New to Celebrity and Just Booked Summit Sailing on 11-16 Summit

misguy

We have sailed MSC, Carnival, RCCL and NCL and now we are trying Celebrity.  So I have a few questions.

1.  For those that have sailed some these other lines, what will be different?

2.  What are the must do activities on board?

3.  How has the internet been on the stream package, I will need to teach class from the ship, and I also live stream to YT.

4.  I am in the process of working on getting an accessible cabin, my wife uses a wheelchair.  How accessible is the ship?

5.  Does anyone have menus from a recent cruise from the MDR?

I personally would choose Celebrity over NCL. I’ve sailed both multiple times and have found the food and the overall level of service to be better on Celebrity. I can’t address internet. I use it rarely onboard. No issues with what I have done.

with regard to accessibility. A friend we sailed with on a celebrity cruise broke her ankle. They provided a motorized vehicle and she was able to manoeuvre the ship with ease. They adjusted our dining table area to accommodate using the aid. However, since the accident happened on the ship she did not have an accessible cabin and found it difficult to manoeuvre particularly getting in and out of the bathroom.

I can only help you with a couple of your questions. I have sailed Celebrity once and NCL nine times. I will be on this Summit sailing with you, assuming you meant 11/18? I will also be on the ship on 11/16, but only as part of the 11/13 sailing. I assume you won't be joining mid-sailing. 😉

I sailed my first Celebrity sailing on July on the Equinox and I just came off the NCL Breakaway earlier this month, with the Celebrity experience fresh in my mind. The number one difference to me is the food. The quality of the food in the main dining is way beyond anything you will get in the MDR on NCL. The quality of food in the buffet is also higher. Plus the pastries in the cafe are included, unlike the expensive pastries at the Starbucks on NCL ships. The main "negative" for food on Celebrity vs. NCL is that the do not have a 27/7 restaurant like O'sheehan's/The Local available. or any "sit down" restaurant that is included with your fare besides the MDR.

Celebrity definitely has a more low-key vibe. It is more relaxed, a bit classier, and less frenetic. The main theater shows definitely don't compare to NCL, but the live music around the ship was good in my Equinox sailing.

The other thing I can help you with is MDR menus. If you have the Celebrity app on your phone, you can go in right now and look at the MDR menus we will have on our sailing each night.

• Like 2

I second @JamieLogical in her analysis 100%.  We’ve been on several NCL sailings over the years and was for a long time our goto line. This year we were determined to be on the very first cruise we as US Citizens could sail, and that was on Celebrity Millennium from St Maarten. We booked a two week b2b and well, other than my FCC I need to burn next Spring on NCL, we’ve sounded the horn and have left the NCL pier for better seas known as Celebrity. Now, understand two things, 1. We don’t sail with children as a family and 2.  NCL is a quality product and for most people with families the mainstream line I will usually recommend due to their consistent product. NCL and X are two separate categories of ship and experience. 

I won’t repeat Jaimie’s analysis, I will second it and add that the lack of constant nickel and dining and a very obvious shift from revenue focused operations to customer focused satisfaction are a main pillar of the differences. I’ve only been on M Class so far, so the experiences we’ve had that have been so great can only be amplified by the Edge Class amenities and those gorgeous ships. 

Ive never experienced a ship that has the selection of spirits, wines, beers, and non alcoholic beverage offerings they have. Diet Tonic, Diet Sprite, Vitamin Water, all unheard of on most other lines. Having the Premium Drink package, there was never the awkward discussion like on NCL recently “Sir there will be an upcharge for that as it’s over the allowance” I’ve enjoyed more Hendricks and Johnny Walker on X than I ever would have the opportunity to anymore on NCL (there was a time circa 2013 they were included, no more). 

Not to take away from the crew of NCL at all, as we’ve met some just amazing humans over the years there, however the crew, staff, and well most of the officers (One I met needs to find a little humility in their life, but that’s another story for another day), are just an 11 out of 10. They for us have been just incredible. 

Since June we’ve been back in August, November, and if it weren’t for the darn FCC I need to use Spring of 22 , then and Fall of 22. 

I’ll also share this. This is not meant to be at all taken the wrong way please, but we used to save a lot of our money and pay a very high premium for Haven on NCL and for YC on MSC (who we’ve also come to enjoy) in the past, because of the improved product, not any more. The Celebrity experience through and through equals those Ship within a Ship products and in some ways exceeds it in that for one, it’s usually less money and two, we have an entire ship of the same quality service and experience that was once just limited to 20% of the vessel. The MDR on X equals that of Haven and exceeds that all day long of MSC YC Restaurant (lacks consistency of food quality). Blu is just fantastic. It’s probably my favorite restaurant at sea other than NCL Specialty Dining in Le Bistro. 

