Negative Covid Test Required

JimmB

30 minutes ago, alidor said:

I must admit I’m getting a bit concerned about boarding.  We are on a January 2 cruise and leaving home on the 1st.  We also live in a small town (BLuffton, SC].  Where in the world am I suppose to find a testing site around here on December 31??

Exactly.

We are on Venus 29th Dec from Rome.  In the UK both the 27th and 28th are Bank Holidays - as Christmas Day and Boxing Day are at the weekend.  Not sure what we will do.  We do live fairly close to Heathrow so I assume we can go there on the 27th - so far it seems much more expensive than other facilities nearer to home.

Just hope that someone actually checks the PCR result ?  

1 hour ago, alidor said:

I must admit I’m getting a bit concerned about boarding.  We are on a January 2 cruise and leaving home on the 1st.  We also live in a small town (BLuffton, SC].  Where in the world am I suppose to find a testing site around here on December 31??

I bet pharmacies like Walgreens/CVS will be open on New Year's Eve day to do the test.  

What a total mess Viking has created with mis-information, untrained staff, and putting out contradictory answers to passenger questions so that no one really knows what is real.   I'm a big Viking fan, but this is getting absurd.   Seems at the very least this should have all been worked out last summer, when the Delta variant was running rampant!   Is Viking suddenly getting scared?

• Like 4

In August I was on the first Viking Rhine River cruise post Covid shutdown---Amsterdam to Basel.  The Viking website for my cruise gave instructions on how to find a 72hr PCR testing facility near my home.  You could also Google to find one near you.  The paper result was required to check in for the flight to Amsterdam.  Viking's strict attention to Covid protocol required full vaccination for all guests and crew, masks in public areas and daily sputum rapid tests (test tubes and envelopes with our names were left each night in our cabin).  I felt safer on that cruise than I had felt in months prior while in my hometown environment.  Also, the use of the VeriFly phone app was easy to use and helpful at all stages of travel.  Perhaps some of the confusion being experienced is not the fault of Viking, but is a result of various countries changing their own protocol and requirements.

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, CCWineLover said:

What a total mess Viking has created with mis-information, untrained staff, and putting out contradictory answers to passenger questions so that no one really knows what is real.   I'm a big Viking fan, but this is getting absurd.   Seems at the very least this should have all been worked out last summer, when the Delta variant was running rampant!   Is Viking suddenly getting scared?

Could be an abundance of caution, as based on the data put out by our Provincial Health, the infection rates among fully vaccinated are increasing slowly.

Most of Metro Vancouver has achieved about 90% fully vaccinated, so we should be at herd immunity, but the percentage of fully vaccinated getting infected is slowly increasing. Last month, the data showed about 25% of new infections were among those fully vaccinated, but this week they are reporting it is just over 30%. Fortunately, the number of fully vaccinated in hospital/ICU is minimal.

Is this caused by variants being more resistent to the vaccine, or that we need boosters earlier, our Provincial Health/BC CDC isn't publishing that data yet, if it is available.

Cruise lines must tread carefully, as if they experience another Diamond Princess, Ruby Princess or Zaandam incident, cruising will again be shut down. If that happens, how many will survive?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, zelker said:

It's bad enough worrying about testing NOT over a holiday weekend.  

Agreed.
We ran into Labor Day. Results never received before boarding. At that time test was Highly Recommended by Viking. Neither airlines, nor Malta entry nor Viking boarding asked for our test results.
Thankfully!
Not cruising until these must have PCR with confusing time restrictions go away.

Edited by philw1776
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Heidi13 said:

Could be an abundance of caution, as based on the data put out by our Provincial Health, the infection rates among fully vaccinated are increasing slowly.

Most of Metro Vancouver has achieved about 90% fully vaccinated, so we should be at herd immunity, but the percentage of fully vaccinated getting infected is slowly increasing. Last month, the data showed about 25% of new infections were among those fully vaccinated, but this week they are reporting it is just over 30%. Fortunately, the number of fully vaccinated in hospital/ICU is minimal.

Is this caused by variants being more resistent to the vaccine, or that we need boosters earlier, our Provincial Health/BC CDC isn't publishing that data yet, if it is available.

Cruise lines must tread carefully, as if they experience another Diamond Princess, Ruby Princess or Zaandam incident, cruising will again be shut down. If that happens, how many will survive?

