500.00 cancellation penalties

As I have seen it on the booking confirmations for my Dec. 5th Anthem of the Seas sailing, there were a lot of NRD promotional codes being applied since re-start, i.e. BOGO, Resident, and Save More. This was for everything from Inside Cabins to Balcony Staterooms, since I kept upgrading (and/or getting refunded) every time there was a price drop. 

During the online booking process I went thru last month for Sept. 2022 cruises, at one point the screen showed an option to select a REFUNDABLE deposit for a higher cruise price.  The default was a non-refundable deposit at a lower cruise price.  I found adequate info on the screen to understand what I was agreeing to.  I chose the non-refundable option to maintain the lower price.  

While the deposit is non-refundable, you can change it to a different cruise for a change fee of $100. On my reservation at least.  

Hasn’t Royal Caribbean had this choice for a while now?  I’ve read about it on CruiseCritic for a few years, I think. 

Edited by MeHeartCruising

1 hour ago, MeHeartCruising said:

During the online booking process I went thru last month for Sept. 2022 cruises, at one point the screen showed an option to select a REFUNDABLE deposit for a higher cruise price.  The default was a non-refundable deposit at a lower cruise price.  I found adequate info on the screen to understand what I was agreeing to.  I chose the non-refundable option to maintain the lower price.  

While the deposit is non-refundable, you can change it to a different cruise for a change fee of $100. On my reservation at least.  

Hasn’t Royal Caribbean had this choice for a while now?  I’ve read about it on CruiseCritic for a few years, I think. 

Interesting for many reasons. We initially did our own balcony and chose a gty ocean. Upon reviewing the co formation it was an accredited snide balcony. Now about a week later we called RC and got it straightened out for an gty ocean balcony. Then my husband noticed the price seemed cheaper. But tons it say no refundable etc etc. well we don’t plan to change but that helps to explain it. Thank you