Only ship excursions in Nassau?

TickledBlue

Celebrity changed our Summit Nov 3 itinerary from a Key West stop to Nassau.   I'm not particularly thrilled with this (and I doubt any of my shipmates are either) but it is what it is.

According to Celebrity at:   https://www.celebritycruises.com/content/dam/celebrity/pdf/celebrity-healthy-at-sea-protocols.pdf

Western Caribbean Itineraries

Excursions provided by Celebrity Cruises are required in: Nassau. Guests can explore the destination on their own in: Roatan, Cozumel, Costa Maya and Belize.

----

Has anyone been to Nassau on Celebrity recently and this still really the case?   Or was this just not updated from earlier cruises? 

Currently they haven't updated the cruise planner shore excursions except to remove Key West.  Nassau isn't showing up there at all.

It would be nice if I could plan this stop a little ahead of time (3 weeks to go).

9 minutes ago, TickledBlue said:

Celebrity changed our Summit Nov 3 itinerary from a Key West stop to Nassau.   I'm not particularly thrilled with this (and I doubt any of my shipmates are either) but it is what it is.

According to Celebrity at:   https://www.celebritycruises.com/content/dam/celebrity/pdf/celebrity-healthy-at-sea-protocols.pdf

Western Caribbean Itineraries

Excursions provided by Celebrity Cruises are required in: Nassau. Guests can explore the destination on their own in: Roatan, Cozumel, Costa Maya and Belize.

----

Has anyone been to Nassau on Celebrity recently and this still really the case?   Or was this just not updated from earlier cruises? 

Currently they haven't updated the cruise planner shore excursions except to remove Key West.  Nassau isn't showing up there at all.

It would be nice if I could plan this stop a little ahead of time (3 weeks to go).

There was a post within the last few days from someone aboard saying that they had received a note in their cabin stating that this not a requirement for their cruise. I've no idea if this is a change not updated on the website or a one-off for that particular cruise.

If you follow either the Royal Caribbean or Celebrity pages on FB, you get totally contradicting answers on both sites.

Sounds like royal you can get off and do your own thing.  X  you can not. but 10 mintutes later someone posts the oposite

Apparently Royal Caribbean has allowed passengers to get off in Nassau,  Celebrity is not. That was the case for my cruise last month.  Don't know if changes have been made.  I"m sure this had something to  due with  Bahamian Government, not Celebrity. 

2 minutes ago, Missymo said:

Apparently Royal Caribbean has allowed passengers to get off in Nassau,  Celebrity is not. That was the case for my cruise last month.  Don't know if changes have been made.  I"m sure this had something to  due with  Bahamian Government, not Celebrity. 

I want to agree with you but other cruiselines. including Celebrity's sister company(owning company) is allowing cruisers off the ship. Just doesn't make sense why the Government would pick just 1 cruiseline.  Something just smells fishy.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TickledBlue said:

Read the 'live' blogs (always your best source) and you'll get both answers.  Certain X dockings have allowed for on-your-own in Nassau, irrespective of the web page that says otherwise.  Others have not.

Maybe it depends on whether there are other ships in port. Priority might go to the first ship that was scheduled to be there, with ships that switched from Gr Cayman, DR, or Key West in a lower chance of being allowed free wandering.

• Like 1

On 10/13/2021 at 8:43 PM, mayleeman said:

Maybe it depends on whether there are other ships in port. Priority might go to the first ship that was scheduled to be there, with ships that switched from Gr Cayman, DR, or Key West in a lower chance of being allowed free wandering.

What difference would it make which ship got there first? As long as there is space to dock why would it matter if people can get off on their own or not? Celebrity is routing all of their ships there now after cancelling Key West, Caymans, and DR. I am surprised the Bahamians are content to lose all that revenue from the thousands of Celebrity passengers who don't get off in Nassau. Maybe the parking fee is enough money to keep the government people happy, but this does nothing to help the local tour companies, cab drivers, or shops.

1 hour ago, susiesan said:

What difference would it make which ship got there first? As long as there is space to dock why would it matter if people can get off on their own or not? Celebrity is routing all of their ships there now after cancelling Key West, Caymans, and DR. I am surprised the Bahamians are content to lose all that revenue from the thousands of Celebrity passengers who don't get off in Nassau. Maybe the parking fee is enough money to keep the government people happy, but this does nothing to help the local tour companies, cab drivers, or shops.

It's quite possible the the Bahamian government has established a cap on the number of potential passengers it will allow to wander freely. Once the passenger load of arriving ships reaches that cap,  passengers on ships arriving later would be restricted to ship excursions. In all probability, it wouldn't be based on actual arrival time but the date when a port reservation was originally made.

As is so often the case, the government is faced with balancing safety protocols to protect the health of its citizens with the negative impact on the economy. While it would like all passengers to leave happy, I'm pretty sure that they are not going to put their pleasure ahead of protecting the health of its citizens.

• Like 1

Hi!  I was on the October 8th 9-night Equinox.  When we boarded there was a letter in our cabin with updated  information for each port.  We were allowed to get off in Nassau and be on our own.  There were a total of 3 ships in port that day.  

🍹