Re member this is a numbers game. If 100% of people are vaccinated then 100% of all new infections will be of the vaccinated… what’s more pertinent is the overall case load

• Like 2

1 hour ago, formerskygoddess said:

In August I was on the first Viking Rhine River cruise post Covid shutdown---Amsterdam to Basel.  The Viking website for my cruise gave instructions on how to find a 72hr PCR testing facility near my home.  You could also Google to find one near you.  The paper result was required to check in for the flight to Amsterdam.  Viking's strict attention to Covid protocol required full vaccination for all guests and crew, masks in public areas and daily sputum rapid tests (test tubes and envelopes with our names were left each night in our cabin).  I felt safer on that cruise than I had felt in months prior while in my hometown environment.  Also, the use of the VeriFly phone app was easy to use and helpful at all stages of travel.  Perhaps some of the confusion being experienced is not the fault of Viking, but is a result of various countries changing their own protocol and requirements.

Viking website & Google to find a PCR testing site for TRAVEL near me is worthless. The Viking website even says, check with the facility to see what their requirements are. I’ve called every pharmacy and health care facility near me, with the exception, for now, of Seattle (I’m on Bainbridge Island on the Kitsap Peninsula), and NONE do testing for travel, with the exception of ONE over an hour away which gives turnaround in three days and would not be open on Thanksgiving (we’re traveling the day after).

I’ve counted up three different/conflicting sets of information for our travel requirements, all on MVJ under the same travel alert. There are three other sets floating around for other cruises in other parts of the world. The mis-information is off the charts!

• Like 6

12 minutes ago, formernuke said:

Re member this is a numbers game. If 100% of people are vaccinated then 100% of all new infections will be of the vaccinated… what’s more pertinent is the overall case load

Totally agree it's a numbers game and I have no doubt that Viking are monitoring data from their primary customer bases, showing the rates of infection within the fully vaccinated, as with everyone onboard fully vaccinated, that is the best indicator of potential problems.

With the disparity of vaccination rates throughout our Province, the Provincial total daily infection rate is not a great indicator, of our risk factors, in Metro Vancouver, as most infections are in more rural areas. When they provide data of # infections/100,000 by city, it is more meaningful, especially when they include the breakdown of numbers by vaccinated/unvaccinated, as it shows trends. 

Some of the best data we receive is the number of infections, hospitalisations & ICU, per 100,000 for both vaccinated and unvaccinated. This data provides a much clearer picture than just the total daily infections.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, formernuke said:

Yes, exactly. That’s why it bugs me when  the media breathlessly announces things like “One third of all new cases are among the vaccinated!” and people — and governments — start assuming vaccinations don’t prevent infection. But if nearly 100% of your population is vaccinated, then most of your infections will take place among vaccinated people because they make up most of the population. The percentage game changes as more people are vaccinated. 

Far more helpful and actionable are the actual caseload numbers. Or the percentage of vaccinated people who have breakthrough infection. Not total population percentages.

Stepping off soapbox now.

EDIT: And I see Heidi13 just posted the same thing at the same time. Great minds, etc.

Edited by Twitchly
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, kjbacon said:

The place we go for tests sends your results by text message and email. Will this be acceptable to Viking?

Honestly--don't even think of traveling without paper copies of your test results.

The only cruises we have done so far required travel visas (Bermuda and Bahamas) so that was done online.

But both Crystal and Viking specifically directed that we should have paper copies of the test results.

Really depends where you are flying and boarding. 

But have paper copies--what if you lose your phone?

3 hours ago, kjbacon said:

The place we go for tests sends your results by text message and email. Will this be acceptable to Viking?

4 minutes ago, broker1217 said:

Honestly--don't even think of traveling without paper copies of your test results.

The only cruises we have done so far required travel visas (Bermuda and Bahamas) so that was done online.

But both Crystal and Viking specifically directed that we should have paper copies of the test results.

Really depends where you are flying and boarding. 

But have paper copies--what if you lose your phone?

All one needs to do is print out a copy received via text or email.  No worries.  

16 minutes ago, zelker said:

All one needs to do is print out a copy received via text or email.  No worries.  

Precisely. And have copies in your photos on your phone and in your email.

Put a paper copy in your carry-on and also in your checked bag.

Same for your vaccination card---paper copy in your checked bag, photos on your phone, plus emailed photos so you could access if your phone is lost/stolen. 

