Proctered Covid Tests

lostfancruiser

Thinking we should have a backup plan to the Walgreens test. We are going on a cruises Dec. 5. I am not a phone savvy person nor is my husband. I basically just make calls or text. Are there some instructions in the test kit on how to do it? The only other time I've done anything similar was a teleconference? on my phone with a doctors office prior to a (yuk) colonoscopy. 

Thanks in advance for any help. We are trying not to stress over this since there is enough in our daily lives these days!

3 minutes ago, lostfancruiser said:

Thanks for the quick responses. I know this sounds crazy, but I have a new phone and I don't know how to video chat so I guess I'll hit up my son or go to the place I bought the phone from and have one of the youngsters show me how! 

You can also go to their website on computer.  If might make it easier for you ( bigger screen and all that)  That is my plan...

I would do it on a computer. Phones have been successful, but the camera can switch from front facing to rear facing. If the test kit is not visible for the entire video, they are suppose to make it invalid. I would not want to chance this if I am not familiar with the system. A laptop on the other hand has a single camera. You just need to be sure it doesn't go into sleep mode.

• Like 1

yes, we used an iPad and the camera would switch from front to back. If I wasn't there my husband would have been scrambling trying to figure out how put his license etc up to the camera the right way. you also have to make sure the phone or whatever you use makes the test kit visible on the table for the 15 min you wait for the results. I would try to have your son or someone who is phone savvy to be there even though the procedure is fairly user freindly . We also had a CVS back up plan which we ended up not needing

• Like 1

I used my computer and my husband used his phone.  We both got through it, and you don't have to know how to video chat because it is part of the program you use to log in and set up an account.  If you have a young person to walk you through it- go for it.  Less stress that way. 🙂  But it is not too difficult and I am sure you can handle it if you can move your way around this message board.

• Like 1

This is a re-post....  followed by a video of an actual home test being performed...
========================
Abbot At-Home COVID test ….
If you really like specific details about how the process worked, read on below as you will get more details than maybe you ever needed or wanted.

For those interested at a high level: 1) yes the test came in a timely fashion, 2) yes the test was easy to administer, 3) yes you need to download the Navica app for each adult traveling and create an account, 4) yes you can do the live instruction on your phone (iPhones must use Safari) or your laptop/computer, and 5) yes, I confirmed from a Celebrity representative that the test may be taken any time 24/7 and tested that by taking mine at 6AM 2 days before our cruise.
Now on to the details:

Prior to the day you take your test, each adult must download the Navica app and create an account through the app. If you have a kid traveling with you, you can add them under your account as a managed account. Remember your password.

On the day you plan to take your test, go to emed.com and click the link that you are ready to take a test. If you do this on an iPhone, you must use Safari and not Chrome. You will be asked to enter the email and password you created in the Navica app and log in. Once you log on to emed.com and sign in using your Navica password, you will answer some basic questions. The site will remind you to wash your hands and have a photo ID. I recommend having a pair of scissors handy to break the seal (after they tell you to) and to open the test kit itself (after they tell you to).

Once you are ready, you click a link. Before you get connected, your device will display a message to test the sound and you click “start” on that. This is just making sure you have your sound on and turned up enough. Then, you will see that your video is being checked (you get a message to allow access to your video camera) as well as your WIFi strength (you don’t do anything for that) and then it auto-connects. We were connected to a person in less than 30 seconds each time. You will see yourself in the window and will hear the live instructor (no video for them).

I used my phone to administer my son’s test and my husband and I used our laptops. I found the laptop was easier as the person has to watch you open the box. So if you don’t have someone to hold the phone for you, it’s easier to just tilt the laptop screen down toward the table. We started the process at 6AM and did each of our tests separately going through the entire process each time and we were done by 7:20 (for 3 people). The test was easy to administer.

Once connected, the instructor will ask you for your name and DOB. Then they will ask you to place your ID in front of the camera (if you are using a phone, the camera will automatically switch to the back camera and you will show them your ID from the back camera and then it will switch back to the front camera).

Next, they ask you to lay the box flat on the table and position the camera so they can see the seal isn’t broken. Next, they will ask you to open it and get the contents out (sealed test kit, sealed swab, and bottle of drops).

When instructed, you will open the test kit and hold the barcode up to the camera. Then, they will ask you to place it open like a book on a table. Next, they will tell you to get the bottle of drops and drop 6 drops into the top hole (this is important to hit the hole with 6 drops).
Next, take the swab out of the paper without touching the swab end. While they are watching you, you will swab your left nostril 5 times in a circular pattern and then do your right. You will slide the swab into the bottom hole of the test kit and up into the top hole of the test kit. You will twist the swab 3 times to the right.

Then, you will remove an adhesive on the kit and close it up. The instructor will tell you not to touch the test kit and they they start a 15 minute timer and disconnect from you (the timer continues to count down). At this point, you can get up and walk around but you can’t touch your test kit. You can watch the liquid slowly travel up until the control line is pink like a pregnancy test. Obviously, you don’t want a second line to pop up.

Once the 15 minutes are up, you will get a notification and you will click a link to connect with a second person. You will verify yourself, scan the test kit barcode by holding it up to the camera, and go over the result with the instructor.
Once the result is verified by the person, they will email to you your result and it will show up in the Navica app. If you want to print it from your email, just follow the instructions on opening it as it is password protected.

That’s it. Although these details are lengthy, it really wasn’t difficult at all. I hope this was helpful.
====================

and a link to the video of an actual test being performed...

Edited by Barsnikel
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

25 minutes ago, vwrestler171 said:

They disconnect from you?  How do they ensure the integrity of the test if they no longer watch the test while the countdown is moving?

Because you seal the swab into the tester.  If that seal is broken....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, vwrestler171 said:

They disconnect from you?  How do they ensure the integrity of the test if they no longer watch the test while the countdown is moving?

The proctor leaves, but the test must remain on camera the whole time. If the test is moved, camera goes out, or anything else, the test is invalid. They just don't need someone staring at a test and being online with you for that 15 minutes.

32 minutes ago, BoozinCroozin said:

The proctor leaves, but the test must remain on camera the whole time. If the test is moved, camera goes out, or anything else, the test is invalid. They just don't need someone staring at a test and being online with you for that 15 minutes.

Ahh, I thought once they disconnected, the camera turned off.

Barsnikel-Thank you for the instructions. My only question would be about downloading the Navica app. Believe it or not my husband does not own a cell phone. You said each adult must download the app to create an account. Can we both do it on my phone or one laptop which will be my son's? Or can we go to the website on our home computer to set up the accounts. We will probably use my son's laptop to do the tests instead of my phone.

• Like 1

On 10/27/2021 at 9:40 PM, lostfancruiser said:

You said each adult must download the app to create an account. Can we both do it on my phone or one laptop which will be my son's?

Each person needs to create an account set-up using the NAVICA app. One device can be used for multiple people (with separate NAVICA accounts) to complete their individual tests (Users must log off - and the next user log on with their account).

One can use a smart phone (Best to have a stand to hold the phone so the proctor can see both the individual and the table where the test is), or one can use a PC/Laptop (with a camera) and log in via embed Web which has a link to the proctor site.

11 hours ago, grantbob said:

How do you use the results to check in at the port? Do you need to print something out or just show the app on your phone?

You get a PDF with the result. I haven't cruised with it, but I was able to upload the PDF to airline for international travel. Though they did ask me for "proof" again at the airport, I showed them the PDF on my phone.

• Like 1