Any free drinks for elites

CaroleV

1 hour ago, marieps said:

There is certainly a difference between a "heavy" drinker and one who drinks "heavier" then 3 per day, which is what I said.   Heavier is a comparison.  Heavy is a description.  I didn't go there.   Anyone who buys AI and does not use the drink portion or the internet is paying more, , or  while those who take fuller advantage of the inclusions are not.  There's really no controversy.  

Some controversy, if you are aSingle paying double

1 minute ago, cruisestitch said:

Some controversy, if you are aSingle paying double

That's a whole other expensive can of worms.  Have I told you I cut and pasted your "How to spend OBC" list onto my desktop.  It's awesome.

"All in" pricing  proportionately adds more costs than other perks b/c alcohol is  most expensive..This is regardless of whether one drinks or not.

Those who do not drink or drink one or two per day  are  paying more per share than those who drink considerably more..and  from many queries and reviews on Cruise Critic and on board observations there are many who do drink more than 1 or 2 a day!..

Once X introduced any alc packages, way back many new fans crossed to X from other cruise lines! A different demographic!

We will have all the perks with next booking in a suite..using up our fcc.  After that we would have to assess the value of All incl pricing..seems excessive compared to resorts like Sandals!

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, hcat said:

"All in" pricing  proportionately adds more costs than other perks b/c alcohol is  most expensive..This is regardless of whether one drinks or not.

Those who do not drink or drink one or two per day  are  paying more per share than those who drink considerably more..and  from many queries and reviews on Cruise Critic and on board observations there are many who do drink more than 1 or 2 a day!..

Once X introduced any alc packages, way back many new fans crossed to X from other cruise lines! A different demographic!

We will have all the perks with next booking in a suite..using up our fcc.  After that we would have to assess the value of All incl pricing..seems excessive compared to resorts like Sandals!

Guess I'm that 'different demographic' whatever that means, since I tried X only because of the included drink package (with no extra cost to what it was days before this offer.)  I've swerved away from X for one trip after that but then haven't sailed anything else since.  I believe evolving demographics keep industries afloat; it would seem to be inevitable in many (if not all) businesses in order to keep profitable.

I am not Elite yet, though I'm getting pretty close, and when I do reach that status I would like to have the option to consider if I want the drink package or not so hopefully this does come back into play (aside from late booking or guarantee cabins).

As for the statement alcohol is more expensive, it certainly is but I think it could be better said that the inclusive package assures they get a committed drink slush fund from everyone regardless of what they drink.  Some may drink more, some may drink less but we can be certain Celebrity never loses, and we all know that individual drinks are overpriced to help justify the drink package 'cost'. 

Not having a package definitely alters what one drinks; personally I'm guilty of spontaneously overthinking any on the spot decision about an 'added' cost, I will often decide not to indulge by telling myself I don't really want or need it.  Psychology 101.  🙂 Celebrity loses big time in that scenario ... they are business smart!!

Edited by poffles

Something X could do is what its sister line, Royal Caribbean, has done with regard to drinks.  At least for the time being (although it's been strongly hinted it's here to stay for a while), you get free drink vouchers just added to your account every day.  They are good for that day only, but they are good at almost every location and for just about anything within what one would expect from a drink package.  It's hardly a perfect solution for anyone, but it's proven to be very popular with the crowds who no longer have to look at their watches or deal with climbing over one another to get that last one in.

Personally, I'm almost always happy to buy a drink package whether on X (where we are Elite, at least for a little while longer) or RC (where we are D+ and likely will be there forever).  For better or for worse and for the time being, we drink enough to where the cost is no worse than a virtual wash.  One benefit we enjoy is that we don't have to deal with a bunch of individual transactions both in the moment and on our account statement.  We also enjoy eliminating any hesitation in trying something new or just moving on to something else if we find we happened not to be in the mood for what we just ordered.  Frankly, we've also enjoyed the sense of freedom the packages seem to have instilled in bartenders to offer something new and different.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, DCPIV said:

Something X could do is what its sister line, Royal Caribbean, has done with regard to drinks.  At least for the time being (although it's been strongly hinted it's here to stay for a while), you get free drink vouchers just added to your account every day.  They are good for that day only, but they are good at almost every location and for just about anything within what one would expect from a drink package.  It's hardly a perfect solution for anyone, but it's proven to be very popular with the crowds who no longer have to look at their watches or deal with climbing over one another to get that last one in.

