative PCR test result is an added layer of protection for you and your fellow travelers—and will be required for embarkation on your Viking ship.

To find a testing location near you, follow the link* below. Please note:

• When selecting a testing location, make sure it provides COVID-19 PCR tests.
  • Call the testing location before you schedule an appointment to confirm it can deliver the test result prior to your departure.
  • There may be a charge at some testing locations.
It is important to note that while Viking requires a test taken 72 hours prior to departure, some countries have different testing requirements for entry. If you are currently booked on a Viking voyage, please read the Pre-Cruise Requirements found under the Resources tab of your itinerary page on the Viking website and follow all guidelines that Viking provides via email and on MyVikingJourney.com.

FIND A COVID-19 TESTING LOCATION NEAR YOU  

12 minutes ago, basenji56 said:

So, the Abbott at home proctored test would work?  Here is what was on the Resources page.  My cruise is December 13th.

Viking requires all guests take a COVID-19 PCR test prior to departure

Viking is committed to doing all we can to ensure you are healthy and well prepared for international travel—and that you will be able to arrive in your destination and embark your ship without incident. Effective for departures through December 31, 2021, Viking will require all guests to take a COVID-19 PCR test within 72 hours of boarding their first outbound flight from their home country.

A couple things - Assuming your doing the West Indies Explorer, I just looked at your cruise and there is nothing showing up about testing under Resources.  Strange.  If it were me, I'd be emailing tellus@vikingcruises.com and asking them to clarify.  And as we've seen from Viking regarding testing requirements from US ports, they flip-flop from day to day (I know this because we embark Orion in FLL in two days).  Regarding the proctored home test, several people have reported that they have received confirmation from Guest Relations that it will be accepted for US port embarkations.

Good luck!

Edited by zelker

3 hours ago, zelker said:

A couple things - Assuming your doing the West Indies Explorer, I just looked at your cruise and there is nothing showing up about testing under Resources.  Strange.  If it were me, I'd be emailing tellus@vikingcruises.com and asking them to clarify.  And as we've seen from Viking regarding testing requirements from US ports, they flip-flop from day to day (I know this because we embark Orion in FLL in two days).  Regarding the proctored home test, several people have reported that they have received confirmation from Guest Relations that it will be accepted for US port embarkations.

Good luck!

My Travel Agent called them this morning and this is what she was told when she called Viking: 

"You have to take the PCR test..

"Need to take test within the 72-hour window of your flight.
So let's say your flight leaves an 10 am on the 12 December you would need to take the test
on the 9th of December after 10:00am."

Whether this will continue to be what they want is a good question.  I will try the email address.  Thanks.  

5 hours ago, basenji56 said:

My Travel Agent called them this morning and this is what she was told when she called Viking: 

"You have to take the PCR test..

"Need to take test within the 72-hour window of your flight.
So let's say your flight leaves an 10 am on the 12 December you would need to take the test
on the 9th of December after 10:00am."

Whether this will continue to be what they want is a good question.  I will try the email address.  Thanks.  

Your info is correct.  Additionally I have been told by travelers with firsthand experience, that Italy is accepting PCR, ID NOW, Rapid Antigen and BinaxNOW proctored tests. This is also the case for Switzerland.

Edited by rbslos18

• 1 month later...
8 hours ago, DinnyClaire said:

I may be wrong, but wouldn't Viking post all the 'requirements' on "My Viking Journey" or include with paperwork?  We don't leave until April for the British Isles and I am expecting changes between now and then. 

We are currently on the Sky which left Italy on 12/22. No one at FCO asked to see any COVID test. For our cruise, Viking only accepted PCR COVID tests. At the dock the Viking staff member who checked us in said: “Please show me your PCR test.” Given Italy accepts either a proctored Antigen test or a PCR test and Viking currently will only accept a PC test, I would go with the PCR test.

MVJ did have updates on the test requirements. The last update was 6 days before departure. 

1 hour ago, LinnieRed said:

I think that it depends on where your cruise leaves from where the cruise departs from Los Angeles and we can get a proctored antigen test

7608603A-EF79-419D-AC35-2E09B981553D.png

We left from Los Angeles on December 20.  Because we left home on 12/17, we needed to arrange for some sort of test to be done on the 18th or 19th in LA -- with the assurance that we would have the results before we boarded on Monday. CVS didn't do any sort of rapid testing.  Another place that convenient was to our location in Glendale did not open on weekend.  I was going crazy.  

After much searching, I found CARBON HEALTH.  They have multiple locations in LA -- including one in LONG BEACH.  They do travel testing with results in a few hours.  However, they do not accept health insurance but will provide paper work for you to submit to your health insurance carrier.  They have location around the country.  

To make an appointment, you must work through their app/website, either on your desktop or a mobile device.  Each adult must have their own account.  I signed up using desktop AND put the app on my mobile to access on the road.  Heads up:  The app confused me because it kept changing time zones.  I wanted a 1pm test; it told me I had a 4pm appt, because I was making the appt from the east coast.  

The test process itself was quick.  The people at the test station were warm and welcoming and no "attitude."  (What a change from healthcare where I live). We were out of the parking lot before our second appointment was scheduled to begin. And by that point, the receptionist had already told how to get the paperwork off the website. 

I’ve been checking schengenvisainfo.com for EU/Schengen countries. They have links to the specific country information. We’re double and triple checking requirements.

If the country requires a PCR test, we assume we will be checked by the official that will not accept a document that says NAAT.
I’m also checking the transit rules. The airports have different rules and country admission can be affected by recent travel or transit. Italy currently has a restriction if you have transited through certain countries in the past 14 days tourists can not enter.