thanksgiving cruise, antigen testing, and recent covid infection

midwestman

On 10/22/2021 at 2:24 PM, midwestman said:

I have a cruise booked for the Saturday after thanksgiving, and am flying down on Friday.  This does not leave much time available to get a test anywhere with the 48 hours.  

I'm in the same situation (except my cruise is leaving from Port Canaveral).  I'm planning for us to arrive in Orlando on Friday around 3 p.m. and get rapid tests at a CVS.  (CVS lets you make appointments a couple weeks in advance, so I won't have to worry about them being too busy or anything.)

I like the suggestion from another commenter -- get a rapid test right now, and if it's negative, you'll be able to enjoy not worrying about it for the next 4 weeks. :-)

On 10/22/2021 at 2:32 PM, Saint Greg said:

I would order the approved home test or test at the airport. Maybe schedule and airport test but use the home test first and if something goes wrong with the home test, go to the airport. 

https://testing.nomihealth.com/easy_registration/34/onsite

I have used the Nomi test site a couple of times in St. Augustine. They are open 7 days a week and extremely efficient process at no charge. I received my rapid test results before I got home 20 minutes later and my PCR test results were delivered the following afternoon.  I recommend them highly and haven’t heard of any cancellations of appts. They even take walk ins at my local site, not sure if they all do. It’s a great option worth looking into.

Edited by tree.critter
  • Like 1

For anyone still following this post,

I found information on the CDC website that acknowledges people can test positive for covid up to 90 days after recovery.  The page also said that for people that recently recovered from covid don't need a negative test; they should bring a copy of the positive test result along with a doctors note saying the person had completed the quarantine and is no longer contagious.

However, my wife tried to call Carnival about this, (was treated rudely) and the only answer she got was "you need negative test."  I tried calling and carnival wasn't even taking phone calls.  I messaged them through facebook and basically got a runaround response.  I tried email them via a guesthelp email...i got a weird automated response.  I'm tempted to email one of their customer relation executives.

I hope all my efforts aren't necessary...but my luck the past few months has been terrible.  Hopefully I can get a more solid answer and post it for anyone else in my situation.

On 10/22/2021 at 3:40 PM, midwestman said:

UGH...I am screwed.

Everything will be closed on Thanksgiving (Thursday,) then I fly early Friday to get to port.

Many urgent care places are open 7 days a week including holidays.  That's where I received my last test on a Saturday, they accepted insurance, and had well over 1000 quick tests in stock.

Everyone has to have proof of a negative test.

1 hour ago, midwestman said:

For anyone still following this post,

I found information on the CDC website that acknowledges people can test positive for covid up to 90 days after recovery.  The page also said that for people that recently recovered from covid don't need a negative test; they should bring a copy of the positive test result along with a doctors note saying the person had completed the quarantine and is no longer contagious.

However, my wife tried to call Carnival about this, (was treated rudely) and the only answer she got was "you need negative test."  I tried calling and carnival wasn't even taking phone calls.  I messaged them through facebook and basically got a runaround response.  I tried email them via a guesthelp email...i got a weird automated response.  I'm tempted to email one of their customer relation executives.

I hope all my efforts aren't necessary...but my luck the past few months has been terrible.  Hopefully I can get a more solid answer and post it for anyone else in my situation.

This has been asked before and Carnival is firm that you need a negative test.

John Heald discussed this on Facebook and pointed out that although the CDC says the testing postive for 90 days part.. it also requires negative tests for cruise ships.

So in fact its' the CDC that is confusing.

Either way you can't board with a positive Covid test.

Search this forum as a few people have posted how long it took them to test negative after getting Covid. It wasn't that long.

Carnival realizes that people cruising around Thanksgiving holiday or who are traveling earlier are having trouble arranging for the Covid test. So they will have testing at certain ports which you have to make an appointment. 

• Like 1

https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/notices/covid-3/coronavirus-cruise-ship

Information for people who recently recovered from COVID-19

• If you tested positive for COVID-19 in the past 3 months and met criteria to end isolation, you do NOT need to get tested before or after cruise travel unless you have symptoms. CDC has found that people can continue to test positive for up to 3 months after they had COVID-19 and not be infectious to others.
  • Travel with a copy of your positive test result and a letter from your healthcare or a public health official that states you have been cleared for travel. The positive test result and letter together are referred to as “documentation of recovery.” If you are asked by officials in a foreign country, you may be required to show this documentation.
  • You also do NOT need to self-quarantine after cruise travel if you have recently recovered from COVID-19, even if you are not fully vaccinated.
  • If you develop new symptoms of COVID-19, self-isolate and consult with a healthcare provier for testing recommendations.

I had Covid in the Middle of August , was hospitalized 12 days and released August 25th.. My boss asked me to return to work doing light duty such as answering phones in the middle of September. My doctor advised me to get a test to see if I was negative before returning to work. I tested NEGATIVE . I was still on oxygen and September 28 I returned to teaching. Kiddos in my class have been out sick. Tuesday my doctor diagnosed me with bronchitis but knowing my history did a covid rapid test and a flu test both of which were negative. Our cruise isn't until December 26th. right now I'm having issues with finding tests. I'm not confident of the proctored tests online because I am NOT super tech saavy!