Personally, I'm almost always happy to buy a drink package whether on X (where we are Elite, at least for a little while longer) or RC (where we are D+ and likely will be there forever).  For better or for worse and for the time being, we drink enough to where the cost is no worse than a virtual wash.  One benefit we enjoy is that we don't have to deal with a bunch of individual transactions both in the moment and on our account statement.  We also enjoy eliminating any hesitation in trying something new or just moving on to something else if we find we happened not to be in the mood for what we just ordered.  Frankly, we've also enjoyed the sense of freedom the packages seem to have instilled in bartenders to offer something new and different.  

Are you in favour of choice - that is AI pricing for those that want it and a basic price plus options for those who don't?

4 hours ago, poffles said:

Guess I'm that 'different demographic' whatever that means, since I tried X only because of the included drink package (with no extra cost to what it was days before this offer.)  I've swerved away from X for one trip after that but then haven't sailed anything else since.  I believe evolving demographics keep industries afloat; it would seem to be inevitable in many (if not all) businesses in order to keep profitable.

I am not Elite yet, though I'm getting pretty close, and when I do reach that status I would like to have the option to consider if I want the drink package or not so hopefully this does come back into play (aside from late booking or guarantee cabins).

As for the statement alcohol is more expensive, it certainly is but I think it could be better said that the inclusive package assures they get a committed drink slush fund from everyone regardless of what they drink.  Some may drink more, some may drink less but we can be certain Celebrity never loses, and we all know that individual drinks are overpriced to help justify the drink package 'cost'. 

Not having a package definitely alters what one drinks; personally I'm guilty of spontaneously overthinking any on the spot decision about an 'added' cost, I will often decide not to indulge by telling myself I don't really want or need it.  Psychology 101.  🙂 Celebrity loses big time in that scenario ... they are business smart!!

Reading your comments you are in favour of choice. That is a basic package plus the options to add what you want. Just tell Celebrity

6 hours ago, hcat said:

So you are in favour of choice - correct? Just tell Celebrity.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, the penguins said:

Reading your comments you are in favour of choice. That is a basic package plus the options to add what you want. Just tell Celebrity

Yes I'm definitely in favor of choice.  I would expect everyone is of like mind even if they may appear to defend the AI model. 

What I expect, however, is a return of choice might be priced in such a way that AI comes out ahead for most but for sure good for those that don't want any extras and have some lower cost.  Guess we have to wait and see what the future holds.

Edited by poffles

11 hours ago, poffles said:

Where has this been said, is this on their site somewhere?   I am one that loves to have the drink package, I've have had it one way or another on all of my Celebrity sailings, but I've never wanted, WiFi which in my opinion is the throw in to appear you are getting more.  I'll use the WiFi of course but I don't like it being presented as if a deal when nothing is for nothing in this 'deal'.

All that said, I still like to control the pieces so I would welcome, on some level, a return to the pre AI model, even if it was the tiered level of included.  Simply Sail; Sip & Sail; All In Sail.

We are on the same side in that what we want is choice.

The quote I used is from an email to me from Marie Kirk, Celebrity Engagement Center based in Wichita. The email followed a lengthy telephone conversation. The full quote was " we appreciate that not everyone wants or needs a full beverage package or wifi access, so we are working to address that". In the same email she acknowledged that "AI pricing is generally higher".

You can make your views known to Marie by emailing: celebrityengagementcenter@celebrity.com

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, poffles said:

Yes I'm definitely in favor of choice.  I would expect everyone is of like mind even if they may appear to defend the AI model. 

What I expect, however, is a return of choice might be priced in such a way that AI comes out ahead for most but it would be good for those that don't want any extras.  Guess we have to wait and see what the future holds.

Just tell Celebrity - see post 35 for a contact and email address.

• Like 1