Ancient Wonders Of The Black Sea. May 2022

woodcritic

On 4/26/2022 at 9:39 AM, Windsurfboy said:

Can I  confirm  you were offered private car for Black sea replacement  eastern Mediterranean cruise. I'm not sure if we are shared or private. 

Yes, I was. It was my understanding everyone would be.

We finally received a call from Saga to officially inform us of the change of itinerary and to discuss our options. Thanks to Saransay we already knew of these changes so we had plenty of time to consider how we wanted to proceed. We are obviously extremely disappointed that our long awaited cruise into the Black Sea has been cancelled but in view of the current situation it obviously came as no surprise and Saga really had no alternative other than to cancel that part of the cruise. Unfortunately we feel the new itinerary is rather unimaginative and includes ports we have visited many times in the past.

We did consider staying with the new itinerary but felt it was one thing to pay a premium price for a relatively rare cruise into the Black Sea but to pay a premium price for a more routine Mediterranean cruise does not hold the same appeal. In the weeks leading up to previous cruises we have always felt very excited but I am afraid that over the last few weeks our enthusiasm has dwindled to such an extent that even thinking about going on this cruise has become stressful. We think that Saga have handled the situation really badly. It was clear to us at least month ago that this cruise would not go to the Black Sea yet for weeks Saga were denying there was going to be a change in the itinerary. Even as late as last week Saga were still trying to sell this cruise as a cruise to the Black Sea. Why couldn’t Saga have simply admitted that the cruise would not go into the Black Sea and that more details would follow in due course? I suppose we are all prone to fool ourselves into believing that cruise companies put customer’s interests above all else. The reality of course is that cruise companies are businesses endeavouring to make as much money out of their customers as possible. We personally feel that Saga have displayed a lamentable standard of customer services and have failed spectacularly in keeping their customers informed. Passengers should not need to write to the CEO of a company in order to find out what is happening with regard to their cruise. We have therefore decided to exercise our option to cancel  and take our business elsewhere.

Despite the above, we feel sure that those of you who have opted to accept the new itinerary will have a lovely time on your cruise. We were on Spirit of Adventure at Christmas and had a great cruise. We liked everything about the ship and felt that the crew went above and beyond anything we have experienced in over 35 previous cruises. However, this particular cruise is not for us. We wish you all well and Bon Voyage . We will be following your progress with great interest.

We are fortunate that the revised itinerary still has 5 ports which are new to us and a couple that we have not visited for many, many years. So whilst we agree that Saga should have dealt with this much better it is still a cruise which is attractive to us. The number of cabins available continues to increase and I cannot see there will be much uptake given the prices on offer, except for the guarantee price. So the ship may feel even more spacious than usual.

We haven't been to many of these ports, there are some that don't look that good but we actually like the odd port day when we are only one of a few who stay on ship.

They have dropped guarantee price to £6600 , which is 30% off full price. As there are no bad standard cabins on SOA anyone who bought at  disount of 25% off or less may consider cancelling and  rebooking. 

Deluxe and suites no reduction.  Suites still only 15% off , but they ever get better than my 25% off, I will talk to Saga

NB now 173 twin and 25 single cabins available, so people not rushing to buy. But only 25 days to go.  Even at £6600 , £13200per couple not cheap. So people with this money to spend and no commitment for a month at such short notice aren't that plentiful. Will be a spacious cruise, with more than normal staff to passenger ratio. 

Edited by Windsurfboy

19 hours ago, Windsurfboy said:

They have dropped guarantee price to £6600 , which is 30% off full price. As there are no bad standard cabins on SOA anyone who bought at  disount of 25% off or less may consider cancelling and  rebooking. 

Of course if you didn't book the cheapest grade of standard cabin there maybe even more incentive to cancel and rebook, but maybe not. The guarantee price is now more than 35% off the full fare of the standard cabin we booked (C deck towards the back). However, we choose where our cabin is because we like to be around that area and would not wish to risk being at the front of the ship, as we don't particularly like that location, so we are happy to stay with what we have on any cruise even if the guarantee would be a cheaper option.

On 4/27/2022 at 2:45 PM, Windsurfboy said:

We haven't been to many of these ports, there are some that don't look that good but we actually like the odd port day when we are only one of a few who stay on ship.