The included (must not be booked in Simply Sail or Cruise Only promotions) Coffee selections and morning pastries and afternoon/evening complimentary deserts in Al Bacio are just great! Even with Haven on NCL, you’re paying for those in Starbucks

Thisnwas a lot longer than I wanted to share but maybe perhaps for someone, and the OP, it will be helpful and just really supports Jamie’s take on X. 

Also, as for the wifi, you should be aware that in June for the two weeks the wifi was intermittent and unreliable. On some days it was down more than up. It resulted in many folks getting reimbursed and apparently, the Satellite feed which originates in Miami had issues. I believe that’s not the norm, I believe it was rectified after we left, as I’ve not read it here at all, and in August in Alaska it was 100%, but because you will be doing work from the ship I wanted you to be aware. 

Edited by BoundForSea

Summit is fantastic right now. I did a recent live(ish) review on it, and you'll find many other reviews around here that can tell you a lot about it. It should be a great cruise! 

I'm not going to lie to you, though. The wifi can be dicey. Streaming might be impossible at times (even a lot of the time). You might want to look into backup plans if you cannot connect well enough. 

On 10/29/2021 at 1:44 PM, misguy said:

We have sailed MSC, Carnival, RCCL and NCL and now we are trying Celebrity.  So I have a few questions.

1.  For those that have sailed some these other lines, what will be different?

2.  What are the must do activities on board?

3.  How has the internet been on the stream package, I will need to teach class from the ship, and I also live stream to YT.

4.  I am in the process of working on getting an accessible cabin, my wife uses a wheelchair.  How accessible is the ship?

5.  Does anyone have menus from a recent cruise from the MDR?

if you are on an "S" line ship there are no  "stand alone" disabled toilets. This is fine if the person in the chair can propel themselves in and out of the toilets (the automatic doors work well). However if the chair user has to be pushed by a companion of the opposite sex one or other of the scenarios are involved;

1) person in chair is female. Once through the outer doors the male  pusher will be going past inner stalls and washbasins being used by other female passengers.

2) person in chair is male. Once through the outer doors the female pusher will be going past urinals and stalls being used by other male passengers.

Our friends chose to always return to their cabins which can be a pain.

Royal ships have a number of stand alone toilets which is one reason our friends prefer that line.

2 hours ago, the penguins said:

if you are on an "S" line ship there are no  "stand alone" disabled toilets. This is fine if the person in the chair can propel themselves in and out of the toilets (the automatic doors work well). However if the chair user has to be pushed by a companion of the opposite sex one or other of the scenarios are involved;

1) person in chair is female. Once through the outer doors the male  pusher will be going past inner stalls and washbasins being used by other female passengers.

2) person in chair is male. Once through the outer doors the female pusher will be going past urinals and stalls being used by other male passengers.

Our friends chose to always return to their cabins which can be a pain.

Royal ships have a number of stand alone toilets which is one reason our friends prefer that line.

Sorry pressed to soon. If you can't get a disabled room go for one with the bed nearest to the window/balcony as this gives you the most easily accessible floor space (the boss Anita, uses a 4 wheel rollator). Also the small table slides neatly half under the dressing table (parallel to the wall) which leaves you space to sit at the dressing table, half a table to use and completely open floor space in half the cabin.

On 10/29/2021 at 12:45 PM, DCPIV said:

Summit is fantastic right now. I did a recent live(ish) review on it, and you'll find many other reviews around here that can tell you a lot about it. It should be a great cruise! 

I'm not going to lie to you, though. The wifi can be dicey. Streaming might be impossible at times (even a lot of the time). You might want to look into backup plans if you cannot connect well enough. 

I don't of any backup plan for a class I teach live.  Was the Wifi good in port?

@the penguins misguy is sailing on the Summit not an S class ship, but, just as an fyi, if you haven't found them, there are a male, port side , and female, starboard, dedicated disabled toilets on S class ships up by the Sunset Bar.