View your test results and your vaccination card as precious as your passport.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, LindaS272 said:

Viking website & Google to find a PCR testing site for TRAVEL near me is worthless. The Viking website even says, check with the facility to see what their requirements are. I’ve called every pharmacy and health care facility near me, with the exception, for now, of Seattle (I’m on Bainbridge Island on the Kitsap Peninsula), and NONE do testing for travel, with the exception of ONE over an hour away which gives turnaround in three days and would not be open on Thanksgiving (we’re traveling the day after).

I’ve counted up three different/conflicting sets of information for our travel requirements, all on MVJ under the same travel alert. There are three other sets floating around for other cruises in other parts of the world. The mis-information is off the charts!

Hi Linda,

Are you on the Nov. 26 Central America/ Canal cruise as we are?  It is the Thanksgiving holiday that gives us concern about getting PCR results back in 2 days.  

Your note caught my attention since we are native Seattleites. My brother lives on Bainbridge and we know your island well.  I assume you would need to drive to Poulsbo or Bremerton or maybe even to ferry over to Seattle to to find a testing pharmacy?

We now live in a small town outside of Louisville, Ky and our testing options are not many.  However, after reading about the concerns Viking cruisers have about definite requirements, my anxiety level have dropped.  Viking wants us on board, they will help us to make that happen.  

Jan

4 hours ago, jmfdr said:

Hi Linda,

Are you on the Nov. 26 Central America/ Canal cruise as we are?  It is the Thanksgiving holiday that gives us concern about getting PCR results back in 2 days.  

Your note caught my attention since we are native Seattleites. My brother lives on Bainbridge and we know your island well.  I assume you would need to drive to Poulsbo or Bremerton or maybe even to ferry over to Seattle to to find a testing pharmacy?

We now live in a small town outside of Louisville, Ky and our testing options are not many.  However, after reading about the concerns Viking cruisers have about definite requirements, my anxiety level have dropped.  Viking wants us on board, they will help us to make that happen.  

Jan

Hi Jan, 

Well, you’re more optimistic than I am! There are no testing pharmacies in Poulsbo that will do a Covid test for travel. There is a Walgreens in Bremerton but their turnaround time is two to three days, and we’re talking over Thanksgiving weekend, so I presume it will be longer than that. We are on the TA from Barcelona to San Juan, leaving home on Nov. 26.

There’s a quick turnaround testing place on Capitol Hill in Seattle which is workable if we truly only have to get a test within 72 hours of our first flight, which we could do on Tuesday with results back on Wednesday. But it surely sounds to me that we will instead need to be tested within 72 hours of embarking the ship in Barcelona on the 29th. So we will have to get a test at or near the airport on the day we fly out. There are two there—one with one day results for $179; one with 60 minute results for $250. Great choices (sarcasm). 😏

11 hours ago, broker1217 said:

Precisely. And have copies in your photos on your phone and in your email.

Put a paper copy in your carry-on and also in your checked bag.

Same for your vaccination card---paper copy in your checked bag, photos on your phone, plus emailed photos so you could access if your phone is lost/stolen. 

View your test results and your vaccination card as precious as your passport.

My printed out copy of the texted/emailed test results is easy to do. As long as a paper copy from the testing facility isn’t required, we should be all set. I’m inclined to put my original vaccine card and my paper copy of my negative test in the same lanyard around my neck (and copies of everything, everywhere!).

5 hours ago, kjbacon said:

My printed out copy of the texted/emailed test results is easy to do. As long as a paper copy from the testing facility isn’t required, we should be all set. I’m inclined to put my original vaccine card and my paper copy of my negative test in the same lanyard around my neck (and copies of everything, everywhere!).

Not sure why you think you'll need to carry around your test and vaccine card but if you do, for sure I would not wear the original vax card.

21 hours ago, kjbacon said:

No.  On several of their Pre Cruise Requirement pages they clearly state the results must be presented in Paper /Electronic form ( No Text ).  Whether or not a text printed off would be considered an electronic form or not I am not sure, but would not take the chance.  Perhaps your testing company would be able to give a paper or another type of non text form.