They have dropped guarantee price to £6600 , which is 30% off full price. As there are no bad standard cabins on SOA anyone who bought at  disount of 25% off or less may consider cancelling and  rebooking. 

Deluxe and suites no reduction.  Suites still only 15% off , but they ever get better than my 25% off, I will talk to Saga

NB now 173 twin and 25 single cabins available, so people not rushing to buy. But only 25 days to go.  Even at £6600 , £13200per couple not cheap. So people with this money to spend and no commitment for a month at such short notice aren't that plentiful. Will be a spacious cruise, with more than normal staff to passenger ratio. 

There are however a few partially obstructed balconies I believe, forward on Deck 7.

2 hours ago, Host Sharon said:

There are however a few partially obstructed balconies I believe, forward on Deck 7.

With 140 empty standard cabins doubt if they'd put anyone there if they wanted future custom. However , clearly it's a slight gamble..

Number of available cabins on sale has not come down 

On 4/27/2022 at 2:45 PM, Windsurfboy said:

We had a river cruise cancelled by Saga last year with less than a month's notice, simply because they hadn't sold enough places on it to make it worth their while to run. I hope for the sake of those people still wanting to go on this one that they don't do the same thing again!

I had an email from Saga today which really took the biscuit:

"Exciting news! We’ve launched a new cruise sailing around the Eastern Mediterranean, departing next month on May 21, 20‍22. .... reserve your cabin now."
They clearly don't realise that we were booked on the original cruise and cancelled that 4 days ago.

8 hours ago, smokey57 said:

We had a river cruise cancelled by Saga last year with less than a month's notice, simply because they hadn't sold enough places on it to make it worth their while to run. I hope for the sake of those people still wanting to go on this one that they don't do the same thing again!

Still 60% occupancy. 

The question is whether they make a bigger loss not running it.  Still have to pay for crew, keep ship ticking over, etc. Bur zero income.  Fingers crossed

• Like 1

9 hours ago, smokey57 said:

I had an email from Saga today which really took the biscuit:

"Exciting news! We’ve launched a new cruise sailing around the Eastern Mediterranean, departing next month on May 21, 20‍22. .... reserve your cabin now."
They clearly don't realise that we were booked on the original cruise and cancelled that 4 days ago.

This email was also received by those booked on it! 😀

36 minutes ago, Windsurfboy said:

Still 60% occupancy. 

The question is whether they make a bigger loss not running it.  Still have to pay for crew, keep ship ticking over, etc. Bur zero income.  Fingers crossed

Also a potential public relations disaster if they cancel at the last minute having already mucked everyone up once with the delay in announcing the change of itinerary.

• Like 1

Why on earth did they not offer an attractive discount to those of us already booked on this cruise (well, the Black Sea one!) when we might have thought twice about cancelling. This whole saga has really dented our confidence and trust in SAGA. Although a difficult decision for them, it was clear from port bookings some time ago that they knew before last week that the odds were high on the original itinerary being blown out of the water (let alone the ship!), yet they kept their customers in the dark. Even when we phoned just a week before for news and, after a 60 minute wait, were told that the itinerary would go ahead. A great example of disastrous customer service and judgement which must have come from the top. Might add that I emailed Mr. Blanks as well, but have had no reply.

• Like 1

On 4/30/2022 at 10:42 AM, Summer Song said:

Why on earth did they not offer an attractive discount to those of us already booked on this cruise (well, the Black Sea one!) when we might have thought twice about cancelling. This whole saga has really dented our confidence and trust in SAGA. Although a difficult decision for them, it was clear from port bookings some time ago that they knew before last week that the odds were high on the original itinerary being blown out of the water (let alone the ship!), yet they kept their customers in the dark. Even when we phoned just a week before for news and, after a 60 minute wait, were told that the itinerary would go ahead. A great example of disastrous customer service and judgement which must have come from the top. Might add that I emailed Mr. Blanks as well, but have had no reply.

Probably because, reading on other forums, the shareholders are already kicking up a stink about Saga giving compensation for cancelled/aborted/diverted cruises. "Insane compensation schemes" I think one called it.

On 4/30/2022 at 10:42 AM, Summer Song said:

5 hours ago, nosapphire said:

Probably because, reading on other forums, the shareholders are already kicking up a stink about Saga giving compensation for cancelled/aborted/diverted cruises. "Insane compensation schemes" I think one called it.