(there may be more this is just the one I found by accident when desperate)

They have push button entry into a vestibule then a secondary push button entry into a large room with a toilet, lots of supporting rails, and sink one can roll under in a wheelchair, and taps with long handles that can be used with elbows. There is plenty of room for an assistant and I think there is a help button that will summon help if needed. I also think there is a red light in the vestibule that comes on when the toilet room is in use, it may be outside on the deck (its been a couple of years since I stumbled in there).

I know, strange place to put them especially if they are the only dedicated disabled toilets but I thought I'd let you know they are there just in case the info will come in handy one day. 

Cheers, h

(Hope Revolutionizing the ships didn't get rid of them)

1 minute ago, middlehaitch said:

@the penguins misguy is sailing on the Summit not an S class ship, but, just as an fyi, if you haven't found them, there are a male, port side , and female, starboard, dedicated disabled toilets on S class ships up by the Sunset Bar.

(there may be more this is just the one I found by accident when desperate)

They have push button entry into a vestibule then a secondary push button entry into a large room with a toilet, lots of supporting rails, and sink one can roll under in a wheelchair, and taps with long handles that can be used with elbows. There is plenty of room for an assistant and I think there is a help button that will summon help if needed. I also think there is a red light in the vestibule that comes on when the toilet room is in use, it may be outside on the deck (its been a couple of years since I stumbled in there).

I know, strange place to put them especially if they are the only dedicated disabled toilets but I thought I'd let you know they are there just in case the info will come in handy one day. 

Cheers, h

(Hope Revolutionizing the ships didn't get rid of them)

Thanks, and I will know by the end of the cruise if there are any more.  I do accessible travel videos, so that is the kind of thing I hunt out.  

@misguySorry for the misunderstanding. The Penguins was referring to the lack of stand alone disabled toilets on S class ships so I was l just saying that I had stumbled across the ones by the Sunset Bar.

You, sailing on the Summit, are on an M class ship and, unfortunately, or fortunately for me, I haven't stumbled into a disabled toilet on that class of ship, yet.

I am not disabled so haven't purposely gone on a hunt for them.

Cheers, h.

(did you do a video tour of a dinning room? I can't remember the ship but I do remember that it was easy to navigate until you got to the back of the room by the windows. If so, good video, I watched it yesterday)

10 minutes ago, middlehaitch said:

@misguySorry for the misunderstanding. The Penguins was referring to the lack of stand alone disabled toilets on S class ships so I was l just saying that I had stumbled across the ones by the Sunset Bar.

You, sailing on the Summit, are on an M class ship and, unfortunately, or fortunately for me, I haven't stumbled into a disabled toilet on that class of ship, yet.

I am not disabled so haven't purposely gone on a hunt for them.

Cheers, h.

(did you do a video tour of a dinning room? I can't remember the ship but I do remember that it was easy to navigate until you got to the back of the room by the windows. If so, good video, I watched it yesterday)

I don't sail till 11-13 but I will be doing a video tour of everything I can. 

We are also veteran cruisers of all of the major lines other than RCI and Celebrity.  We have sailed HAL, Carnival, Disney, Princess, and NCL.  Previously, NCL was our favorite cruise line mostly due to the entertainment.  I understand that Celebrity is more low key and they won't have anything comparable to the Broadway shows or Howl at the Moon piano bar we enjoyed on NCL, but is there any type of piano bar?  What is the night life like?  We are not hard partiers, but at 10 am on our last HAL cruise (pre- COVID), the common areas were nearly deserted.  We are looking for a bit more night life than found on HAL, some live music, perhaps a piano bar.  NCL hits it right in the entertainment area, but the MDR food leaves something to be desired.  We are foodies and looking forward to an elevated food experience on Celebrity.

We are also looking at the Summit.  I know it's an older ship, but it seems it has been recently upgraded?  Any thoughts?

We are a young at heart couple in our middle 50s.

Thank you for any information.

1 hour ago, pcrum said:

We are also veteran cruisers of all of the major lines other than RCI and Celebrity.  We have sailed HAL, Carnival, Disney, Princess, and NCL.  Previously, NCL was our favorite cruise line mostly due to the entertainment.  I understand that Celebrity is more low key and they won't have anything comparable to the Broadway shows or Howl at the Moon piano bar we enjoyed on NCL, but is there any type of piano bar?  What is the night life like?  We are not hard partiers, but at 10 am on our last HAL cruise (pre- COVID), the common areas were nearly deserted.  We are looking for a bit more night life than found on HAL, some live music, perhaps a piano bar.  NCL hits it right in the entertainment area, but the MDR food leaves something to be desired.  We are foodies and looking forward to an elevated food experience on Celebrity.

