My Observations - Spirit of Discovery 28 October 2021

Janet-

Or should the title be My Ramblings.

Firstly I must agree with another poster, Saga's admin is abysmal. Nine days before we sailed I phoned to say we hadn't received the excursions. I was told I would get an email the following day with a link which would give me access on line. Never happened. I phoned again. This time I was told they were being posted that day. Of course , they never arrived. 

Throughout this I'd been checking My Saga daily without success but then they appeared. 

Oh, I thought things are improving. That was until I tried to pay for a trip and the little wheel went round and round. So I reached for the phone again and settled down with my copy of War and Peace to wait for Saga to answer. After 10 minutes I heard someone talking to me. My first thought was I'd dialled the wrong number, but no Saga answered  without the 40 minute wait to which I'd become accustomed.

I really don't know why it's so difficult dealing with Saga, I wish they'd get their act together. I should say I find all the people who answer the phone to be very pleasant but so ineffective.

I forgot to say that the admin for this cruise was an improvement on the one in August for which we received no paper work apart from the original booking confirmation. The last cruise was booked with a TA and this one direct with Saga. It was also a guarantee and I saw the cabin number the same time as the excursions appeared.

Our pick up time was 1020, with a drive time, according to the AA, of 3 hours 30 minutes. Our driver arrived on time but I was a bit surprised to see how he looked. Dress Code police would have had a field day. When we arrived at the port he was told off by a clip board lady. He protested that his company director said he could wear those clothes.

Anyway, on to testing. Given a nose swab and then a saliva test which was suck a lollipop not spit in a tube. The driver was also told he'd have to have a test to which he protested quite vocally insisting he'd already had 2 that day. I started to get a bit concerned then thinking he doth protest too much but in fact his also came back negative.

Onto check in where we were asked for our COVID Pass. Got our key cards and followed the signs then my heart dropped as I saw about 50 people sitting waiting.

No need for us to worry though the waiting people had only the pass on their phones whereas we'd also printed ours and they had to wait to have theirs checked.

So my tip of the day is to print your pass 

From arriving at the port to boarding took about 50 minutes. All in all I thought it was very organised.

Edited by Janet-

Many thanks for your post Janet.  I hope you enjoy your 24 night cruise, and  you have time to post further instalments! 

It looks interesting; have any of the ports been changed from the original itinerary?

Our itinerary included Sardinia and Cinakkale(sp?) Which were replaced with Santorini and an overnight in Istanbul. This was a 1900 arrival so it wasn't a good swop.

We don't drink much in the way of spirits so can't comment much on cocktails but did regress about 40 years yesterday and had a Pimm's. I didn't really enjoy it ,it had an overpowering taste of cucumber, not what I remembered. There is a pop up bar on the promenade deck today with a selection of different flavours of Bloody Marys.

We booked a guarantee and would,of course, have enjoyed a suite but that wasn't to be.We were ,however, quite pleased with what we were allocated. I can't call it a basic cabin since it is very nice. I love that the bathroom doesn't steam up at all, although it does mean you cannot hang your clothes to remove creases. I also like that there are two easy chairs instead of a settee. It's so easy to move them so you can sit and look out.

What I don't like is the silly little fridge that will accommodate little else apart from the carton of milk. It's also not silent. 

Where , O, where is a magnifying make up mirror,surely this should be standard in a new ship, especially when the ship is aimed at a more "mature" clientele.

Edited by Janet-

On Day 7 we were all required to have a COVID test.  It was very well organised, only a few seconds queuing and then a nose only swab, back to your cabin to wait for a phone call which came within a few minutes.Infact  I've spoken to several people who said thephone was ringing as they opened the door.

We have all had another test today (day 9), apparently required by Turkish authority.

Most people are very good at wearing masks except for the same few who think it's alright for them to use the masks as a chin hammock. Today the Captain has reminded everyone to wear their masks correctly. What I abhor though is seeing people take their masks off and put them down on the tablecloths.

We had changeover of crew in Malaga. The new crew had been in hotel quarantine for 5days and then isolated onboard for 4 days. They wear black facemasks. 

Malaga was also the first time Saga guests and crew could go ashore independently.

