San Juan - Current state of affairs (perspective from a local)

Aviator of the Seas

On 11/1/2021 at 3:41 AM, BoozinCroozin said:

As a resident and travel expert there, maybe you can help. We are visiting Old San Juan for the first time on Thanksgiving day. It is an early port day (8AM - 2PM). I know most of the government buildings and forts are closed for tours, but are there other places that may be open for a self-walking tour of the city?

Just walking round the Old City is a tour in itself, even if most things will be closed. I'd start along the La Princesa promenade, just west of the cruise ship docks. Walk up to the ancient Gate of San Juan. Here you can elect to walk all around the base of El Morro Fort, or go through the gate and up to your left to the La Rogativa monument for some great views, then up to the Cathedral. At the top of Cristo street you can also see the recently renovated San José Church. And again, just walking along the cobblestoned streets and the among the colorful architecture is a delight in itself.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

54 minutes ago, Aviator of the Seas said:

Just walking round the Old City is a tour in itself, even if most things will be closed. I'd start along the La Princesa promenade, just west of the cruise ship docks. Walk up to the ancient Gate of San Juan. Here you can elect to walk all around the base of El Morro Fort, or go through the gate and up to your left to the La Rogativa monument for some great views, then up to the Cathedral. At the top of Cristo street you can also see the recently renovated San José Church. And again, just walking along the cobblestoned streets and the among the colorful architecture is a delight in itself.

Thank you so much for your response. Our plan was to do a walking tour similar to this and just see the sights. I have a tentative list of things we want to see along the way and go from there. I am sure if necessary an Uber or taxi is around or can be called. Not planning on it, but if it should be necessary.

• Like 1

On 10/25/2021 at 7:11 PM, Aviator of the Seas said:

That's it for now. I hope to be able to answer any questions. I have like two slow-ish weeks ahead before it gets crazy again.

Thanks for the info Aviator.   We will be visiting by cruise ship in March.  We are in port 7:00 am - 4:00 pm.  We were hoping to eat somewhere in Old San Juan that will have traditional Puerto Rican food for lunch.  Any suggestions for somewhere that will be within walking distance of the cruise port?  Any favorite dishes we should look for?  TIA for your help.

On 11/3/2021 at 1:54 PM, CruisnDeb said:

Thanks for the info Aviator.   We will be visiting by cruise ship in March.  We are in port 7:00 am - 4:00 pm.  We were hoping to eat somewhere in Old San Juan that will have traditional Puerto Rican food for lunch.  Any suggestions for somewhere that will be within walking distance of the cruise port?  Any favorite dishes we should look for?  TIA for your help.

Hi, sorry, as a local I can't make any specific recommendations about restaurants or any kind of business, but overall, the favorite native dishes are rice and beans as a side dish to any meat, chicken or fish. And not just plain old beans. Puerto Rican beans are simmered in a complex mix of cooking ham, olives, sofrito, calabaza squash, cilantro, sazón and any other ingredient grandma would like to throw into the mix. Served usually with white rice. People here make it a competitive sport as to whose family makes the best beans. And then there's of course the mofongo, which has become very popular with visitors. It's fried and mashed green plantains, usually stiffed with meat, chicken or seafood. 

• Like 1

On 11/4/2021 at 9:40 PM, lieslt said:

Any tour company recommendations to use for rain forest tour?  We will be in San Juan in 2 weeks. Thx!

Sorry, but as a local I can't make any specific recommendations. Just make sure that whoever you ask, that they have permits for the actual U.S. Forest Service-run El Yunque National Forest. Right now those are very, very limited.

Right now your best chance of visiting the actual rainforest is through an unguided visit with your own rental car. Reservations through the U.S. Forest Service required. Or, you can write to your Congressman and demand that the U.S. Forest Service drop the tour vehicle capacity and entry limits so more tour operators can start offering the rainforest tours again.

Edited by Aviator of the Seas

19 minutes ago, Aviator of the Seas said:

Hi, sorry, as a local I can't make any specific recommendations about restaurants or any kind of business, but overall, the favorite native dishes are rice and beans as a side dish to any meat, chicken or fish. And not just plain old beans. Puerto Rican beans are simmered in a complex mix of cooking ham, olives, sofrito, calabaza squash, cilantro, sazón and any other ingredient grandma would like to throw into the mix. Served usually with white rice. People here make it a competitive sport as to whose family makes the best beans. And then there's of course the mofongo, which has become very popular with visitors. It's fried and mashed green plantains, usually stiffed with meat, chicken or seafood. 