17 hours ago, LindaS272 said:

Hi Jan, 

Well, you’re more optimistic than I am! There are no testing pharmacies in Poulsbo that will do a Covid test for travel. There is a Walgreens in Bremerton but their turnaround time is two to three days, and we’re talking over Thanksgiving weekend, so I presume it will be longer than that. We are on the TA from Barcelona to San Juan, leaving home on Nov. 26.

There’s a quick turnaround testing place on Capitol Hill in Seattle which is workable if we truly only have to get a test within 72 hours of our first flight, which we could do on Tuesday with results back on Wednesday. But it surely sounds to me that we will instead need to be tested within 72 hours of embarking the ship in Barcelona on the 29th. So we will have to get a test at or near the airport on the day we fly out. There are two there—one with one day results for $179; one with 60 minute results for $250. Great choices (sarcasm). 😏

Bend the truth?  

Just as an FYI, on 15 October Viking updated their Covid testing requirements for International travel under the Resources Tab for the trip you are taking.  Much more clarification that before.  You have to figure out what is Viking's requirement and what is the requirement of the country that you are visiting.  They are not always the same thing. 

I think that the things you have to look at is -

1. What are the testing requirement of the country that you are visiting.  That will supersede Viking's requirement and they say this in their requirement page. Such as The Netherlands that requires a Covid test 48 hours before you arrive in The Netherlands .So if you are going there, don't be taking a test in the US 72 hours prior to departure !  They clarify what you need to do if you are travelling independently and arrive before the cruise. 

2. If the country that you are traveling to does not require pre arrival testing ( such as France ,Germany,  Spain) , then you need to follow Viking's requirement of 72 hours before your first Viking Experience ( be it the cruise or Viking pre cruise experience) . Again, if you are travelling independently and arrive in the country more than 72 hours before your first Viking experience, then you will need to test in that country in order to board the ship.  

Look on that Resource page for the exact requirements for your trip. 

It does look like Viking has been listening to all the confusion of many of their passengers and is trying to be much more clear on what needs to be done, but you do need to check out the requirements on that Resource page and not so much what is on MVJ for the moment.  

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, vslparis said:

2. If the country that you are traveling to does not require pre arrival testing ( such as France ,Germany,  Spain) , then you need to follow Viking's requirement of 72 hours before your first Viking Experience ( be it the cruise or Viking pre cruise experience) . Again, if you are travelling independently and arrive in the country more than 72 hours before your first Viking experience, then you will need to test in that country in order to board the ship.  

Look on that Resource page for the exact requirements for your trip. 

It does look like Viking has been listening to all the confusion of many of their passengers and is trying to be much more clear on what needs to be done, but you do need to check out the requirements on that Resource page and not so much what is on MVJ for the moment.  

Sadly, this does not clear up the requirement for our specific situation for our TA Nov. 29 from Barcelona to San Juan. Folks on our roll call are trying to get clarification, but get different answers, and the documentation is still all over the map.

Specifically, we (and others on our roll call) are flying from home on Nov. 26, arriving in Barcelona on Nov. 27 (some arrive Nov. 26). The Oct. 15 documentation for our itinerary only says 72 hours before your first flight from home. Elsewhere on MVJ it says 72 hours before first Viking activity. Viking is not clearing this up for those of us not doing a pre-extension. In fact, one Viking agent has communicated to one of our members that we may have to take TWO tests—before first flight and once arriving in the country. Impossible to sort out so far, and I fail to see how a test before first flight meets their other onerous requirement of 72 hours before joining ship when we may have to get a test in Spain and get results before boarding. We fly on the Thanksgiving holiday, and any testing in Spain would be over a weekend. Why is Viking layering on this stuff and not taking care of their clients? Providing inconsistent information in MVJ—which says THREE conflicting things, isn’t helpful at all. One says we strongly RECOMMEND getting a PCR test; one says REQUIRED within 72-hours of first flight; one says REQUIRED 72-hours before first Viking activity. Nowhere does it address the Thanksgiving holiday or the Spanish weekend. And as I’ve mentioned before, their link for PCR testing in my area is worthless. 🤯😤

• Like 1

17 hours ago, zelker said:

Not sure why you think you'll need to carry around your test and vaccine card but if you do, for sure I would not wear the original vax card.

Trying to clarify here … is my original vaccine card required or is a copy acceptable?

Is my printed copy of my emailed Covid test result acceptable or is a printed Covid test result from the testing facility required?

I will be ok with whatever the policy is but I must say that I wish the policy was all around clearer!