Ready to book..where do I get canc/interrupt insurance?

Barwick Cruiser

We are looking to book a Celebrity cruise for January. We’d be covered if anything happened concerning covid and we’re checking into my DHs work medical insurance if we’re covered while cruising for any other possible medical mishaps but I’m concerned we won’t be able to find cancellation/interruption insurance…this is keeping me from finalizing the booking. What is everyone else that’s cruising from Canada, or Ontario specifically, doing for that? Thanks!

6 minutes ago, Barwick Cruiser said:

We are looking to book a Celebrity cruise for January. We’d be covered if anything happened concerning covid and we’re checking into my DHs work medical insurance if we’re covered while cruising for any other possible medical mishaps but I’m concerned we won’t be able to find cancellation/interruption insurance…this is keeping me from finalizing the booking. What is everyone else that’s cruising from Canada, or Ontario specifically, doing for that? Thanks!

We took insurance for Medical with Blue Cross plus interruption & cancellation. They cover Covid through Medical & I know that they will not cover us while we have a Travel level 4 for cruises for cancellation  but every other reason is covered & we feel comfortable with what Celebrity is offering with Cruise with confidence so it’s definitely better than just staying at home.  The level 4 may not be around in Jan. 

Edited by If only

I appears that the companies that will provide COVID-related medical insurance while the cruise travel advisory is in place will not also cover COVID-related trip interruption or cancellation insurance. Like @If only, we are comfortable with our insurance with Johnson combined with Celebrity's benefits.

There is quite a lot of very good information on this site.

It would be useful to scroll down to see the questions/topics that have already been asked.

I have noticed that the same questions are being asked numerous times and it's hard to follow where all the same information is being posted.

Here are threads that will answer your question:

• Like 1

We purchase Princess (Cruise) Vacation Protection.  Because they don’t cover much for medical, we also purchase Blue Cross. We can cancel our cruise at anytime for any reason and get a full refund back (money or cruise credit). The only thing that is not insured is our flights however, we were able to booked cheap flights through Princess Cruise and are able to cancel up to 45 days prior to our flight for a full refund (cruise credit). 

Yes, I’ve seen the numerous threads asking about Covid coverage but that’s not what I’m asking about. If by chance we catch covid or test positive we know Celebrity will look after us and get us back home safely. What we’re needing to find is insurance that will cover our cruise costs if one of us either falls ill or gets injured on the cruise or at a port and need to either cancel the cruise ahead of embarkation or during the cruise itself. I don’t believe cruise with confidence covers cancellation that’s not covid related. 

Your cruise line should offer insurance for covid related matters and “medical/injured” at least Princess Cruise does and therefore, we purchase there insurance if such thing does occur.

Trusting this will assist you. 

Edited by DHP1

33 minutes ago, Barwick Cruiser said:

Yes, I’ve seen the numerous threads asking about Covid coverage but that’s not what I’m asking about. If by chance we catch covid or test positive we know Celebrity will look after us and get us back home safely. What we’re needing to find is insurance that will cover our cruise costs if one of us either falls ill or gets injured on the cruise or at a port and need to either cancel the cruise ahead of embarkation or during the cruise itself. I don’t believe cruise with confidence covers cancellation that’s not covid related. 

My understanding is that companies will not provide COVID-related trip interruption or cancellation insurance, but they will cover you for non-COVID incidents. So if you break a leg and have to fly home mid-cruise, you'd be covered for related medical and trip interruption costs. On the other hand, if you catch COVID a few days before heading for your cruise, your trip cancellation losses won't be covered by the insurance.

Of course, the above only applies to those few companies who are currently providing coverage while the travel advisory remains in effect.

49 minutes ago, DHP1 said:

We purchase Princess (Cruise) Vacation Protection.  Because they don’t cover much for medical, we also purchase Blue Cross. We can cancel our cruise at anytime for any reason and get a full refund back (money or cruise credit). The only thing that is not insured is our flights however, we were able to booked cheap flights through Princess Cruise and are able to cancel up to 45 days prior to our flight for a full refund (cruise credit). 

We used to regularly pay the extra for the Princess PVP,  primarily for its excellent CFAR coverage, until it stopped being available to us Quebecers a few years ago. AFAIK it's the only such program giving 100% back in case of cancellation for an "uncovered" reason, while the best you could get elsewhere is only 75%. Unless something has changed, though, it does not give money back for such a cancellation, they give you "your money back" in the form of an FCC, which for us was as good as cash back.

Cruise with confidence allows to cancel for any reason up until 48 hours before hand.  https://www.celebritycruises.com/ca/travel-alert/frequently-asked-questions.  

If you test positive within 14 days of cruise they will issue refund for anyone within your travelling party. They also have a link for “Canada Travel Protection” coverage. 
https://www.celebritycruises.com/ca/health-and-safety

I asked our travel insurance rep at  Johnson about trip interruption/cancellation that is NOT Covid related and he told me we are definitely covered. Of course another agent could conceivably give a different answer. Always try to get these answers in written form. Use Chat function if available, e-mail, etc.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Janedoe2012 said:

Cruise with confidence allows to cancel for any reason up until 48 hours before hand.  https://www.celebritycruises.com/ca/travel-alert/frequently-asked-questions.  

If you test positive within 14 days of cruise they will issue refund for anyone within your travelling party. They also have a link for “Canada Travel Protection” coverage. 

Oh dear, you've opened up Pandora's Box!

The Canada Travel Protection coverage is with Manulife. Now, there are those on this board that say that Manulife does provide insurance while the GOC travel advisory in place, and have provided links to their website confirming such availability. On the other hand, there are others who adamantly deny Manulife selling any cruise-related travel insurance while the advisory remains.

I've decided to refrain from participating further in the ongoing discussion. Nevertheless, let me comment that when a company as astute as Celebrity partners with a major travel insurance company like Manulife for the travel protection of its Canadian passengers, I'm pretty sure that it would determine whether or not Manulife was in fact selling such insurance.  

• Thanks 2

5 hours ago, Janedoe2012 said:

Thank you for this info…I did dig deeper and discovered the same. Very reassuring. We’ll check tomorrow with my DH’s medical coverage from his previous work and see if they cover non covid situations on a cruise. Hopefully we’ll be able to confirm the hold I have. 

16 hours ago, Janedoe2012 said:

Would you be so kind to provide me with a direct link to the 'Canada Travel Protection' coverage, (as I have been unable to locate it)?