I appreciate it. Thanks. 

2 hours ago, Aviator of the Seas said:

Sorry, but as a local I can't make any specific recommendations. Just make sure that whoever you ask, that they have permits for the actual U.S. Forest Service-run El Yunque National Forest. Right now those are very, very limited.

Right now your best chance of visiting the actual rainforest is through an unguided visit with your own rental car. Reservations through the U.S. Forest Service required. Or, you can write to your Congressman and demand that the U.S. Forest Service drop the tour vehicle capacity and entry limits so more tour operators can start offering the rainforest tours again.

Thank you!

Thank you for being so helpful here.  I am cruising nov 20th with 2 fully vaxxed parents and 1 unvaxxed 6yo.  We are flying in and I understand there is a travel declaration.   What type of test is required for my 6yo? Some places say antigen is fine...other say pcr is required.  Obviously I'll rely on official government travel info but what have you seen?  Thanks.

6 hours ago, drusierdmd said:

Thank you for being so helpful here.  I am cruising nov 20th with 2 fully vaxxed parents and 1 unvaxxed 6yo.  We are flying in and I understand there is a travel declaration.   What type of test is required for my 6yo? Some places say antigen is fine...other say pcr is required.  Obviously I'll rely on official government travel info but what have you seen?  Thanks.

If you don't mind someone else answering, either a PCR or antigen test is acceptable for your unvaccinated 6 yo.

Here's the official information from Puerto Rico's government:

https://www.travelsafe.pr.gov/

All persons entering Puerto Rico must:

form.png

Complete a Travel Declaration

Click here to complete your Online Travel Declaration Form.

and

eeuu.png

Everyone over 2 years old who is not fully vaccinated against COVID-19 with the Moderna, Pfizer or Janssen vaccines, must provide evidence of a negative molecular or antigen test for COVID-19 performed within the 72-hour period prior to your arrival to Puerto Rico.

35 minutes ago, njhorseman said:

If you don't mind someone else answering, either a PCR or antigen test is acceptable for your unvaccinated 6 yo.

Here's the official information from Puerto Rico's government:

https://www.travelsafe.pr.gov/

All persons entering Puerto Rico must:

form.png

Complete a Travel Declaration

Click here to complete your Online Travel Declaration Form.

and

eeuu.png

Everyone over 2 years old who is not fully vaccinated against COVID-19 with the Moderna, Pfizer or Janssen vaccines, must provide evidence of a negative molecular or antigen test for COVID-19 performed within the 72-hour period prior to your arrival to Puerto Rico.

Thank you.  I see that as well.  However I also see this when I move through the travel safe form.  Basically a one point it says either are fine...then when start working the form it says only pcr...more info here

IMG_20211108_172616.jpg

16 minutes ago, drusierdmd said:

Thank you.  I see that as well.  However I also see this when I move through the travel safe form.  Basically a one point it says either are fine...then when start working the form it says only pcr...more info here

I see that. Nothing like official government information that's as clear as mud...😕

On 10/25/2021 at 6:11 PM, Aviator of the Seas said:

Hi all,

I have been away from CC for a while now. I work in the travel industry and after a year+ in the doldrums, we got busy all of a sudden during the summer. And with a shortage of workers, the few of us who actually show up for work are wearing many, many hats, trying to keep travelers...and tourists...pleased.

Anyway, enough whining. Here's a short recap of the current situation in San Juan and Puerto Rico in general.

