Bourbon available in bars

nlktx49

1 hour ago, Luckysll said:

Just by coincidence, I was going to ask this same question.

I was looking at ordering Crown Royal from Carnival's Food & Beverages, and the only one I saw was Seagrams 7 Whiskey, which is a Canadian whiskey.  Here in Canada, I can say "rye and ginger ale" and get a Canadian whiskey, but I learned a long time ago that while I'm in the US, I have to specify a brand or I get bourbon.

I hope there are other brands of Canadian whiskey on board, but if not, I'll just get used to "Seagrams and ginger ale".

Technically in the US, Bourbon has to come from at least 51% corn mash and Rye from at least 51% rye. Bourbon also has to come from a specific region.

They make rye whiskey in the US, too.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MississippiMike said:

On that note, anyone know of bottles like that in the duty free shop?

First time cruising.. not sure what to expect. Can't wait till 1.22.22 

There are usually duty free shops as soon as you get off the ship that may have a wider selection than onboard. You're limited to bringing home 1 bottle per adult but, declare a few bottles and they almost always wave you thru Customs. With the new facial recognition, I'm not even sure if they question anyone. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, nlktx49 said:

I broke the news to my husband that Crown Royal is no longer available at bars onboard ships. He asked what other brands of bourbon are available. Can someone who had cruised recently help me with this information? 

After googling the difference between bourbon and whiskey, found that the term bourbon is only used for whiskey made in the US, and 90% of that is made in Kentucky. Bourbon also has corn in its ingredients while whiskey doesn't. Some of the whiskey listed for sale on Carnival is Woodford Reserve and Jameson Irish Whiskey.  Jack Daniels bourbon is also available. If I didn't get that right, I'm sure I'll hear about it!!

3 minutes ago, nlktx49 said:

After googling the difference between bourbon and whiskey, found that the term bourbon is only used for whiskey made in the US, and 90% of that is made in Kentucky. Bourbon also has corn in its ingredients while whiskey doesn't. Some of the whiskey listed for sale on Carnival is Woodford Reserve and Jameson Irish Whiskey.  Jack Daniels bourbon is also available. If I didn't get that right, I'm sure I'll hear about it!!

Jack Daniel's is not bourbon

2 minutes ago, nlktx49 said:

Jack Daniels bourbon is also available. If I didn't get that right, I'm sure I'll hear about it!!

Jack Daniels is not a bourbon, but Tennessee whiskey because it doesn't come from Bourbon County Kentucky.

2 minutes ago, nlktx49 said:

Ughhhh no...

Bourbon is Whiskey. 

Not all whiskey is Bourbon 

that's the easy way to remember it

Both whiskey and bourbon CAN have corn. 

Bourbon REQUIRES 51% corn.  Whiskey does not. MOST American Whiskeys DO have the majority CORN but are NOT Bourbon because they DO NOT use a NEW Charred Oak barrel. If it is a USED barrel.. it's not Bourbon. 

Almost in America if it's over 51% rye it's called.. a RYE. A Bourbon CAN and usually does have RYE but it must make us less than 51%. 

You DID get one then right though.. Jack Daniels IS a BOURBON no matter what there branding says. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, nlktx49 said:

I thought you were kidding, but this really exists! I'd buy it just for the name.

If you can even find it. Some of these are so hot right now our state has a lottery system for the chance to buy a bottle. Some can go for hundreds of dollars.

4 minutes ago, nlktx49 said:

I thought you were kidding, but this really exists! I'd buy it just for the name.

Best of luck EVER finding it in your lifetime... most sough after (though way over hyped) bourbon ever. 

and there are 5 different age statements for the Bourbons. Plus the 1 rye. 

5 minutes ago, MississippiMike said:

Ughhhh no...

Bourbon is Whiskey. 

Bourbon REQUIRES 51% corn.  Whiskey does not. MOST American Whiskeys DO have the majority CORN but are NOT Bourbon because they DO NOT use a NEW Charred Oak barrel. If it is a USED barrel.. it's not Bourbon. 

Almost in America if it's over 51% rye it's called.. a RYE. A Bourbon CAN and usually does have RYE but it must make us less than 51%. 

You DID get one then right though.. Jack Daniels IS a BOURBON no matter what there branding says. 