We are also looking at the Summit.  I know it's an older ship, but it seems it has been recently upgraded?  Any thoughts?

We are a young at heart couple in our middle 50s.

Thank you for any information.

I’ve taken Celebrity and NCL. Entertainment was pretty much equal. Celebrity has big production shows. Not sure where your getting the information they don’t .

1 hour ago, pcrum said:

Yes, Summit was recently "revolutionized" and is a beautiful ship. It's pretty hard to comment on the quality of the night life at the moment, though, because she's been sailing at such low capacity. 

There's no piano bar on Summit, but there is excellent live music that usually goes until 11:30.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, glmacruise said:

I’ve taken Celebrity and NCL. Entertainment was pretty much equal. Celebrity has big production shows. Not sure where your getting the information they don’t .

Thank you!  That is good to know.  So, they do the Broadway shows?  NCL has had Kinky Boots, Priscilla Queen of the Desert, Choir of Man, and Six, among others.  Do you know which shows are on Celebrity?

Thanks again.  

2 minutes ago, pcrum said:

Thank you!  That is good to know.  So, they do the Broadway shows?  NCL has had Kinky Boots, Priscilla Queen of the Desert, Choir of Man, and Six, among others.  Do you know which shows are on Celebrity?

Thanks again.  

The definitely don't do Broadway shows. They do production shows in the main theatre, but I believe they are home-grown shows, written by/for Celebrity. I have only done one Celebrity sailing so far on the Equinox and I would describe the shows as more "artsy" and less main-stream than NCL? More aerial silks, acrobatics, that sort of thing? The did have a plot and singing and dancing.

• Like 1

@pcrum I'm not aware of Broadway style shows but they have had some great vocalists. 

To be honest, I'm not much of a "show" guy and might only catch one or two (if any at all) over a cruise. I much prefer the live acts in the bars and lounges. I hope someone else comes along to give you more info about the shows. 

I forgot to mention that there is DJ music up in Sky Lounge that goes good and late if you're interested in staying up after midnight. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, JamieLogical said:

The definitely don't do Broadway shows. They do production shows in the main theatre, but I believe they are home-grown shows, written by/for Celebrity. I have only done one Celebrity sailing so far on the Equinox and I would describe the shows as more "artsy" and less main-stream than NCL? More aerial silks, acrobatics, that sort of thing? The did have a plot and singing and dancing.

Thanks for the clarification.  How is the live music?  I was looking at a schedule of music and I saw some Sinatra, which is fine, but is there also music that appeals to younger audiences?  I may be over 50, but my favorite artists are Lana Del Rey and the British pop singer, Robbie Williams.  

Thanks again.

2 minutes ago, pcrum said:

Thanks for the clarification.  How is the live music?  I was looking at a schedule of music and I saw some Sinatra, which is fine, but is there also music that appeals to younger audiences?  I may be over 50, but my favorite artists are Lana Del Rey and the British pop singer, Robbie Williams.  

Thanks again.

Again, I've not been on the Summit, but on the Equinox, there were often guitar/vocalists performing newer music at the Sunset bar, a DJ in the Sky Lounge, a "lounge act" in the Grand Foyer, and later at night, Silent Disco in the Grand Foyer. I believe there was also live music over in the lounge by the specialty restaurants, but I never witnessed that first hand.

We were on the Millennium in September and if I remember correctly,  M/F accessible restrooms were on deck 5 forward across from the gents and ladies rooms.  On a deck 

plan I am looking at, they are the small box at each each end of the stairs.  I see the Summit has that same box deck 5 forward.  On the Millie, my wife used it once and I believe they are one holers.

Until November 27, the Summit will be featuring -- as the "dance band" in the Rendezvous Lounge (for sets before both dinner seatings -- and post-dinner too) -- the best live musical act we have ever seen in fifteen years of cruising. 

Their name is "Music Soup" -- a group of four virtuoso musicians (with a gigantic [pop-and-jazz] repertoire), led by two very special people from Greece:

Evgenia Karlafti (keyboard and vocals) ....

Nestor Dimopoulos (lead guitar)

[They are accompanied by a bass guitarist and drummer.]

We hope that you will enjoy them as much as we have (on the Reflection in 2018 and the Solstice in 2019).  [After hearing them for more than three weeks on the Reflection in 2018, we canceled our 2019 Reflection cruises in order to be able to "follow" them on the Solstice.]

• Like 1