It’s a shame about the change of itinerary, but it must be wonderful to be able to go ashore independently.  I hope the weather is being kind.  Have you tried any of the speciality restaurants yet?  Just wondered if you were on the same ship in August, or on Spirit of Adventure, in which case, how do the two ships compare?

Have to agree to all of above and rather more sadly.

Head Office is full of Eastern Promise but nothing materialises and details def  gone West 

Port Agent in HERAKLION  messed up big time with very late announcement of new rules in shops and showing PDFs of covid vaccinations but the Town Transfer coaches and staff were superb 

Find the food in main Dining Room somewhat limited and the always available Sirloin Steak very tough 

Breakfast and lunchtime buffet in the grill is pretty well organised and an extremely good selection all around .

The staff though are incredibly helpful especially a clutch of long term staff who truly go the extra mile .

Mask wearing makes speech clarity for the staff amusing at times but pointing to selections helps.

The standard cabin is rather badly designed unless your a singleton as the narrow bit between bed and stiff sliding wardrobe doors means couples need to be very organised indeed to not fall over each other .

Draw storage very limited a common / complaint  i have seen printed elsewhere 

Have arranged to see a De luxe cabin which apparently has a Walk in Wardrobe ...more later on that issue 

Other half takes big issue with " all inclusive claim" because what drinks are included are def very limited indeed and more like Aldi/Lidl unbranded ??? 

Included Tour in Malaga was OK, but Malta was questionable and had to keep requesting guide increased volume so those in back 50% of Coach could actually hear and Toilet stop was not for over 2hrs on a 3hr tour ......problematic for some .

Not sure where the 2 posters above suggest Masks are placed at dinner other than on tablecloth

Have heard Jools Club described as Carnivore Restuarant ....personally we found the Fillet Steak and the menu a delight .

The laundries are good once you fathom the little black power button on washing machine but driers results seem a bit haphazard even on Automatic dry .

16 hours ago, phillipahain said:

Other half takes big issue with " all inclusive claim" because what drinks are included are def very limited indeed and more like Aldi/Lidl unbranded ??? 

Comments on Saga "all inclusive " vary from quite good to basic. If Saga truely  wants to live up to boutique then basic won't do.  Can only wait and see.

The weather started off cold and windy with rough seas. If I remember correctly, the Captain said 8 meter swells. The sick bags were out.

From Malaga onwards things have improved, generally calm seas, plenty of sun, with temperatures in the low to mid 20s and sometimes as high as 28.

Edited by Janet-
Blasted autospell

We were on Discovery in August and had such a wonderful waitress we asked to be seated in her section again. She looks after us that well that we have only ventured once, so far, into the specialities. We enjoyed the food.

There are only 620 passengers on board so there shouldn't be any problems getting multiple bookings if wanted.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Janet- said:

Sorry, having trouble with the quote button.

How about putting your masks in a pocket, handbag, tucked into your waistband or shirt. In fact anywhere you would put a handkerchief.

Have you tried most suitable dinner attire dresses and skirts today ???    None of mine have pockets 

Thank you LandC yes we are having a good time. Expecting to arrive in Istanbul at 1900 today.

Back to my thoughts on  food. I find it well cooked and presented with a good variety. Some days I find I struggle to make my mind up and want it all. Perhaps I'd better tell Saga to arrange a people carrier for the return journey and not just a car!

Last night we ate at the Club and had a good steak but next time I think I'll ask for a smaller portion.

I've also found that if you mention you like something to the waiter they offer to serve it to you the following day.

Catastrophe, we've eaten all the fresh strawberries, I did enjoy them with my porridge. Having to make do with mixed berries which I presume are frozen.

We've not been to afternoon tea so can't comment on that although I did have an embarcation scone with jam and clotted cream which was delicious.

After a busy few days I thought I'd post a few food photos, but have had to give up, don't know if it's the lack of band with or just my bumbling fingers. Incidentally I've found WiFi to be reasonable.

We have another antigen test today.

Reception has completed our Passenger Locator Form so that's something we do not have to worry about. The day 2 after arrival test will be delivered to our cabins on the last night along with instructions. I must say Saga are making it very easy for us.