Also because it would have not added much revenue. 100 cabins cancelled. A 10% reduction may have saved say 50 cabins , revenue 50*90% . At say orginal price £10000 per cabin £450000 extra

10% off the remaining 300 cabins  10%*300 at £10000 =  £300,000 loss 

So a small marginal gain. If they'd given bigger discount could have kept more people , but a gamble,  could have given the discount and only kept a few people and lost on people who would have stayed anyway. .

're the cancelled /aborted/ diverted etc cruises , shareholders may call it insane compensation,  but its what they would most likely have ended up being made to pay.

Anyway one other good thing about less than 60% occupancy,  plenty of room for social distancing at meals. Should be no close contacts and forced quarantine,  with 1038 dining seats and under 600 people, even if everyone turns up at same time

30 minutes ago, Windsurfboy said:

Also because it would have not added much revenue. 100 cabins cancelled. A 10% reduction may have saved say 50 cabins , revenue 50*90% . At say orginal price £10000 per cabin £450000 extra

So a small marginal gain. If they'd given bigger discount could have kept more people , but a gamble,  could have given the discount and only kept a few people and lost on people who would have stayed anyway. .

're the cancelled /aborted/ diverted etc cruises , shareholders may call it insane compensation,  but its what they would most likely have ended up being made to pay.

Anyway one other good thing about less than 60% occupancy,  plenty of room for social distancing at meals. Should be no close contacts and forced quarantine,  with 1038 dining seats and under 600 people, even if everyone turns up at same time

Some of the shareholder comments relating to refunds and compensation, they have never heard of goodwill.

A company that is prompt with refunds when needed is going to retain a lot more business than one with a reputation for trying to weasel out of it - and for all their faults, during the pandemic, Saga rightly earned plaudits for being very good with full refunds for those who did not want FCC.

22 hours ago, Windsurfboy said:

I think we can only benefit from the greatly reduced occupancy as the entire cruise now promises to be quite an exclusive experience!

Hopefully, it will also mean that we can visit the speciality restaurants more than once per week 🎉

Looking forward to meeting you all and putting faces to names🥂

• Like 1

3 hours ago, WeLuv2Holiday said:

Hopefully, it will also mean that we can visit the speciality restaurants more than once per week 🎉

Looking forward to meeting you all and putting faces to names🥂

With 240 seats in speciality restaurants,  and 600 passengers,  then nearly  every other night if we wish. 

Remember "spot the ball" , may have to play spot the passenger on the deck.

• Like 1

I sincerely hope for two things now: 1. that those of you who are going on the Odyssey cruise will absolutely love it and, 2. that we will absolutely love the alternative cruise that we have booked! At the same time we can weep for those poor beggars in Ukraine, their plight makes my/our whingeing about a cruise pale into insignificance.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Summer Song said:

I sincerely hope for two things now: 1. that those of you who are going on the Odyssey cruise will absolutely love it and, 2. that we will absolutely love the alternative cruise that we have booked! At the same time we can weep for those poor beggars in Ukraine, their plight makes my/our whingeing about a cruise pale into insignificance.

I echo your sentiments completely Summer Song, my heart goes out to every one of them for the unimaginable plight and suffering they have been through and are still having to endure.  We must all consider ourselves extremely fortunate for the lives that we are able to live and enjoy 🇺🇦

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/23/2022 at 9:41 PM, Host Sharon said:

Phone call this morning to say Odessa replaced by Canakkale but all other ports remain for now. Also given complimentary premium drinks package. Fingers crossed.

I'm just wondering, now that we have a completely different itinerary to the Ancient wonders of the Black Sea that we had all booked, if we are still likely to receive the complimentary premium drinks package that was given to compensate for removing Odessa from the itinerary? I don't have anything in writing, I was informed via a phone call!

9 hours ago, WeLuv2Holiday said:

I'm just wondering, now that we have a completely different itinerary to the Ancient wonders of the Black Sea that we had all booked, if we are still likely to receive the complimentary premium drinks package that was given to compensate for removing Odessa from the itinerary? I don't have anything in writing, I was informed via a phone call!

Come to think of it , neither have I.  However information via phone call is a binding contract.

On the other hand we have had nothing in writing,  saying we will no longer get the premium drinks, and the cruise number hadn't changed.