• Even if Puerto Rico is among the lowest contagion-prone and highest-vaccination-rated U.S. jurisdictions, our always overreacting local government has kept some Covid restrictions in place: complete travel declaration before flying in at travelsafe.pr.gov. Fully vaccinated get a free pass almost everywhere, unvaccinated not so much. Masks required indoors regardless of vaccine status, and outdoors where there's crowding although this is mostly ignored.  The gov requires restaurants to ask for vaccine proof for all patrons. Restaurants that refuse must cut their capacity to 50%. This is also widely ignored but expect wait times and confusion. Hotels also require vaccination or negative tests, and this IS enforced, so plan ahead. Enough about Covid.
  • El Yunque Rainforest access is very limited for organized, guided tours. Only a handful of operators have limited permits to go up, and there are many wise ass operators who sell you "rainforest tours" but actually take you to farms and places in the periphery of the actual El Yunque National Forest. If you don't see La Coca Falls, Yokahu Tower and at least the Angelito Trail, you are not in the actual park. Self-guided private vehicle access is fine but require reservations through the U.S. Forest Service internet page. The El Portal Visitors Center is still under reconstruction. Upkeep of the public areas is wanting due to a lack of forest personnel.
  • Old San Juan is beautiful as ever. This year we are celebrating the 500th anniversary of the founding of the city so there are many related festivals and activities. As with everywhere else, most businesses, restaurants, bars, etc. are going through a severe personnel shortage, so patience please with those who did show up to work. The forts also suffer from a lack of personnel so they are now mostly DIY (what the heck is wrong with the feds?).
  • Cruises, oh cruises. Carnival, RCI and Viking are already doing port calls without incident. Home-porting: RCI starts home-porting with the Explorer in November. Viking starts with the Sea in December. Silversea in November. Regent also in November. Carnival won't home port in San Juan for the foreseeable future. It's all slowly coming together.

That's it for now. I hope to be able to answer any questions. I have like two slow-ish weeks ahead before it gets crazy again.

Thank you for your interest! 

Are the trolleys running? We will be in San Juan in January and I'm curious about this.  May make the difference between us taking a tour or just going on our own in Old San Juan.

30 minutes ago, shutterbug63 said:

Are the trolleys running? We will be in San Juan in January and I'm curious about this.  May make the difference between us taking a tour or just going on our own in Old San Juan.

@Aviator of the Seasalready answered that question back in post #22: "I haven't seen the trolley running yet."

On 10/30/2021 at 3:52 PM, eileeshb said:

Thank you for the update, I’m due to be on Norwegian Epic at the end of February but I’ve planned to have a few days staying in San Juan pre and post cruise.  I’m travelling solo for this trip so if you have any suggestions of areas to avoid or otherwise I’d love to know. I had read a review online of La factoria not welcoming solo customers. 

I'll also be traveling solo, and while I'm only staying a few days before hand at the beginning of January, I was wondering the same thing.

I don't have my flights yet, but hope to have at least an afternoon/evening, a full day, and the morning before a cruise to explore.  I'll be staying near Punta Piedrita. I was thinking of taking ... uber? bus? to Old San Juan - do you have a suggested starting point and possible ways to getting there?

Aviator.   Can you suggest a good fair priced hotel on the beach in San Juan, will be there overnight in January with an 8pm departure.
Marriott is awesome. But a little out of my  range lol.  but something like that

Thanks.  

20 hours ago, Ptroxx said:

Aviator.   Can you suggest a good fair priced hotel on the beach in San Juan, will be there overnight in January with an 8pm departure.
Marriott is awesome. But a little out of my  range lol.  but something like that

Thanks.  

Sorry, as a local I can't make any specific recommendations. All I can tell you is that the better beaches in or near (within a 15 minute ride) San Juan are at the Isla Verde area, near the airport. An hour drive to the east can get you some nice resorts in the area of Rio Grande near the Rainforest, with good golf to boot.

22 hours ago, Lookn4Sun said:

I'll also be traveling solo, and while I'm only staying a few days before hand at the beginning of January, I was wondering the same thing.

I don't have my flights yet, but hope to have at least an afternoon/evening, a full day, and the morning before a cruise to explore.  I'll be staying near Punta Piedrita. I was thinking of taking ... uber? bus? to Old San Juan - do you have a suggested starting point and possible ways to getting there?

City buses in San Juan are notoriously unreliable. Taxis are cheaper than Uber. To me the best starting point in Old San Juan is Paseo de la Princesa, a promenade along the harbor on the south side of Old San Juan. Walk west from there and through the ancient city gate and you're own the heart of Old San Juan, which BTW, is celebrating its 500th anniversary this year.

• Like 2