Wrong, only on the last point Mike.  Jack is NOT bourbon.  Originally the government insisted that Jack Daniels should be classified as bourbon, but the Motlow's insisted their process was unique.  After a demonstration for the Fed's "Alcohol Tax Unit", a few years after prohibition was lifted in Tennessee (later than the the Federal repeal), the government issued the official declaration: Jack Daniels is not bourbon.  Bourbons are REQUIRED to use the word BOURBON on the label.  Jack does not, because as it always intended, it is not.

1941%2BTreasury%2Bletter.jpg

• Thanks 1

The Federal Standards of Identity for Distilled Spirits under the US Code (27 CFR 5) state that bourbon must meet these requirements:

Bourbon must be made of a grain mixture that is at least 51% corn.
Bourbon must be distilled to no more than 160 (U.S.) proof (80% alcohol by volume).
Bourbon must be aged in new, charred oak barrels.
Bourbon may not be introduced to the barrel at higher than 125 proof (62.5% alcohol by volume).
Bourbon which meets the above requirements and has been aged for a minimum of two years, may (but is not required to) be called Straight Bourbon.
Bourbon aged for a period less than four years must be labeled with the duration of its aging.
If an age is stated on the label, it must be the age of the youngest whiskey in the bottle.
Only whiskey produced in the United States can be called bourbon.

13 minutes ago, MississippiMike said:

Ughhhh no...

Bourbon is Whiskey. 

Tennessee Whiskey is filtered through charcoal before going into the barrel, whereas Bourbon isn't.

10 minutes ago, IntrepidFromDC said:

Wrong, only on the last point Mike.  Jack is NOT bourbon.  Originally the government insisted that Jack Daniels should be classified as bourbon, but the Motlow's insisted their process was unique.  After a demonstration for the Fed's "Alcohol Tax Unit", a few years after prohibition was lifted in Tennessee (later than the the Federal repeal), the government issued the official declaration: Jack Daniels is not bourbon.  Bourbons are REQUIRED to use the word BOURBON on the label.  Jack does not, because as it always intended, it is not.

1941%2BTreasury%2Bletter.jpg

Alright I'll give in and agree I've never seen or heard of that letter. Either way unless it's SiB CS I'm not drinking it.. and then those still taste mostly like bananas. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

I was learned Bourbon had to come from Bourbon County, but apparently that is redneck legend.

Indeed it is. Bourbon can be made in any state in America. 

One of my favorite producers is actually Woodinville from Woodinville, Washington. 

and some good ones in my now home state of Texas. 

2 hours ago, MississippiMike said:

Thanks... I can't find it with listed times on any fun times under the drinks section for longer times. 

I hope that's true. If not, well I'll just prop up at the bar and set my timer to 5 minutes one day and get as many as I can in during the 2.5 hours lol. 

I don't think Vista has a Pig and Anchor, but a Red Frog Pub instead.

7 minutes ago, IntrepidFromDC said:

The Federal Standards of Identity for Distilled Spirits under the US Code (27 CFR 5) state that bourbon must meet these requirements:

Bourbon must be made of a grain mixture that is at least 51% corn.
Bourbon must be distilled to no more than 160 (U.S.) proof (80% alcohol by volume).
Bourbon must be aged in new, charred oak barrels.
Bourbon may not be introduced to the barrel at higher than 125 proof (62.5% alcohol by volume).
Bourbon which meets the above requirements and has been aged for a minimum of two years, may (but is not required to) be called Straight Bourbon.
Bourbon aged for a period less than four years must be labeled with the duration of its aging.
If an age is stated on the label, it must be the age of the youngest whiskey in the bottle.
Only whiskey produced in the United States can be called bourbon.

Yep... this past weekend we decided to make Light whiskey because we wanted to distill above 160 and get more interesting notes from the tails.  It's for a small group of 10 of us so we didn't care about the true designation. Everything else would have been meet. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, IntrepidFromDC said:

What's everybody's favorite sipping whiskey/whisky in the $40-$60 per bottle range?  Mine's "46" but there are so many people talk about that I haven't tried.

Oh boy.. this could blow up quickly... might need to break it off to a different thread... 

Michter's Bourbon is my go to neat pour. But I absolutely love anything cask strength made by Woodinville (have around 45 bottles) but you don't commonly see those sitting on the shelves. 

• Like 2