Iona Deck 11 Aft Cabins

Megabear2

Assuming I ever get a satisfactory reply on the insurance issues from P&O, I am thinking of joining my family on Iona on 27th November cruise and moving my January 2022 Cunard Caribbean to something less risky on possible offloading and quarantine.

My brothers/sister have received their cabin notifications as being inside aft cabins on deck 11.  There is no availability in that area for me to book but there are a number of standard balconies showing, including 2 rear facing.

Has anyone who has already travelled on Iona been in any of the aft cabins in that area, please? I think I've read a review about vibrations but for the life of me cannot find it. I would, it appears, have to book select to avoid the promenade deck cabins and it would be just short of £2,000 for me as a single, although I could book a saver single cabin on a Saver for £1,300 or so on a different deck. Any help or advice much appreciated. Thank you.

The only aft balcony cabins I would be wary of would be definitely deck 9 and maybe deck 10 and 11 because the large white roof over the Sunset bar on deck 8 would interfere with your sea view.

Our cabin on a staycation was on deck 10 just aft of the aft elevator and there was no vibration.

We sat at the back of the ship by Sunset bar several times and never felt any vibration.

Graham.

Edited by grapau27

Thank you. I've now been offered deck 10 or 14 as an alternative.  Available are 14741, 11745, 11746 or 10742. Appears to have been a couple of cancellations as only 11746 available this morning.

Any opinions on which may be better?  Thanks for your help.

17 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

Thank you. I've now been offered deck 10 or 14 as an alternative.  Available are 14741, 11745, 11746 or 10742. Appears to have been a couple of cancellations as only 11746 available this morning.

Any opinions on which may be better?  Thanks for your help.

Either of the deck 11 cabins.

14741 is below the overflow from the infinity pool on deck 16 

Graham.

• 8 months later...
  • 10 months later...

I have never been on a cruise before but going with people that have,  They have stayed before in Deluxe Mid cabin but we are now looking at the Aft cabins and i am looking to book 11.743 too for the Norwegian Fjord cruise.  My apologies as was trying to see the responses to elieilleile but cannot see them,  Any help greatly appreciated and also has anyone had first hand experience of the white canopy spoiling their view?

Huge thanks

After recently returned from Iona and stood on deck watching children throwing water over the edge and thinking it was hilarious. Also read many reports on cruise forums and Faceache of balconies on aft of ship being constantly wet and unusable because it felt like it was raining all the time. I have couple of days ago changed my aft cabin on Arvia for September to a different cabin and will be doing the same for my cruise in April next week.

2 hours ago, majortom10 said:

After recently returned from Iona and stood on deck watching children throwing water over the edge and thinking it was hilarious. Also read many reports on cruise forums and Faceache of balconies on aft of ship being constantly wet and unusable because it felt like it was raining all the time. I have couple of days ago changed my aft cabin on Arvia for September to a different cabin and will be doing the same for my cruise in April next week.

It's not children splashing water over the edge of the pool that  causes the problem on the aft balconies, that falls harmlessly into the trough without any problem.

Unfortunately there is a constant flow of water from the gap in the bottom of the perspex/glass see through panel. In normal seas this usually hits the trough towards the bottom without any problem and runs smoothly down and is recycled back to the pool. However when there is any swell the water flows backwards and forwards with varying force and at its strongest it forces the water through the gap in the base of the panel which then hits the sloping trough wall with force which results in the splashing. Unfortunately I doubt that reducing the water level in the pool will have much effect on the splashing because there will still be sufficient force from any waves to have a very similar effect. Possibly a redesigned or higher trough wall might reduce the splashing, but I imagine that could only be done during a dry dock.

10 hours ago, majortom10 said:

We were on Arvia on the Easter cruise in a super deluxe cabin aft on deck 14 and there were children throwing water over the edge.  That was when we were in port at La Coruna, the worst affected balconys were the centre balconys from deck 11 to down deck 9.  There was an officer on the balcony of deck 10 who got soaked by the water.  Never saw water being thrown over after that.  

• Haha 1