Ice Skates

2 hours ago, Hogbay said:

Check out Jordan at 8:00 she starts her warm up for cast .add 30 kids out there 🤔

Ha!  95% of the stuff they're doing I can't even do so no concerns there.  You all seem to think my "practice" is somehow equal to this kind of "practice".  I assure you - it is not.

• Like 1

My understanding from other's experiences is that the "ice" isn't ice like you expect it to be. It's very different from a cold ice rink.  I know they have skates for those that want to free skate, but everything I've seen is it's a different experience from real ice skating.  I know they provide skates.  I used to skate and had my own skates when I was a teenager but that was a long time ago lol.  The videos I've seen of the free skate time is very limited and not what you'd have available at a regular rink.

It has been interesting to see how the rules changed (and not for the better) over time. I have been on Liberty about a dozen times over a 4+ year period. Originally, the rules were pretty simple: no electronics on the ice, pants that cover the knees, wear a helmet, and try not to run over anyone. Saw some amazing kids doing twists/turns/tricks in the middle and everyone stayed out of their way. In one case, one of the performers even came on the ice and helped some kids learn some tricks. On subsequent cruises they started regulating what people could wear, started forcing the use of elbow/knee pads, and stopped the good skaters from doing any "tricks". On the last couple they were yelling at people for "excessive speed" (more than a slow walk) and would not even allow backwards skating. I pointed out that they were prohibiting things that they actually showed as OK on the safety video. The worker just shrugged. At this point, it is no more than a gimmick so that people can say they "ice-skated on the ocean". That being said, who knows what differences there will be post-covid. Will find out soon.          

5 hours ago, Rosy Season said:

Ha!  95% of the stuff they're doing I can't even do so no concerns there.  You all seem to think my "practice" is somehow equal to this kind of "practice".  I assure you - it is not.

Not at all was ,though,  inspirational., sorry 🤫

On 11/4/2021 at 2:51 PM, Rosy Season said:

I figure skate - the hockey players are the real nemesis at a public skate lol. Just practicing single elements or spins - no big full rink programs or anything. 

Wow, such continued hate here and in your other posts for someone else's sport. 

19 hours ago, Rosy Season said:

If I get in Mohawks and crossovers then I’ll be happy lol.  I just don’t want to be away from the ice for two weeks because that is a real pain to come back to!

I imagine for a high level figure skater it would be totally worthless to use the ice rink.  I’m nowhere near that level and just keeping the muscles warm is enough for me.  Although I refuse to use loaner skates - I’d be hanging on to the wall in those too!

Anyway, if your goal is to keep the muscles in shape so you can return in 2 weeks, you might want to talk with your trainer about off-ice stuff you can do in the gym.

Just because there is an ice rink does not mean it is meaningful for even warming up the muscles.

My kids were all competitive swimmers.  They would laugh if someone suggested bringing their jammers and goggles so that they could get a few easy laps in, because, you know, there is a pool on the ship.  Even if they could get a lap or two in, or even practice one or two turns on the wall, there would not be enough sustained time or distance for it to be meaningful  They just did their dryland stuff up in the gym to compensate and enjoyed the vacation.

Workout in the gym for anything meaningful to be able to return in shape in 2 weeks and enjoy your vacation.  I would not plan on being able to use the rink for anything. If it works out that there are not many people on the ice one or two times during your two weeks, bonus. But I would have a backup plan for workouts in the gym.

On 11/7/2021 at 7:36 AM, cured said:

Wow, such continued hate here and in your other posts for someone else's sport. 

Did you see the lol?  There is and always has been a rivalry between hockey and figure skaters on the rink.

And I do do off ice training as well. That's not the same kind of "keeping warm".  

And frankly, my question was if I could bring ice skates on board and this whole paged morphed into unsolicited advice on what I can (and mostly can't do).  

Edited by Rosy Season

On 11/6/2021 at 10:50 PM, RockHoundTX said:

It has been interesting to see how the rules changed (and not for the better) over time. I have been on Liberty about a dozen times over a 4+ year period. Originally, the rules were pretty simple: no electronics on the ice, pants that cover the knees, wear a helmet, and try not to run over anyone. Saw some amazing kids doing twists/turns/tricks in the middle and everyone stayed out of their way. In one case, one of the performers even came on the ice and helped some kids learn some tricks. On subsequent cruises they started regulating what people could wear, started forcing the use of elbow/knee pads, and stopped the good skaters from doing any "tricks". On the last couple they were yelling at people for "excessive speed" (more than a slow walk) and would not even allow backwards skating. I pointed out that they were prohibiting things that they actually showed as OK on the safety video. The worker just shrugged. At this point, it is no more than a gimmick so that people can say they "ice-skated on the ocean". That being said, who knows what differences there will be post-covid. Will find out soon.          

I totally get it.  Going backwards in such a small space is a hazard. Also any kind of move where you lift your leg above knee level is also hazardous.  As well as going really fast.  I did read that the performers no longer come out and give tips which makes sense because then they can be held liable if anything happened.

None of which I would do.  I'm an adult skater and I skate amongst kids all of the time so I tend to be over cautious.  Most adult skaters are far more cautious than kids.  We want to fall even less than they do!

On 11/7/2021 at 7:36 AM, cured said:

My kids were all competitive swimmers.  They would laugh if someone suggested bringing their jammers and goggles so that they could get a few easy laps in, because, you know, there is a pool on the ship.  Even if they could get a lap or two in, or even practice one or two turns on the wall, there would not be enough sustained time or distance for it to be meaningful  They just did their dryland stuff up in the gym to compensate and enjoyed the vacation.

Workout in the gym for anything meaningful to be able to return in shape in 2 weeks and enjoy your vacation.  I would not plan on being able to use the rink for anything. If it works out that there are not many people on the ice one or two times during your two weeks, bonus. But I would have a backup plan for workouts in the gym.

Just because it wouldn't be meaningful to your kids doesn't mean that other people can't find value in an activity on the ship.  

I will plan on being able to use the rink to keep my skating muscles warm.  In a way that follows their rules and does not put myself or anyone else in danger. That could mean merely forward stroking and crossovers around the curve. Let me remind you: I'm an adult skater - I assure you that falling is not something that I aspire to do.  Thank you.

Every time I’ve been skating on ship people were having tons of fun. Even the little kids holding on for dear life between falls. Up to and including the really good skaters having to dodge the fallen little children. 

Yes the rink is small. Yes the skates are horrible. No, you can’t build up speed and do a double Lutz*. But you are ice skating. On a cruise ship. In the Caribbean. That automatically makes it fun and puts a smile on your face. Enjoy. 

* Been watching ice skating for 40+ years. Still couldn’t tell you what a Lutz is. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, zekekelso said:

Every time I’ve been skating on ship people were having tons of fun. Even the little kids holding on for dear life between falls. Up to and including the really good skaters having to dodge the fallen little children. 

Yes the rink is small. Yes the skates are horrible. No, you can’t build up speed and do a double Lutz*. But you are ice skating. On a cruise ship. In the Caribbean. That automatically makes it fun and puts a smile on your face. Enjoy. 

* Been watching ice skating for 40+ years. Still couldn’t tell you what a Lutz is. 

It’s the hardest jump to learn before an axel lol.  Basically from a backwards glide you dig your right toe pick behind you and take off from your left foot outside edge and then land on your right foot outside edge after a full revolution in the air.

If you see a bunch of holes in the corner of the rink they’re lutz holes from a figure skater driving that toe pick into the ice to practice lutz jumps.